Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bear
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I've got a run of the mill singlespeed disc hub Can I set this up with a fixed gear cog, minus the lockring, instead of the singlespeed freewheel ? Anybody run a setup like this? Want to setup a 29er SS that can be used fixed/free on one wheelset but still use the disc brakes....fixed when setup as a commuter and freewheel when off roading. Yes, I realize I'd have to swap cog for freewheel everytime I converted.

Bear

·
donkey
263 Posts
If your putting a fixed cog on a hub threaded for a freewheel, you should use some sort of loctite or similar thread locker in conjunction with a bb lock ring or something.. which would interfere with the installation of a freewheel (which usually involves grease). Just seems like a pain over all. Is there any chance you could get a cheap surly 135mm fixed hub and build it on a spare rim? that way you could have a suitable commuter wheelset with a slicker tire. just a thought.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wanted to do the samething but I end up ordering a a Complete wheel from Phil Wood with a fix Gear Hub that would take a Disk Brake.

I got the Wheel this week. I just love riding Fix when I am by myself. No one really understand what it is all about anyways.

I run 34/20 on my Bike so I now have 2 completely seperate Wheel, one Freewheel and one Fix gear. This way I dont even have to play with my Eccentric since my gearing never change I kept the same 34/20 on the Fix as well as on the Freewheel.

I change from one wheel to another in less than a minute.

No cheap but I like it and works awsome for me.

Dan

Good luck

·
donkey
263 Posts
xmynameisdan said:
Don't listen to that donkey, if you want to do it on the cheap, use a BB lockring.

Swapping the cog and freewheel is going to be a huge pain in the ass though. A flip-flip hub is cheap.
thats what i was saying... the swap is the catch. too bad he doesn't have a good friend to give him a free mavic rim

Edit: long story short, you can do it -- but its gonna be a huge huge huge pain. i know the op said he realized that, but he'll have to re-loc tite every time he swaps. I say try it and decide for yourself.

·
donkey
263 Posts
speaking of my fixed cog, its a bolt on from kogswell. they're about 25 bucks and bolt to 6-bolt IS disk mounts. The OP says he has a disk brake set-up, so that might be an option. I've also heard of something called a 'leg-breaker' cog from endlessbikes.com

not mine, but same thing: https://static.flickr.com/90/253474944_c45df81023.jpg

dan, get back to work... lemme know when your off, i want to ride your new shogun or whatever

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your getting a new wheel, get it built around a track hub, that way you can have a proer lockring installed, useing a BB Lockring is prety pointless anyway, if the sprocket can unscrew, then so can the lockring!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.