Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
know of any backdoor fireroads, pineapple roads, military, utility company roads that can be put to good use mountain biking? i noticed on google earth there seems to be a lot of these types of off road trails off the beaten path if one wants to go exploring especially between wahiawa and haleiwa. probably more in kahuku and makakilo upper kunia area as well. it's just that they may be on private property and not any state maintained trail.

·
Registered
549 Posts
here's one for ya. . . Pupukea Hghts Rd all the way to the top until you reach the Boy Scout Camp on the left; continue on the dirt road about 50 yds in until reaching the (green) gate; continue past the gate for another 1/2 mi or so until you access West Kaunala ("Cambodia") Trail on the left. . . enjoy the technical singletrack until it spits you out on a second jeep-road. (most will turn right on this road and another right at the next intersection to return to the Boy Scout Camp) If you turn left and continue on this jeep-road, it will eventually lead to Kahuku Moto-X Park. Be sure to bring lots of water and some snacks; there's some serious downhills and killer climbs along the way but it's well worth it. There's some good riding in the moto-x park as well if you have the energy. Go now while its the dry season (it can be done during the rainy season but it's an ass-kicker).

·
Registered
65 Posts
pupukea to kahuku

are you allowed to ride that fireroad past kaunola? i thought i saw it gated for the army only.

what about kahuku motox? mtb allowed there?

i actually thought about checking it out today (kahuku motox) on the scenic drive back from mokuleia, but there was a lot of traffic and just kept on driving to get out of that area.

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cambodia

I've rode Cambodia a few times, never had a problem following the directions as described by Emptybeer. I is only if you go further into the backroads there may be problems with the military practice areas, but you will know because there will be more gates with barbed wire and signs.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Roads in this area and Kahuku moto-x are open during the weekends and federal holidays. I've seen some military exercises up there but those guys were in the tent watching football (should've used the Hummers for shuttle-runs) and the moto-x guys are pretty mellow as long as you yield on trails. The only off-limits areas at Kahuku moto-x would be the tracks for the dirt-bikes and the quads. In fact, take a break along the track, these guys are good fun to watch especially off some of the jumps.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
thats the rte i always used to take--then when exiting the motocross track take the hiway back to the parking area at foodland or acrossed from it.

emptybe_er said:
here's one for ya. . . Pupukea Hghts Rd all the way to the top until you reach the Boy Scout Camp on the left; continue on the dirt road about 50 yds in until reaching the (green) gate; continue past the gate for another 1/2 mi or so until you access West Kaunala ("Cambodia") Trail on the left. . . enjoy the technical singletrack until it spits you out on a second jeep-road. (most will turn right on this road and another right at the next intersection to return to the Boy Scout Camp) If you turn left and continue on this jeep-road, it will eventually lead to Kahuku Moto-X Park. Be sure to bring lots of water and some snacks; there's some serious downhills and killer climbs along the way but it's well worth it. There's some good riding in the moto-x park as well if you have the energy. Go now while its the dry season (it can be done during the rainy season but it's an ass-kicker).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts