Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I've had this for some time, just have not posted much on it. I have done mostly commute rides on it, with almost no dirt. Today that changed.

Last fall, lanpope asked me about a Scorcher I had that he was interested in getting since his riding situation had changed. Mine had changed as well, so my Scorcher went east to Tennessee and his Lobster came west to California.

Fun bike, basically a Rock Lobster cyclocross bike with a tall head tube and room to fit a 29er x 2.3 tire. Wheels were built by Mikesee originally when Lance built the bike, DT Hugi road hubs, 28 front 32 rear with DT Swiss 1.1 road rims. I have them setup tubeless with Stans yellow tape, valves and solution. Weeeeee! :D

Custom Rock Lobster frame and stem
Deore LX crankset 22 / 32 / 44
Deore LX front and rear derailleurs
Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters
Deore V brakes
Dia Compe 287V levers
Salsa Bell Lap bars
Titec Carbon Seatpost
Sella Italia Flyte saddle
WTB Nano front / Vupine rear usually at 27 psi front and 32 psi rear

I went exploring today, following a hopeful route I had loaded into my Garmin, looking for a mostly dirt rideable way to get out into Montana de Oro State Park, were I ride and work as a volunteer for trail maintenance with CCCMB, our trail club.

I rode quite a bit of pavement, searching for a way out behind town, but what I found was lots and lots of sand.

Guess I should have known better if I had read the signs, huh?

So I did some trail brushing and cleaned up the graffiti from a couple benches on one of the trails that I love at Montana de Oro.

before

after a wire brush and a little elbow grease

This shows where I was looking to find a route. They are hiking trails on the map, but soft sand that maybe a Pugsley would be ok.

Here is the gps track.

https://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/32982666

Did I mention lizards? I love these guys........ :thumbsup:

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No flex in the stem that I notice. It is 110mm of steel, and along with that tall head tube and big fork blades, it tracks very well, climbing or descending. It is a cyclocross geometry, so quick handling compared to my Canzo FS.

That quickness surprised me a couple times, once climbing switchbacks and descending some flowy single track. I was just turning the bars more than I needed to turn them, cut the switchback way tight, and was going off the inner edge of the trail, accidentally cutting corners. I'm too accustomed to how much I have to move the 29" wide flat bars on my Canzo FS and Rita SS. ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Indeed a nice bike. I know a place it could go if you get sick of it! nudge nudge wink wink. Lance took my Hunter from me for a bit, so I know we ride similar sized bikes.

If I were you, I'd try out some Salsa Woodchippers on that guy. Drop isn't as deep as the Bell Laps, making descending a much more comfortable thing to do. Especially off road. That is if you plan on more dirt excursions with it.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Rock Lobsters are by far one of my favorite frames. There's a special place in my heart for Rock Lobsters since we used to break our BMX frames and we'd take them to Paul so he could weld them for us for what we had in our pockets. McDonalds was right across the street, so we'd get food while we waited. He even welded that Dyno frame shown in my avatar :) Very fond memories of growing up in Santa Cruz...

Here's my brother's bike, before and after. This frame is 20 years old - his race bike is scandium.

Before:
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

After:
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
~martini~ said:
Indeed a nice bike. I know a place it could go if you get sick of it! nudge nudge wink wink. Lance took my Hunter from me for a bit, so I know we ride similar sized bikes.

If I were you, I'd try out some Salsa Woodchippers on that guy. Drop isn't as deep as the Bell Laps, making descending a much more comfortable thing to do. Especially off road. That is if you plan on more dirt excursions with it.
Sure, martini, sure. :rolleyes: ;)

Part of the agreement with Lance on the bike swap was that the other got first rights to get the bike back that they gave up if the other wanted to sell. You would get second choice, but I doubt I will let this go. I've wanted an all rounder like this for too long, and now that I know how well it does on single track, it is a keeper. I expected it to be great on pavement and dirt roads, but never thought it would be so good on narrow trails. Silly me! :eek: :D

I have looked at the Woodchippers and will try them. I had Midges on this at first, but swapped the Bell Laps since I had them and they are a better bar for me on roads, plus I moved a spacer to lower the stem. I did not take it down anything very steep (but I was tempted!) and a shallower drop I know would be better since I have run the Midge on a couple other 29er SS bikes.

