Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a map of the course? Also, with the amount of fireroad listed in the description, is a fully rigid bike recommended?
What would you put in your gallon bags to be dropped off at aid stations? This will be my first 100 miler, so please help me out.
Thanks.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
If you're talking about the Cohutta 100, then yes, here's a map of the main part of the course. It's mostly fireroad, with about 30% of the course being the sweetest singletrack in the South (not on the map below).

The aid stations are VERY well supplied by LBS's complete with energy drinks, food, hot cocoa, mechanics, and LOTS of moral support. As for your question about a fully rigid, I can assure you that you will not be alone in that choice. There will be several rigids and several SS riders. If you're used to riding it, then bring it. The FS roads have the typical stutter bumps in the turns but I think you will not regret bringing your rigid.

This will be my first hundy as well but I was out there last year supporting a friend while scoping out what folks were doing. My drop bags will likely have some of my favorite ride food and maybe at like the halfway point, some fresh clothes. Last year it rained, so those who could change into dry clothes got the least amount of chaffing. I likely won't change shorts, but dry arm / leg warmers and a jacket might be nice. also, at some point, I'd drop your lights unless you know you can do it in under 12 hours. After the 12 hour mark, you may want some enhanced visibility! I'll probably have my lights at the next to last aid stop. The last aid stop was right at the beginning of the final singletrack and you're flying on this DH section and you can taste the singletrack so bad it hurts -- mostly becuase you know you're almost home! Unless I'm having a bad day, I won't stop at the last aid but am planning to roll right by it and get on the dirt.

Do you live nearby? If so, I can keep you posted on some ride plans a few of us have for riding the course over the next couple months. Hope to see you there!

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
hairyharris said:
What would you put in your gallon bags to be dropped off at aid stations? This will be my first 100 miler, so please help me out.
Thanks.
It all depends on what you plan on carrying. The aid stations are so well stocked that you'll have plenty to eat and drink.
I'm a big fan of putting tubes/CO2 cartridges in my drop bags.
Fresh gloves are nice if you get soaked.
Any type of special needs items (electrolytes, GU's, gluten free, Boost, yada yada).
Chamois butter.
Ibuprofen (some debate that, I pack it in)
Leaving a drop bag at the first stop is nice if things warm up quick. You'll be able to toss unnecessary layers in the bag.

Rigid? Only if that is how you're used to rolling. No need to make it harder on yourself if you're accustomed to suspension.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Zach~
Send me a PM with your email address and I can email it to you. The forum won't allow me to post it b/c it's too large of a file.

~Charles

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking at the map, the top 4 aid stations seem fairly close together (the Tenn side); is that where all the singletrack is?

I'm bringing my SS and I've never been to the area, so my concern is "how to gear the bike correctly?" Do you plan for the 70% rolling fire roads or the singletrack with the big climbs? Any suggestions from the folks that ride the area?

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
gofastpops said:
Looking at the map, the top 4 aid stations seem fairly close together (the Tenn side); is that where all the singletrack is?

I'm bringing my SS and I've never been to the area, so my concern is "how to gear the bike correctly?" Do you plan for the 70% rolling fire roads or the singletrack with the big climbs? Any suggestions from the folks that ride the area?
I did last years event on a SS 29"er geared 34x20......that's basically the same as 34x18 on a 26" bike. I felt like it was just about perfect for the course. There really aren't any steep climbs....just drawn out gradual stuff.

For what it's worth I'll be riding the same gear this year.

SoCal should be well represented this year....it looks like there will likely be 4 of us!

Can't wait.

B

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
hairyharris said:
another question. IF the aid stations are stocked well, would you use a camelback for this event? If so which one? Again, thanks for all replies.
Most folks used a pack last year and I'll be using a Mule this year unless I get a Wingnut. That way you can have room to carry close you shed or if you want to stock something extra.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
gofastpops said:
Looking at the map, the top 4 aid stations seem fairly close together (the Tenn side); is that where all the singletrack is?QUOTE]

I didn't clarify that the map I posted is not a map provided by the RD for the Cohutta race. It's a map that was compiled for a death march ride many of us do periodically throughout the year. The SAG's for the race are actually pretty well spaced along the 100 miles. There were 6 last year. I'm sorry for the confusion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.