Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for any Roco owners considering an Obtainium ti spring purchase.
I just got done McGuyvering a soultion for my 2.75 stroke Roco WC.

The fit issue is mainly due to the $22.00 mandatory spacers. They're too thick (tall) and should be about 1/3 their height for this application. Roco owners have 3 options:

1. Run 1 spacer on one end and nothing on the other end. This solution s%cks donkey dong since the non "performance fit" end is a loose, jangly mess, and will creak and moan it's way down the trail. The spring diameter is way too wide for the shock collar, so there is plenty of slop.

2. Grab the orbital sander and some 60 grit paper. Sand both spacers down to nearly half. Be careful not to sand too much as the shock collar inner face will hit the inner lip of the spacer before the two faces meet (this is hard to explain, but you'll see once you place the shock collar on the spacer.) In the end, you can only take off a few milimeters. Getting the shock back together and putting the last shock collar on is a giant PITA!! You have to compress the spring to get this back together. Pulling the shock collar back off will most likely require spring compressors (as if this part didn't cost enough) or chiseling off one of your $22 pieces of plastic. That's OK, you can buy another ill fitting set for $50.:thumbsup: Once it's together, it is possible to have zero load on the spring, but the collar is about 4 threads from full extension.

3. Buy another brand spring. Given the obtainium's cost, there are better values out there...probably ones that fit too. RCS or even Marzocchi's Ti spring. (wish I went this route)

I went for option 2. This is not a part I could recommend for the Roco (perhaps they fit well on Vivids that don't require spacers). I doubt they fit any better on the DHX which also require the spacers. I wish I had researched this purchase more before laying out the coin, and suggest others to shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
510 Posts
thanks for the heads up,I was about to order one of those for my DHX.I'll do some more research, I thought plenty of people had them on their DHX , I'll definately check into that.

Funny part of all this, I have a Marzocchi spring on my DHX but its a bit too stiff ;-)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
well...considering the spring is meant for a 3" stroke shock...that might be why you couldnt fit it. the site clearly says itll fit the 2.5 and 2.75 Vivids...but nothing about the Roco, nor any other shock.

yes...you should have done your research. dont tell people to go to another brand because you messed up.

retard

·
Underweight Rider
439 Posts
brillantesdv said:
well...considering the spring is meant for a 3" stroke shock...that might be why you couldnt fit it. the site clearly says itll fit the 2.5 and 2.75 Vivids'only??'...but nothing about the Roco, nor any other shock.

yes...you should have done your research. dont tell people to go to another brand because you messed up.

retard
So you are implying non-Vivid users should 'STAY' away from Obtainium?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
brillantesdv said:
well...considering the spring is meant for a 3" stroke shock...that might be why you couldnt fit it. the site clearly says itll fit the 2.5 and 2.75 Vivids...but nothing about the Roco, nor any other shock.

retard
That was helpful. Is Pinkbike down today?

FWIW, the Roco 2.75 stroke shock has a shaft length of 3".

The fitment has nothing to do with the shock's stroke. It's got more to do with the 8.75" I to I. Since this is a more popular size than the 9.5" x 2.75 I to I (which is pictured on Obtainium's site BTW), I wanted to let other Roco owners know. If the 8.75 is tight, even with sanding, the 8.5" I to I Roco will definately not fit.

I'd still recommed going with a Marzocchi brand spring, since it's cheaper, fits, and the spacer concept does nothing for the buyer, it only allows Obtainium to crank out the same part for all brands.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
k1creeker said:
It's got more to do with the 8.75" I to I. Since this is a more popular size than the 9.5" x 2.75 I to I (which is pictured on Obtainium's site BTW), I wanted to let other Roco owners know. If the 8.75 is tight, even with sanding, the 8.5" I to I Roco will definately not fit.
ok im sorry the "retard" thing was harsh.

but this right here wasnt even said in your first post. someone reading the title would think "oh crap, i have a roco...i shouldnt buy obtanium". the post came off as a flame on Obtanium because they didnt make a spring that fit your setup right, when in actuality they didnt claim to fit your shock in the first place.

admitting you didnt read the guidelines and bought the wrong spring wouldve been helpful in your post.

·
Registered
686 Posts
k1creeker said:
Just a heads up for any Roco owners considering an Obtainium ti spring purchase.
I just got done McGuyvering a soultion for my 2.75 stroke Roco WC.

The fit issue is mainly due to the $22.00 mandatory spacers. They're too thick (tall) and should be about 1/3 their height for this application. Roco owners have 3 options:

1. Run 1 spacer on one end and nothing on the other end. This solution s%cks donkey dong since the non "performance fit" end is a loose, jangly mess, and will creak and moan it's way down the trail. The spring diameter is way too wide for the shock collar, so there is plenty of slop.

2. Grab the orbital sander and some 60 grit paper. Sand both spacers down to nearly half. Be careful not to sand too much as the shock collar inner face will hit the inner lip of the spacer before the two faces meet (this is hard to explain, but you'll see once you place the shock collar on the spacer.) In the end, you can only take off a few milimeters. Getting the shock back together and putting the last shock collar on is a giant PITA!! You have to compress the spring to get this back together. Pulling the shock collar back off will most likely require spring compressors (as if this part didn't cost enough) or chiseling off one of your $22 pieces of plastic. That's OK, you can buy another ill fitting set for $50.:thumbsup: Once it's together, it is possible to have zero load on the spring, but the collar is about 4 threads from full extension.

3. Buy another brand spring. Given the obtainium's cost, there are better values out there...probably ones that fit too. RCS or even Marzocchi's Ti spring. (wish I went this route)

I went for option 2. This is not a part I could recommend for the Roco (perhaps they fit well on Vivids that don't require spacers). I doubt they fit any better on the DHX which also require the spacers. I wish I had researched this purchase more before laying out the coin, and suggest others to shop elsewhere.
The option you did not mention was if you have a problem contact the manufactuer(Jim at obtainiumperformanceproducts.com)and ask him or inform him you have a problem.If you don't give him the ability to help you or any other manufactuer to take care of problems and just bad mouth them the less likley they will be willing to help anybody.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pipes10 said:
out of curiosity, what was the free length of the spring with adaptors/spacers??
Pipes10,
The stock Roco Spring free length is 6-3/8". The Obtainium spring is 5-3/4+ 2 spacers at 3/8" each. Leaving a total length of 6-1/2". 1/8" doesn't sound like much difference, but the way the spacers "stepped inset" inserts into the inner spring diameter combined with the stepped inset of the shock collar, and the need to compress the whole thing to get under lower mount at the rebound end of the shock is impossible without a spring compressor. Sanding the spacers down gets back to the original 6-3/8" free length and makes it possbile to mount by hand. Dismounting it in the future will be a b*tch.

brillantesdv, thanks for taking the high road. I realize I made an error and would hate to see another rider make the same mistake. This isn't a $20 screw up. That's why I warned Roco owners specifically. More to the point, any Roco with an I to I of 8.75 or less. I'm sure this spring works just fine on the Vivids. DHX owners, do your research. In my web-laziness, I created a half-a$$ed post without all the detail I should have.

DHRacer, I'm all about the small guy companies and try to suport them whenever possible. I am not looking to hurt anyone's business, merely let riders know about my experience. There tends to be a level of fanboyism here and other forums. Personally, I want to hear the downside of any product since nothing is perfect. Nothing. Obtainium shouldn't hold others responsible, or refuse to offer customer service to them based on my posted opinions, I'd be really surprised if they did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.