Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there are a number of threads in the PA forum about bikepacking in the Keystone state. I'm currently geared up to do a two-night trip out of the area with some "maple" friends.

But, I'm also planning to follow the brilliant advice here this summer:

https://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvani...-forest-983325-post12105120.html#post12105120

and set up some sort of Bald Eagle + Rothrock loop that hits mainly gravel with a bit of singletrack and tiny amounts of pavement if needed. The idea discussed in the post I linked is to use the Wilderness 101 as the "main" artery and add single track. Not that I plan on doing 101+ miles first go. Likely, I'll try to chunk out a short day, a long day, and a medium day; short circuit the 101; and identify some nice campsites.

I've done lots of day trips in Rothrock (particularly out of the lot near Tussey) and in Bald Eagle (starting from RB Winter). I have a few campsite possibilities in mind, but I'm debating whether to scout first (a couple day trips to the area) or to just plan a route and "send it".

So, as I find resources and sketch out plans, I'll post updates here.

Best,
Mark

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've done some offroad motorcycle events in the area, great riding! Bald eagle has some tasty single track for sure. As far as camping, get in touch with Union County Sportsmen's Club, they've been the host for our moto-events. Nice, super cheap bar on site, and showers too. Also Millheim seems like a nice little town with a Brewery and cafe on its main street if you're looking for places to swing through. Beautiful country, I think you'll have an epic ride!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roma,

Yes, I'd definitely like to figure out how to work Milheim into a visit. The brewpub is nice and I also sampled some of their wares at a BEMBA event a few years back! Thanks for the reminder. UCSC sounds like something to track down.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did a solo bikepacking trip in Bald Eagle State Forest and few years back and it was awesome! I had no set route when I started, just took a Purple Lizard map along and improvised as I rode. I covered about 80 miles in two days. Between the dirt roads, doubletrack and singletrack there are endless options. Might be time to for me to get back up there! Good luck with your ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.