Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm not really sure what type of keywords I could type into the search to find the type of results I'm looking for without getting a bunch of unrelated stuff. So sorry if this is a repeat, hopefully you guys wont mind...

Anyway, I'm a young trailbuilder on a highschooler's budget, so I dont have a ton of cash to spend on materials for a little trail/skills park me and a few buddies are building on his land for our own use. We have some cool ideas, a good area, and plenty of tools. I've been browsing around, looking at some of the bridges and similar sturctures you guys have made, and I'm very impressed! However, it would cost a fortune to build a lot of this stuff with lumber from Lowes or Home Depot or whatever. We have plenty of cedars for the running supports, but how to you guys split timber into the "planks"(for lack of the correct term ;) ). I don't have access to a mill or anything, but have a bunch of splitting axes and chainsaws. I guess I could do it that way, but it seems like that would take forever. Is there a better way I'm missing? Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you have access to cedar use that 100%. The above posted link does a great job of showing how to split slats. It sounds like you have lots of tools to get the work done.

For your supports don't forget to strip the bark off, your features will last much longer and look better too.

Have fun!

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
Synchro is an authority on North Shore woodwork. Have a look at this thread and see the wall ride he spent 2 years building.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=46318&page=43

He's got some nice wood to work with. That amount and size of cedar is rare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts