Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are some good places to go mountain bike riding at night in the Columbia, SC area. I love Harbison, but they say no riding at night. I expect my new bike light will arrive today so I'm excited to try it out!

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
The Palmetto trail on Ft Jackson is legal. Good place to start because its an easy trail. Lynches Wood up in Newberry is also legal but is a more techy trail. K3 over by Sumter is also open I think. I bet Sesqui is closed at night, but I'm not sure.

·
Boom Yow!
84 Posts
dusty1014 said:
Where are some good places to go mountain bike riding at night in the Columbia, SC area. I love Harbison, but they say no riding at night. I expect my new bike light will arrive today so I'm excited to try it out!
I hate to hear they don't allow night riding at Harbison anymore. I used to night ride all the time out there when you had to park on Lost Arrow Rd. and the only trail in was the Eagle trail IIRC. When did this come about? I moved outta there about 8-9 years ago.
What about Sesqui? We used to slide in through a side trail. Winter time was the only time to ride there. It got too loose in the summer.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Cannon Ball said:
I hate to hear they don't allow night riding at Harbison anymore. I used to night ride all the time out there when you had to park on Lost Arrow Rd. and the only trail in was the Eagle trail IIRC. When did this come about? I moved outta there about 8-9 years ago.
What about Sesqui? We used to slide in through a side trail. Winter time was the only time to ride there. It got too loose in the summer.
Harbison has always closed at sunset afaik. I suspect that's why you had to park on Lost Creek Rd. Nowadays people park elsewhere for night rides, but its still illegal and I think the powers that be are less inclined to look the other way.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Once upon a time

wooglin said:
Harbison has always closed at sunset afaik. I suspect that's why you had to park on Lost Creek Rd. Nowadays people park elsewhere for night rides, but its still illegal and I think the powers that be are less inclined to look the other way.
We used to go out to the BMX track and ride those woods/trail at night. Wasn't a ton of fun but at least it was "legal."

Harbison is for sure off limits these days. The last couple times I rode at night there, we had cops chasing us around. Not like they could catch us in their cars :D

Machester is legal at night, lynches is legal and cleaned up thanks to some Harrells folk.

I know some urban rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays have been happening too. Just don't participate in the gravity challanges in the parking garages.

Peace.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are these urban night rides thru the dudes at harrell's? we've ridden our cruiser bikes around town to burrito and would see a "flock" of cyclists wearing harrell kits on mtbs with lights and stuff. just wondering... Dusty1014, there are some good service road downhills near the river as well that make for some "exciting" if not abbreviated night riding off of Elmwood Ave and I-26...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
kenpuke said:
Are these urban night rides thru the dudes at harrell's? we've ridden our cruiser bikes around town to burrito and would see a "flock" of cyclists wearing harrell kits on mtbs with lights and stuff. just wondering... Dusty1014, there are some good service road downhills near the river as well that make for some "exciting" if not abbreviated night riding off of Elmwood Ave and I-26...
Yes they are the Harrell's folk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't forget they filmed DELIVERANCE here.

I can here my White Trash brethren now. A biker at night.

"Hey biker boy in them fancy pants you shore gotta pretty mouth. Can you squell like a pig." yee haw

One more reason I ride with a concealed weapon here in the Pee Dee region.

G

·
Dusty,I feel your pain. I bought a light back in December and I've yet to get to use it. It completely sucks that you can't bike at Harbison at night; although I've heard people do it anyway. I guess I'll have to check out Fort Jackson or Sesqui to get in a night ride here soon. I don't have much time after work during the week so Lynches or Manchester is out of the question for me.

G

·
I would be up for a night ride. 6:30 sounds good to me, it just depends on the day though. I pick my daughter up from her gramps house on that side of town on weeknights and so I could do it on the way over there...depending on what they have going on.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
bigtime said:
I would be up for a night ride. 6:30 sounds good to me, it just depends on the day though. I pick my daughter up from her gramps house on that side of town on weeknights and so I could do it on the way over there...depending on what they have going on.
That's three. Shall we shoot for Tuesday? Best place to access the trail is at the gate on Leesburg Rd, but we could also meet at the gate on Jackson Blvd and ride up to the trail from there.

Cannon Ball, yes, Paul still owns Harrell's. Way on the other side of town for me so I don't get there often enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.