Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trail condition goes from moist hardpack some roots single track to hardpack dry dusty dirt with much quarter -golfball stones on top.

IRC Mythos XC 2.1----> common used tire, looks like a good all around gripper but has large spaced side knobs?

Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1 -----> oldie and on the narrow side but has large sharp teeth biting side knobs, heck all the knobs look like true digger dirt magnets

WTB Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 ----> says 2.4 but really looks like a 2.25 or less to me, knobs are rather shortish all over

Comments welcome, please.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Destroy said:
Trail condition goes from moist hardpack some roots single track to hardpack dry dusty dirt with much quarter -golfball stones on top.

IRC Mythos XC 2.1----> common used tire, looks like a good all around gripper but has large spaced side knobs?

Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1 -----> oldie and on the narrow side but has large sharp teeth biting side knobs, heck all the knobs look like true digger dirt magnets

WTB Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 ----> says 2.4 but really looks like a 2.25 or less to me, knobs are rather shortish all over

Comments welcome, please.
No tire corners very well in that size rock over hardpack.

Why have you picked these three?

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,438 Posts
You've posted pics of the rear Mythos, and the Smoke is the rear of the Smoke / Dart pair. Any reason you want the rear version on the front?

The top two are on the skinny side for that sort of loose stuff. Have you thought of the likes of the Nevegal 2.1 or even the 2.35?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought these 3 cause they were on the cheap. :)

That Smoke was my error, didn't realize there was a frt specific called something totally different. Stupid. Others are frts even if pics don't show it.

The golfballs are mostly stuck in the dirt, not all are loose. There is gravel/dirt mix abound in all corners however.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Please don't go only with cheap. Fixing your teeth, stitching you up, and wheeling you out to McDonalds on Sundays will not be cheap.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Agree...first two tires are rear tires...so they aren't going to do that well (though the front versions of these two are decent). The Mutano Raptor is great on hardpack but not on loose golfball sized gravel...nothing is great on that. But, look for something with large aggressive side knobs...Navegals, Moto Raptor, and my personal favorite the Hutchinson Barracuda.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LoL, so no one wants to even try and make an educated guess?

Just pretend you could win $10k if you beat a certain time through 12miles of crazy twisty dry gravely single track but could only choose from these 3 front tires. ;)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Destroy said:

Just pretend you could win $10k if you beat a certain time through 12miles of crazy twisty dry gravely single track but could only choose from these 3 front tires. ;)
Like everybody has said, none of the above. That guess would not be educated.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
A front Mythos

Destroy said:

If you truly have a 2.1 Mythos front as you claim (since the picture is of the rear) and it looks like this:

Then it would be my pick of the three you have, using the Smoke in the rear.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Destroy said:
In this case, that would not be an option so it's really wrong but thanks anyway.
really wrong is buying tires just because they are cheap then posting to find out what you should be using then telling people they are wrong when they say that none of the tires that you so hastily bought are fitting for the application you want.:nono:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CharacterZero said:
really wrong is buying tires just because they are cheap then posting to find out what you should be using then telling people they are wrong when they say that none of the tires that you so hastily bought are fitting for the application you want.:nono:
Says you. My tires fit my needs like I want, wouldn't have bought them otherwise....except for the Smoke, didn't realize Dart was the front version, gonna exchange ASAP.

All I really wanted was many opinions on these 3 tires only. I could care less about other models at this time but I appreciate the extra suggestions.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,438 Posts
If it was me, I'd run the biggest on the front = the WTB, as it can be run softer for more 'bag" over the rocky stuff. I'd put the Smoke on the back, they are a pretty good tyre in their own right. The Smoke can be run on the front, it was brought out before the Dart, and people used to use them both ends until the Dart came along anyway. But use the biggest tyre of the three up front.

As Shiggy said, nothing works perfectly over golf balls, but bigger is better in the rocky stuff IMO.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Destroy said:
I bought these 3 cause they were on the cheap. :)

That Smoke was my error, didn't realize there was a frt specific called something totally different. Stupid. Others are frts even if pics don't show it.

The golfballs are mostly stuck in the dirt, not all are loose. There is gravel/dirt mix abound in all corners however.
Since you already have them, ride each and see which works best for you.

BTW the Smoke is NOT a rear-specific tire. It was designed and released several years before the front-specific Smoke Dart.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
pump the front up to 45lbs for max grip on the dry corners and go way faster than you ever have before on the first corner hit it hard, reallly lean way over :thumbsup:

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Higher pressure for MORE grip?

dusthuffer said:
pump the front up to 45lbs for max grip on the dry corners and go way faster than you ever have before on the first corner hit it hard, reallly lean way over :thumbsup:
Ke?:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts