Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I've been the recipient of much good advice through this forum, so I'm hoping for some more.

1. I have long hair, and a lot of it. I've been wearing it in either one long braid or two side braids. Any other options for hair and helmet combos? A low ponytail ends up being too hot, as the hair spreads across the back of my neck (I'm in Georgia). A high ponytail won't fit under the helmet. This might be a really stupid question, but is anyone lacing their hair through a vent, like you would a ball cap? I worry that this might compromise fit and thus safety. I'm considering hacking it off into a more manageable bob, but I thought I'd explore options first.

2. Though I'm not a super girly girl, I have been noticing that with increased riding and sweating, my hair is getting really dried out and split ends are becoming all too noticeable. Any of you using some super product (pre or post ride) to keep your hair from getting totally trashed?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

·
i worship Mr T
5,535 Posts
i have short hair so...

MallieD said:
Okay...I've been the recipient of much good advice through this forum, so I'm hoping for some more.

1. I have long hair, and a lot of it. I've been wearing it in either one long braid or two side braids. Any other options for hair and helmet combos? A low ponytail ends up being too hot, as the hair spreads across the back of my neck (I'm in Georgia). A high ponytail won't fit under the helmet. This might be a really stupid question, but is anyone lacing their hair through a vent, like you would a ball cap? I worry that this might compromise fit and thus safety. I'm considering hacking it off into a more manageable bob, but I thought I'd explore options first.

2. Though I'm not a super girly girl, I have been noticing that with increased riding and sweating, my hair is getting really dried out and split ends are becoming all too noticeable. Any of you using some super product (pre or post ride) to keep your hair from getting totally trashed?

where to put my hair hasn't ever really been a problem for me but i have seen girls thread their ponytails though the back of their helmet. i don't think it compromises safety. i wouldn't necessarily recommend trying to pull your hair though one of the top vents since you'd run the risk of looking like a teletubby! ;)

i use Aveeda (sp?!) products on my hair and they seem to work well....but then again, i also get my hair cut every 6 weeks or so, which probably helps too.

rt

·
Registered
116 Posts
How about a haircut? I use to have super long hair that I use to wear in braids, but it was too much hassle, and my head use to sweat like crazy, so I got it all cut and I like it much better.

·
Glue Sniffer
547 Posts
MallieD said:
Any other options for hair and helmet combos?
I currently don the "Cap'n Lou" when I'm riding. I coined the name and everything.

I put my hair in a low pony tail, and then add a rubber band every few inches or so. I can almost brush it after a ride.

This style works fine in the heat and humidity of South Florida, so I'm sure it'll work in Georgia (although you might fit in a little better with a mulletized Cap'n Lou).

Notice the similarity.

·
internet axe murderer
219 Posts
Long hair

Well, I don't have thick hair like you; mine is fine. If you like the length, maybe try a layered cut that thins it out.

I used to have hair down to the middle of my back, and I ended up cutting off about 7" because I got tired of the hassle of trying to find ways to keep it from snarling like mad. My hair tangles really easily, even when in a pony tail with multiple spaced out bands like catzilla suggested. Shoulder length is much more manageable for me.

It's really dry here in Calgary. I think the only way to keep the ends nice is to have them trimmed regularily.

Spike

·
Yoooleeeaaaaahna Victoria
763 Posts
My Comments

Hallo MallieD,

I have relatively long hair and I too experience from time to time the problems you describe. Although I have whilst on the trails wished for a bit less, I do not have any intention of cutting my hair to be shorter. So, what to do?

Well, I have had success simply making a pony-tail and running it as if my helmet were a base-ball cap. This to date has never a problem been.

And, of course, I too have experienced problems with dryness and what. I have found various products by Aveda to be quite effective, especially the Elixer, which is a rejuvenator, and various shampoos. I have also found Pantene to make quite nice products. Rusk makes a sweet calming product which I simply adore; it is a post-shampoo product which is massaged into wet hair and then rinsed.

So, there are for you many options!

TOODLES!

