Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Octalink LX vs Hollowtech II

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Michal 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my crankset which is a 2001 octalink LX (FC-M571). My concern is stiffness (pedaling efficiency) and weight.
I was thinking about getting new SLX / XT crankset for a while. In a meanwhile I have built my girlfriends bike using SLX crankset and tested the new hollowtech II. Everybody is spiking how stiff the new HTII cranksets are but I see no difference compared to my old LX...
I did the following test: I put my, and hers bike upside down, level the non-drive side crank arm with chain stay, grab crankarm and chain stay at the same time with my hand and squeeze. Both LX and STX bended the same, about 2-3mm with out any problem.
Considering that new HTII cranksets have larger Q factor and that means less efficient pedaling position and the facts that my LX is only marginally heavier and there is no difference is stiffness should I still consider to "upgrade" ?
Am I missing something ? Is my stiffness test so much flowed ? The goal of that upgrade is only to make the bike a bit faster uphills, but I'm not so sure it will have positive effect.

#4 · (Edited)
The octalink interface is plenty stiff for all but gorillas. Lots of folk get sucked in by the marketing of crank "stiffness". All your test is likely doing is testing the bottom bracket flex, you'd need to stand on both the pedals (at the same time) to see how the crank/bb interface reacts.

#6 ·
Michal said:
I'm thinking about upgrading my crankset which is a 2001 octalink LX (FC-M571). My concern is stiffness (pedaling efficiency) and weight.
I was thinking about getting new SLX / XT crankset for a while. In a meanwhile I have built my girlfriends bike using SLX crankset and tested the new hollowtech II. Everybody is spiking how stiff the new HTII cranksets are but I see no difference compared to my old LX...
I did the following test: I put my, and hers bike upside down, level the non-drive side crank arm with chain stay, grab crankarm and chain stay at the same time with my hand and squeeze. Both LX and STX bended the same, about 2-3mm with out any problem.
Considering that new HTII cranksets have larger Q factor and that means less efficient pedaling position and the facts that my LX is only marginally heavier and there is no difference is stiffness should I still consider to "upgrade" ?
Am I missing something ? Is my stiffness test so much flowed ? The goal of that upgrade is only to make the bike a bit faster uphills, but I'm not so sure it will have positive effect.
That LX was a really good crankset. It was the same as the XT, IIRC. I recently replaced that same set with a set of Stylo OCT's, and honestly, I don't notice much difference. It may feel a tad stiffer when I am pushing a tall gear out of the saddle, but I don't notice any significant performance improvement. I did the upgrade because the LX crank arms were getting shot after being installed and removed so many times, but knowing what I do now, I would definitely NOT bother replacing them if they don't need it. It's not going to make you faster on the uphills. There are a lot of other better places to spend the money, IMO.

#7 ·
A few months ago I put a rebadged Octalink on my bike and can't say I notice a huge difference between it and the XT cranks that came off. Might be because I also went from running a 46-34-24 tripple to a 38-24 double and so I am using different gear combos now and more granny :skep: If it's working fine, then leave it, if the BB needs changing, then just get a new BB, if you need a new BB and rings, then maybe consider buying the new HT2 entire crankset as it'll prob work out about the same as rings and BB for the Octalink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.