Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with leaks or a knock at the top end of their Ocho?

My first Carbon Ocho leaked after about 20hrs of ride time. The replacement Ocho developed a knock/clunk at the top end after about 10hrs. I thought I just had bad luck but then a friend of mine(the only other person I know that has an Ocho) developed the same problems with his Aluminum Ocho after about 8hrs of use. The first two pictures is the oil at the bottom of the carbon Ocho showing how much it was dripping down. This was way beyond "normal". The last picture is my friend's aluminum Ocho which has the same knock at the top end starting.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
IMG_4526.jpg

When the Ocho is healthy it is an awesome riding front suspension but it is hard for me to be confident in it's reliability.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hah yeah that's f*cked. Amazed the brake is still working. Straight back to the mothership...If it barfs all the oil then the inner leg is the next to go...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is messed up that the only three Ocho's I have seen have had to go in for warranty work with in 20 hours or riding. Two leakers and one clunker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe it is a problem with the first ochos that are delivered? It´s hard to describe for me because my english is not the best, but i will try.
If you pull them out a little bit more than the "track" where the needle bearings roll, come out a little bit and there are some sharp edges that maybe cut or destroy the lower sealing. If they now doing some work on the ocho the are pulling it a little bit together with some rope so that it wont come out.
I hope you will understand what i mean ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Happened to mine too. I was told there had been some problems on the assembly line. Basically there is a sharp edge to something that was cutting the seal during assembly. They've revised something so that doesn't happen with future production.

Since having that seal replaced mine has been perfect.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent my 2019 Scalpel HiMod 1 in at the beginning of October. Cannondale kept the first one for testing as it had expedited wear on the lower leg and damage to the seal. The sharp edge explains the leak and wear, but it doesn't explain the knock/play in the top end of the replacement Lefty Ocho. Cannondale replaced the inner and outer races, the delta bearing cage, delta wiper, delta clip ring, delta bushing and washer on the second Carbon Ocho. My friend just sent his Aluminum Ocho in for the leak and the knock last week. We'll see what comes back fixed on his.

With both of mine the turn around was very fast and Cannondale was very easy to deal with, but I still had down time. I have a love/hate affair with the Lefty that I had hoped would change when the Ocho came out. When they work they are awesome. Unfortunately, in my experiences, Cannondale still has some QC issues with the latest iteration.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,346 Posts
Sorry you're having trouble.

It's the final step in Cannondorels plan to make everyone beg them to stop making Leftys so they can finally close the book on them, without the appearance of being incapable of delivering a product that their predecessors had done successfully for almost 15 years.

Those aren't QC issues, it's laziness wrapped in parsimony, combined with utter cluelessness and ineptitude on how to design a successful product, even when you're handed the DNA by the company you bought at a fire sale, in hopes of getting rich while using the rest of your portfolio of destroyed marquee brands you sell at WalMart, to prop up a failing business model.

Sell it and buy a Rock Shox. Cannondale will fold soon, RIP....

·
Registered
667 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to find out when they changed the assembly issue to know which bikes based on build date are affected?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agreed on build date. Seems like there should be a recall.

I was going to buy one but always wanted to see how the early adopters fared...Looks like I might wait until the end of the season or next year. My 2.0 has been back to the Cdale twice and it sucked dealing with as my dealer is 1.5 hours away. I don't want to go through the same crap with the Ocho. I just want something that works the way it is supposed to. To be fair, my 2.0 went back because it was extremely hard to do bearing resets...it always performed well otherwise.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My buddy that works at my local shop, his Ocho just went in for the seal and I just saw the email that verified the factory issue. I asked him to ask if there is a date, he said he will on Monday. Will update if I hear more.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Heard back from my guy at the shop, via his guy.. same as Aussie_yeti said, something in assembly was causing the nick and it has been rectified. No mention on a date though, but was told if it leaks bring it in and they will get it fixed.

My first ride on the trails with it tonight, fingers crossed.
D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heard back from my guy at the shop, via his guy.. same as Aussie_yeti said, something in assembly was causing the nick and it has been rectified. No mention on a date though, but was told if it leaks bring it in and they will get it fixed.

My first ride on the trails with it tonight, fingers crossed.
D
Cannondale should still send something out to dealers instead of ignoring it. My local shop has had only two ochos go out of it and both were sent back. Yes, no questions asked and quick turn around, but I'd rather see them own up to the mistake and take care of their customers. Financially they probably can't afford a recall. I filed the paperwork to divorce the Lefty after 10 years of dedication.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Cannondale should still send something out to dealers instead of ignoring it. My local shop has had only two ochos go out of it and both were sent back. Yes, no questions asked and quick turn around, but I'd rather see them own up to the mistake and take care of their customers. Financially they probably can't afford a recall. I filed the paperwork to divorce the Lefty after 10 years of dedication.
Not disagreeing with that at all.
No leak after my first ride last night.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My Ocho Carbon started leaking and knocking after 50 hours. It's now in service...

Have your Ocho worked better after warranty rebuild, or are you still experiencing the same problems?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had mine re-built by S4 up here in Canada, although it was not leaking like the OP (my LBS didn’t think it needed to be sent in, but I was concerned due to an upcoming race) but after the rebuild I have not have a drop so am pleased.
D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Ocho Carbon started leaking and knocking after 50 hours. It's now in service...

Have your Ocho worked better after warranty rebuild, or are you still experiencing the same problems?
I did the ultimate fix and sold it. I see & talk to current owner. It seems fine but he doesn’t put in a lot of hours on it.

·
Registered
357 Posts

I have my Ocho serviced in service centre before, when it came back and I tested it, felt like no damping, no small bump sensitivity at all. It's very harsh like half locked-out! It has been sent to the centre for second time repair now. For the first repair, they said the lower leg was damaged, resulted in oil leaking and they changed a new lower leg for me. Anyone got any idea of what went wrong for the first time repair?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Same thing happened to me in regards to getting it back and it was harsh. Had to send it back in a week later. I think an inexperienced mechanic worked on it the first time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts