Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I lurk here, as well as ebay, I can't help but notice a disturbing trend:

I am a somewhat "undersized" rider (5'6") and all the bikes ever posted to either show off, or for sale, or whatever, are all usually 19+ inches... What are there never 15-16" bikes out there. Everytime I come across a Ritchey, or a Klein, or some other cool frame that I could be tempted to pick up for grins, it's a 22". Furthermore, it is my humble opinion that big bikes look goofy. A 19+" frame always looks out of proportion to me.

Sooooo, were there no short riders/ small bikes out there, or is everyone hanging onto them???

Has any else noticed this strange phenom?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,734 Posts
Nope!

I notice the opposite.
I ride 19,20,21" frames and never seem to find any of them.

Most of the bikes I'd like to buy are 17" I've even picked up a few to try and force myself to fit but I end up getting rid of them a month or so later.

Things just work out that way. Its hard to find exactly what you want.

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
tosis said:

I am a somewhat "undersized" rider (5'6") and all the bikes ever posted to either show off, or for sale, or whatever, are all usually 19+ inches... What are there never 15-16" bikes out there. Everytime I come across a Ritchey, or a Klein, or some other cool frame that I could be tempted to pick up for grins, it's a 22". Furthermore, it is my humble opinion that big bikes look goofy. A 19+" frame always looks out of proportion to me.

Sooooo, were there no short riders/ small bikes out there, or is everyone hanging onto them???

first of all 80's bike are sized different. i'm 5'10" and ride a 17-18" modern rig but i ride a 20-21" in vintage bikes. they dont have sloping top tubes so they fit more like a road bike with very little post showing. judge your fit by the top tube length more than the seat tube length and you'll be much better off. i have several vintage bikes that are too small for me so their out there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
tosis said:
Everytime I come across a Ritchey, or a Klein, or some other cool frame that I could be tempted to pick up for grins, it's a 22". Furthermore, it is my humble opinion that big bikes look goofy. A 19+" frame always looks out of proportion to me.

I've noticed the opposite, namely that many cool bikes I come across are small frames. I've seen a lot of Bridgestone MB-1 and 3's lately, but most were smaller than 19" (and definitely smaller than 22", the size I ride)

Personally, I don't feel that big bikes look goofy. Also, those of us who are 6' and taller have no choice but to ride a large frame.( I'm not climbing on to a 17" frame with a super-long seatpost!:D )

·
Registered
554 Posts
tosis said:
...all the bikes ever posted to either show off, or for sale, or whatever, are all usually 19+ inches
smaller frames with < 15" CTC, particularly of the desireable brands are definitely hard to come by. 15"-18" CTC seem to be more much more available.

for awhile i had been seeking out old kleins and it seemed that for every 15-20 frames or so, only 1 would be a XS/13" CTC.

the availability bell curve probably parallels the production curve for each size. this is likely true for any other sized product; shoes, pants, shirts, etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
tosis said:
...and all the bikes ever posted to either show off, or for sale, or whatever, are all usually 19+ inches...
I just posted my Klein Pinnacle frame pics a few days ago. That's not a small enough frame for you?;) ?

I'm with you--I think big frames look goofy, but it's probably just a conditioned response from getting excited when I find a bike I'm looking for on eBay and let-down when the auction ends up being pictures of a "giant" bike I can't ride, no matter how sweet.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Veloculture said:
first of all 80's bike are sized different. i'm 5'10" and ride a 17-18" modern rig but i ride a 20-21" in vintage bikes. they dont have sloping top tubes so they fit more like a road bike with very little post showing. judge your fit by the top tube length more than the seat tube length and you'll be much better off. i have several vintage bikes that are too small for me so their out there.
OK Sky, send me your too small list ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
tosis said:

There for a while there were some small to small/ medium Fat Chance Yo Eddy frames popping up on fleaBay. You might keep your your eye out for another.:p

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Veloculture said:
here, this 24er is your size and even your color:ciappa:

:prft: :prft: :prft: :prft: :prft: :prft: :prft: :prft:

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Veloculture said:
Good call. Older bikes are sized a lot differently. For example in '86, the smallest frame that Ritchey made was a 17" (at this size there was an option for 24" wheels too). Top tube and head tube length are better size indicators.

·
Registered
184 Posts
laffeaux said:
Good call. Older bikes are sized a lot differently. For example in '86, the smallest frame that Ritchey made was a 17" (at this size there was an option for 24" wheels too). Top tube and head tube length are better size indicators.
You also didn't have to worry about front (and rear) suspension bringing that top-tube closer and closer to the nether regions.

That reminds me--I think it was the IBOC, with the triangular-shaped top tube, that every male customer that straddled thought "that's gonna feel great when I slip a pedal!"

·
Registered
48 Posts
tosis said:

Blame the Japanese collectors. That's the regular excuse for those vintage lightweight guys. ;)

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
opposite problem

My experiece is the exact opposite, as I was searching for a new bike, I could not find one big enough.
I prefer the larger size, I have 2 23in hardtails, (one steel, on aluminum) and my FS is a 22.5.
I also have 2 rigid 21.5s, and I like the larger size.

I guess it just seems that when we are searching, we can never seem to find what either of us are looking for.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have a 19" MB3. It seems to be a really small frame for the size. I'm 6' so it was a little too small for me. I'll probably send it down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts