Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a brand new Ocho Carbon (manufactured 1/19) and the bearings migrate pretty easily but also reset easily making the self resetting feature actually effective. From what I can tell so far, after an easier ride where much travel isn’t needed, they will migrate around 30-40mm in about 2 hours. I can reset the bearings by just doing bunny hops but I’m going to resist that on the next few rides and see if I notice the migration at all or if it just resets as needed.

The bike shop I bought it from said they never need to do a reset.

I know others had issues and sent them in. I am curious how the migration is after returning from Cannondale. How long does it take for it to migrate? Do some owners have them that never need to reset?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I've found that by simply running the fork soft enough to get the full travel out of it is enough to reset the bearings. They do migrate but any big hit will reset them, hence self resetting.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So I just got a brand new Ocho Carbon (manufactured 1/19) and the bearings migrate pretty easily but also reset easily making the self resetting feature actually effective. From what I can tell so far, after an easier ride where much travel isn't needed, they will migrate around 30-40mm in about 2 hours. I can reset the bearings by just doing bunny hops but I'm going to resist that on the next few rides and see if I notice the migration at all or if it just resets as needed.

The bike shop I bought it from said they never need to do a reset.

I know others had issues and sent them in. I am curious how the migration is after returning from Cannondale. How long does it take for it to migrate? Do some owners have them that never need to reset?
I have the same issue as you do, the bearings migrate around 30-40mm in 1 hour ride after manual resetting. I sent the Ocho back to Cannondale thru the local dealer, it takes about 2 weeks time. When I got the fork back from cannondale and test it, seems the migration has gone, at least it doesn't exist after 3-4 rides, that's acceptable. I was told that they have changed new needle bearings/cage, something like that, they didn't tell me in details. Or something according to the preload adjustment, but I don't know how they do it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yip pretty much sums it up. Also some dampers seems to have the same stiffening up phenomenon. As always they will make running changes..
There are times I think maybe I should just run a Fox 34SC..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sent mine in on Saturday. Definitely regretting not getting a Sid or SC at this point. I just didn’t want to mess with the geometry of the Scalpel and keep the stiffness...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike shop gave me a loaner Aluminum Ocho and I see the light! No migration after 2.5 hour ride! Hoping when I get my Carbon one back, if is just as good. It does ride really nice.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I read cannondale was considering building a wall to halt the ocho bearing migration, but feared the backlash the accompanying headlines would generate.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Migration is still supposed to be there but instructions say after 50 hours(lol)! The 2.0 was even more crazy because the self resetting feature didn’t work at all. The Ocho does ride really well but I haven’t had the pleasure of trying the competition. I just took Pinkbikes take on it saying that it rode better then the competition. Honestly, if it migrates 10mm every 2 or so hours, I’m good with that. It’s not hard to reset. What I will say about the 2.0, I never really got more then 80mm of travel even with volume reducers removed and low pressure. The Ocho uses all of its travel.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.