@Dion I coveted this bike when Lance first posted about it some years back, and then was following the Fargo from rumors to completion. I just did not need the full touring ability of it, so this is perfect for me and what I want to do. I do like your bros Lobster as well. I like the color on the repaint, looks like my first ever MTB that I got in 1979, same color.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Great to see her all built up. The build looks perfect. I loved the bike, but since I moved east I just did not ride it as much as before and it made me sad to see it hanging in the basement when I went down there.

The bike does handle quickly. I did the oversteer thing on my local trails too when I first got it. I think it is somehow related to the rake on the fork. Paul told me he gave the bike a slightly slack hta and extra rake to make sure I had toe clearance for the fat tires with the shorter tt. I found that on really long rides, I liked the quick steering as the input required was very slight. Bike almost steers from the hips.

In any event, made for a great handling bike. I hope you get many great miles out of it.

Your Scorcher is serving me well here in Chattanooga too:

Great townie / grocery getter. Nice fit in the stable too.

LP

PS - 1st option to re-buy still stands. Tell Marty to keep his grubby hands off! ;)

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
goin back to cali......went through my head as i peeped this thread. i've got an old circa 90's steel tigged rock lobster frame, 26" though, took it bike camping in henry coe last summer.....friction shifting....20-25 lbs of gear....coit road...no problem (well a little walking). i worked for the blacksmith next to paul's shop on the mission st extension for a bit when i was going to ucsc back in 99 or 00, sometimes i'd just go in and stare @ all the cool stuff. hunter shared the shop w/him @ that time too.

actually hunter just finished an all arounder for me. while i was waiting for that i picked up one of those gryphon thingies from martini. i guess we have relatively similar tastes, or the older i get, the more i hate all the marketing around full suspension or all mountain bikes. the only thing i'd say is that the newer outboard style cranks look to bulky for steel frames, i like an older square taper. i just have to ask, how much does it weigh? oh, what kind of bar tape too, leather or synthetic? head/seat tube angle? looks like you've got rack mounts? dirt tour? thanks for sharing, looks great, and have fun w/that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
lobsters

my wife and i have a few of pauls bikes under our roof (5-6). he builds great bikes that are meant to be ridden and ridden hard. Most of pauls bikes steer from the hips as he builds alot of race bikes and little shift in weight can put you around the bend. Great fun.:thumbsup:

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nativeson said:
goin back to cali......went through my head as i peeped this thread. i've got an old circa 90's steel tigged rock lobster frame, 26" though, took it bike camping in henry coe last summer.....friction shifting....20-25 lbs of gear....coit road...no problem (well a little walking). i worked for the blacksmith next to paul's shop on the mission st extension for a bit when i was going to ucsc back in 99 or 00, sometimes i'd just go in and stare @ all the cool stuff. hunter shared the shop w/him @ that time too.

actually hunter just finished an all arounder for me. while i was waiting for that i picked up one of those gryphon thingies from martini. i guess we have relatively similar tastes, or the older i get, the more i hate all the marketing around full suspension or all mountain bikes. the only thing i'd say is that the newer outboard style cranks look to bulky for steel frames, i like an older square taper. i just have to ask, how much does it weigh? oh, what kind of bar tape too, leather or synthetic? head/seat tube angle? looks like you've got rack mounts? dirt tour? thanks for sharing, looks great, and have fun w/that.
I have not weighed it at all, it was somewhat of an economy build with no eye to weight, just function at a lower price. HTA 71.5, STA 73 if Lance's memory is correct. That is a synthetic tape, I want to get some kind of real leather when I settle completely on bars; I also want to try and route the shifter cables under the bar tape, ala current road bikes, since I found the way they are now bothered me as my hands moved around on the dirt shifting more often with the ups and downs.

Rear rack mounts, nothing specific on the front. I have some ideas of doing some dirt road touring, but have not looked into racks much. On the cranks, a friend loaned me some elegant older Ritchey compact cranks with an Octalink interface. I could not get a BB wide enough to clear the crank arms with the wide flair of the chain stays; either the inner chainring or of off drive crank arm would rub, so I went to the LX mtn cranks to match the LX derailleurs I had used. I have longer range ideas of a Middleburn crankset. An Alfine hub is another idea too, we will see.

