Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Back in the saddle!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I use the Day Star Camelbak for riding. I run the tube through all the little loops on the shoulder straps, but it still seems a bit long. It rubs on my thigh as I ride and as I sweat my 'Off' rubs off onto it and then I ingest it. (ok that was a tricky sentence :rolleyes: )

I've tried rubbing it off with my gloved hands, but considering how dirty they can get I'm sure it's not making things any better. I've tried wrapping the tube around my chest strap, but as I have quite a bit of chest, it just seems to be in the way. Any tips on how to shorten the tube a bit?

Atty

·
Back in the saddle!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
formica said:
pull off the mouth piece, cut the tube to desired length with a utility knife, put mouthpiece back on.

or am I missing something?

formica
Probably not. I haven't had my camelbak for very long and didn't know I could just cut it. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can also leave some of the tubing in the camelbak itself. I don't pull mine all the way out, and sometimes I have to tuck some back in, but it keeps it the mouthpiece from banging off my knee and gathering a nice coating of red clay. Yum!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
MallieD said:
You can also leave some of the tubing in the camelbak itself. I don't pull mine all the way out, and sometimes I have to tuck some back in, but it keeps it the mouthpiece from banging off my knee and gathering a nice coating of red clay. Yum!
That worked with my old camelbak but with my new one if the tubing isn't all the way out it kinks and the flow of water stops. Seems to happen no matter how much I mess with it... I've just been routing it through straps, but cutting it a bit would make sense... It's just one of those things I can only remember I want to fix while I'm riding and then I forget about it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I like this

The Tube Director™ positions a drinking tube exactly where it's needed. A semi-rigid design adapts to any CamelBak® hydration system to make it totally hands-free.

MSRP (US only) - $10.00

I found for $8 at fogdog

With it pointed up it does not drip on my leg either.

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Under the arm

Instead of routing the tube over a shoulder, I route my tube under my arm and clip it on the strap facing up. It's easy to drink from it this way, and it is out of the way of puddle splashes, legs, etc. The tube has to be long enough so it isn't snug under the arm, or it would be uncomfortable and the water would warm up pretty darn fast.

Spike

Atty said:
I use the Day Star Camelbak for riding. I run the tube through all the little loops on the shoulder straps, but it still seems a bit long. It rubs on my thigh as I ride and as I sweat my 'Off' rubs off onto it and then I ingest it. (ok that was a tricky sentence :rolleyes: )

I've tried rubbing it off with my gloved hands, but considering how dirty they can get I'm sure it's not making things any better. I've tried wrapping the tube around my chest strap, but as I have quite a bit of chest, it just seems to be in the way. Any tips on how to shorten the tube a bit?

Atty

·
Back in the saddle!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spike said:
Instead of routing the tube over a shoulder, I route my tube under my arm and clip it on the strap facing up. It's easy to drink from it this way, and it is out of the way of puddle splashes, legs, etc. The tube has to be long enough so it isn't snug under the arm, or it would be uncomfortable and the water would warm up pretty darn fast.

Spike
Thanks so much for all the great ideas. Like Connie, I would always forget to mess with it when I was finished riding, and only realized it would bother me while I was on the trails. My husband didn't seem thrilled that I was going to cut my tube, so I decided to try tucking it in my pack and not pulling it out all the way. It worked for a little while, but I found that I had to retuck it every now and then as I rode along. I'm thinking of tucking and taping it in the pack, but I may try the under the arm thing next and see how that suits me.

That tube director looks great! My line doesn't drip yet, but it would sure save me from having to fumble for the tube every time I wanted a sip.

·
\|/ What 60 looks like
105 Posts
Atty said:
My husband didn't seem thrilled that I was going to cut my tube
WHAT? Did you explain to him that you were talking about your Camelbak?:)

Pull the bite valve, wack off an inch and try it. Still too long? Repeat. This is not rocket science here.

Is it possible that your husband wants you ingesting the Off? :eek:

·
Back in the saddle!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GaryS said:
WHAT? Did you explain to him that you were talking about your Camelbak?:)

Pull the bite valve, wack off an inch and try it. Still too long? Repeat. This is not rocket science here.

Is it possible that your husband wants you ingesting the Off? :eek:
Gee, Gary, you nailed it. He wants me ingesting the Off.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The blue "L"........

Camelbak makes two 90 degree blue plastic connectors for their tubing systems; they run about $5 to $8 at REI, etc. Once the blue tube comes out of the pack and down thru the metal ring on the shoulder strap, you can cut the tubing and insert the "L" connector. I like the one with the little yellow "off" lever. This then routes your bite valve tubing left over (which you could cut to any length) horizontally across the chest...and it hangs down about mid-abdomen....just adjust the bite valve angle to fit the mouth when you want fluids.Sorry...but without a picture, this DOES sound like rocket science! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.