Julianna

·
Registered
3 Posts
MallieD said:

Hi there,
I have long hair, too. My old stand by is a french braid. It keeps my hair nice and snug under my helmet and relatively untangled. I can usually get a comb through it at the end of the ride.

My hair is sort of fine and prone to tangling so I use this stuff called Intrakera. It's made by Image. It's this green, slimy, leave-in but it works wonders.

Good luck with what ever you do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the comments...

Sound advice...

*rt*...I wore my hair in a style very similar to yours for years. I'm sure I'll go back to it before all's said and done as it sure does make life easier

catzilla...putting down the finest 'do in the history of hair? I tell ya. A little bizness in front, party in the back does my husband just fine!

And thanks for all of the product info. I'll check them all out.

Attachments

·
No Titus anymore...
334 Posts
$.02

MallieD said:
Sound advice...

*rt*...I wore my hair in a style very similar to yours for years. I'm sure I'll go back to it before all's said and done as it sure does make life easier

catzilla...putting down the finest 'do in the history of hair? I tell ya. A little bizness in front, party in the back does my husband just fine!

Don't cut your hair. Guys LOVE chicks with long hair.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have long hair (to my waist) and wear braids (one on each side) with helmets. I've found a couple products that help - I think my favorite has been John Frieda's Beach Blonde Life Preserver - it's a little oily and has sunscreen in it. It kind of works like a detangler/shine additive, but helps hold my hair in the braids better and keeps my hair from drying out in the sun. Considering my hair probably spends 200 days a year under a helmet and in the sun between biking, MX, and skiing, it seems to help. Obviously trimming the split ends every now and then helps too, but if I don't do something to protect it, they return a lot more quickly.

I personally have found that my hair is easier to manage the longer it is - it's easier to throw in a ponytail or braid and keep in place when it's long than to deal with trying to make it stop sticking out in every direction when it's short... But that probably depends on your hair - and you probably already know if you're blessed with cooperative hair or not!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have fairly long hair. I wear a "sub-ponytail" (about 1/4 of my hair tied back in poneytail at the level where one might wear a barrette). This I then thread through the back of the helmet straps (not the airvents, but the plastic straps you use to adjust the helmet), baseball cap style. The rest of the hair just hangs loose. (My hair is too thick to fit it all through the helmet bands.) My hair is too curly to easily braid...though I think braids are a cool style for mtbing.

I do not feel like my helmet/hair combo compromises the function of the helmet, and actually helps me keep my helmet straight on my head.

I suppose shorter hair would be cooler on those rides in Phoenix in the summertime, but I look like Orphan Annie with short hair, and let's just say that's not my "style" -- so I'll just deal with the extra heat.

Regarding split ends, I just pretend not to notice them, because with frizzy curly hair, they are always there anyway....

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
I do the same as Catzilla

I do confess I accessorize the rubber bands according to outfit or whim. This photo was taken on Christmas.

Sometimes I french braid too but I find that I get tangles underneath in the nape of the neck area when I do that and they are painful to untangle. I have tried bilateral braids as well and those work pretty well.

I do a deep conditioning once or twice a week with olive oil. The recipie is 1/2 olive oil, half conditioner, apply to wet hair after rinsing it with hot-as-u-can-stand-it water, leave in for 5 min while you bathe, shave, etc, then shampoo out and condition as normal. Makes hair soft and fluffy, not oily and help with dryness.

·
i worship Mr T
5,535 Posts
ah, the random style!

MallieD said:
Sound advice...

hehe! that's how i refer to my current do! at one time i had waist length hair and for exercise (i didn't ride then) i would pull it back into a ponytail and braid it. actually, at the time i was dancing so i would then take the braid and knot it back around itself into a bun but that doesn't work so well for wearing a helmet! after being mistaken for being 12 years old (at the age of 25) i went in and cut it all off until eventually it looked like this:

when i decided to grow it out i suddenly discovered that my once straight hair had suddenly turned curly!!! hence the rather random way i wear it now (sticking out at all angles from my helmet!) :D

rt

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.