Post up your Hunter when you get it.

SC RockLobster said:
my wife and i have a few of pauls bikes under our roof (5-6). he builds great bikes that are meant to be ridden and ridden hard. Most of pauls bikes steer from the hips as he builds alot of race bikes and little shift in weight can put you around the bend. Great fun.:thumbsup:
This ride got me really excited about doing more single track on this bike than I had before, thanks to the handling. I just rode it like my other bikes (I have an FS, HT and rigid SS 29ers), and that was too much motion on my part; I need to concentrate on the steering from the hips aspect of this bike. Sweet.

You can post your Lobsters and turn this into a "Lobster Love Shack" orgy if you want. :thumbsup:

mijome07 said:
How does the carbon seat post do in dampening road buzz and small trail bumps?
I think so, but I actually had a loaner carbon post on here when I first built it, from the same friend who gave me the Ritchey cranks. I have aluminum posts on all the other bikes. I just got this post for such a low price that it was the choice. I understand that Ti posts give the best ride cushioning, but they have to be long to be functional, and the amount of post out of the frame in this case may not make much difference. This rides very smoothly, probably more because of the geometry and the "steel is real" factor than the seat post. :cool:

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
keep us updated on your bar choice.....so far i've got some bell laps on my hunter and soma junebugs on the gryphon. i'd love a flared out drop bar with a more usable ramp section that wasn' t an ergo design (just for aesthetics), plus i like the strength of the 31.8 clamp (does the wood chipper do that). hunter's still gonna build me a custom stem once i get it dialed in, or i might just have him help me build one.

i've got an old man mountain front rack that attached via the qr skewer that i swap between bikes, i like it a lot.

the geometry on my hunter's similar, steeper seatube @ 74/headtube's 71.5". don't think i could fit a giant 29er tire, but it fit one of those 44 mutanoraptor's (?) fine out back, sure i'd get a firecross 45 in there too. the hunter's almost done, picked it up last week, hung out w/rick a bit and tried to ride his pump track. built up a wheelset and put most of it together. just the shifters and brakes, and all the finishing touches are left......just a lil' burnt after work these days to work on the bike....... i'll try to get some pics up soon.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nativeson said:
keep us updated on your bar choice.....so far i've got some bell laps on my hunter and soma junebugs on the gryphon. i'd love a flared out drop bar with a more usable ramp section that wasn' t an ergo design (just for aesthetics), plus i like the strength of the 31.8 clamp (does the wood chipper do that). hunter's still gonna build me a custom stem once i get it dialed in, or i might just have him help me build one.

i've got an old man mountain front rack that attached via the qr skewer that i swap between bikes, i like it a lot.

the geometry on my hunter's similar, steeper seatube @ 74/headtube's 71.5". don't think i could fit a giant 29er tire, but it fit one of those 44 mutanoraptor's (?) fine out back, sure i'd get a firecross 45 in there too. the hunter's almost done, picked it up last week, hung out w/rick a bit and tried to ride his pump track. built up a wheelset and put most of it together. just the shifters and brakes, and all the finishing touches are left......just a lil' burnt after work these days to work on the bike....... i'll try to get some pics up soon.
I have three MutanoRaptor 44c stashed and a couple FireCross 45c as well. :thumbsup:

Regular Woodchipper are 31.8, the MotoAce Woodchipper is 25.4. I just do not want to give up the Rock Lobster stem, or I need to see if I can get Paul to do one with a 31.8 clamp for me (I would not even put my Garmin on the stem and cover the Lobster logo). I will go back to the Midges soon, and with the barcons the short drop might be ok, that was my only issue with them. Still tough to get something that works for commutes against the onshore winds of 25+ on the way home at night vs the fit for single track. Sweet dilemma, don't we love it. ;)

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took it out today to the same place area, descended some tougher terrain.

I need to get shallower drop bars if I keep this up. Erk.
Woodchippers here I come, or maybe just one of my two Midges that I have already. The dilemma is between steep descents on single track vs 25 mile commutes on pave, part of it against 20+ mph headwinds. :confused: .

A few more pixels:

These guys challenged me on the switchback.

Now THAT is a belly full 'o bugs! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.