Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Hazardous to your health!
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id really like to become a better rider and i am currently part of a bike club so i will also be asking other riders the same question. what can i do off the bike to be a better rider? not necesscarily endurance wise (definitely a bonus) but more on the handling (i need better handling and more confudence on downhills) and strength side. I consider myself to be all mountain rider.

ill post a few links i found to help this discussion out...(not quite what im looking for)

Technique: 50 Ways To Be A Better Mountain Biker - BikeRadar

5 Ways to Become a Better Climber | Active.com

Trail Running to Become a Better Mountain Biker | Mountain Bike Blog || SINGLETRACKS.COM

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your stats, a bit of your history, and fitness level would help to recommend a benificial workout.
allright, i ride all mountain/xc
want to race, have several races lined up
been riding for 2 years now and i want to be faster, stronger (ie jumps, switchbacks)
fitness level is pretty good but going to be better, i currently ride 15 miles in about 1 hour or 1.5 hours (with 1 to 0 breaks lol) depending on who i am with. i will start riding 30 miles next week hopefully!

i ride a specialized rockhopper hardtail, cant imagine what that tidbit of info would do but there it is :)

i have access to a trackfield, a fully loaded gym (mountain climbing walls, weights, racquetball, resistance machines)

anything else i can be more specific with?

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of racing ? XC, DH, 4X, Endurance ?
regular xc and short track xc

i am gonna start riding dh but i highly doubt ill ever race dh, at least not until i get a fs bike

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you going to do the other six days a week?
i try to ride at least twice a week, 3 times if im lucky (soon i should be able to ride 4 times a week)! i play ultimate frisbee twice a week for one hour, i go to the gym when i feel like it and i play racquetball, or i run or i hit the weights...no real routine

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Personally, I don't go to the gym. At least not anymore. I just cross train with other sports. Rock climbing will tone you up good. As well as ocean kayaking. Hiking with sand bags in a backpack can strengthen your legs too.

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
holy crap lol i like the sand bag idea :) i kayak in the summer, not so much when the water is cold haha

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
I would suggest cross training in different sports and a more solid routine of some sort. As a trainer, I would have you doing more of a HiiT workout. Lower weight, higher intensity, higher reps, one exercise to the next with minimal rest between each exercise. Basically a big cycle of exercises. The only rest you get is going from one exercise to the next. When you finish the series of exercise, you get a break. Then you get to repeat the cycle. This will help with strength, stamina, cardio. Plyometrics is also very good. You can do a search on Youtube for either Hiit or plyometrics training and get some good ideas. Alot of the plyometric exercises will help with coordination and core muscle groups as well which directly translate to your cycling skills/abilities.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Ride a bike to get better performance on the bike:

Do intervals 2 days a week, ride up hills and repeat 1 day a week, ride 2 easy long rides a week, rest or really easy spin on days after intervals.

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would suggest cross training in different sports and a more solid routine of some sort. As a trainer, I would have you doing more of a HiiT workout. Lower weight, higher intensity, higher reps, one exercise to the next with minimal rest between each exercise. Basically a big cycle of exercises. The only rest you get is going from one exercise to the next. When you finish the series of exercise, you get a break. Then you get to repeat the cycle. This will help with strength, stamina, cardio. Plyometrics is also very good. You can do a search on Youtube for either Hiit or plyometrics training and get some good ideas. Alot of the plyometric exercises will help with coordination and core muscle groups as well which directly translate to your cycling skills/abilities.
okay awesome i was thinking of doing something similar to this

·
Registered
313 Posts
Rowing, whether it's a ERG or on the water is fantastic. Builds core strength and endurance. I use an ERG and do 10, 500 meter sprints. It's not very good as far as rowing standards go but it really helps.

The other strength builder I do are simple planks. Great for core strength.

·
Premium Member
7,264 Posts
If your not doing much, and need some upper body and core strength that'll surely help, especially on shorter, faster races. To go from 15 to 30 miles just like that can slow your progress depending on you.
Diet, especially when training and days before the race is key.
Do some road, or flat dirt, less intense, much longer rides at a more even output to build stamina, as well as mtb or interval type training to build strength and speed. Do both types a few times a week.
Look into lactic threshold training. It can certainly give you an advantage and keep you out in front.
For your first race think of yourself as a student and not the master.
Techniques can be learned some but both technique and confidence levels increase/improve on thier own , and start to just happen, and when it starts to become more subconscious, you know you're on your way.
Btw, there's a xc racing, training forum on here.

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^ thanks man ill look into the forum and there is a flatter trail out here, but currently im mad at it lol

thanks for alll your help guys! keep them coming i plan to take everyones advice on this

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rowing, whether it's a ERG or on the water is fantastic. Builds core strength and endurance. I use an ERG and do 10, 500 meter sprints. It's not very good as far as rowing standards go but it really helps.

The other strength builder I do are simple planks. Great for core strength.
i do the workouts but dont know the names, what exactly are planks?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.