Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup:
Had a ton of fun ridin the Lower portion from Holms Place down with my buddies yesterday and finally got video of the full run. Can't wait to go back again. Mounted the cam on the fork leg this time, came out pretty good IMO.

Warning: >20mins

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Surprisingly smooth for a camera mounted on the lowers ;).
Oat hill is a blast, I've only done it from the rock foundation house. Apparently it keeps going, and going...

I wonder how it is in the rain?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've gone out further than Holmes Place and, it is okay, but not as good as the front side. When given the choice, I always chose to do two laps of the front side than go out the back.

And yes, it is very good in the rain. Probably the best (followed by Rockville and Los Posados/Angwin). It drains well, there is little real mud, just stones and rocks. The only thing is that the last mile can be slippery to climb.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
I've gone out further than Holmes Place and, it is okay, but not as good as the front side. When given the choice, I always chose to do two laps of the front side than go out the back.

And yes, it is very good in the rain. Probably the best (followed by Rockville and Los Posados/Angwin). It drains well, there is little real mud, just stones and rocks. The only thing is that the last mile can be slippery to climb.
TWO laps of the front side?? Jesus man!! You are a Badass!

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,488 Posts
I am from bay area and always forget about Oat Hill,

Thanks. Gotta get back up there. Sweet single track back on the way down on the north of fire road.

Reactions: Axe

·
Laker and a Trail Blazer
835 Posts
I'm penciling in a ride there for this weekend. Mild summer day rides are good too!:cool:
Ooo that section is way tougher than it looks. I just got king of the hill on strava on that part. The upper oat hill rock crawl. I did it in 19 min flat with two dabs. Its only 1.1 miles. Still can't clean the entire 4 1/2 mile climb...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I rode it once while it was lightly raining. No mud, just a few slippery rocks. I'm convinced this is the best place to ride when it's wet. I actually like the climb better than coming back down. The grade is just enough that you don't redline but are challenged the whole way. Not that I can clean that last 1/4 mile either, but it's fun to try. And as the picture shows, the view is awesome. But the descent can kind of rattle your teeth out without a really plush bike.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's actually best on a rainy or cold winter day as there is little traffic and the temps are more pleasant. It gets pretty busy with hikers on sunny weekends these days and summer temps can be brutal. I like the back side of the trail system, as the terrain and views seem like they are from another planet. More rolling terrain rather than sustained climbing or descending on that part but still very rocky and fun.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Never know what you'll find there

I like the back side of the trail system, as the terrain and views seem like they are from another planet. More rolling terrain rather than sustained climbing or descending on that part but still very rocky and fun.
On the backside from a mid December ride last year.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
This is on my "to do" list this Fall/Winter as I've never ridden it. Any options for longer rides, maybe connecting Oat Hill and some other area(s)? Seems like a long way to drive (from Oakland) for a shortish out and back.

Is there any sort of map out there for the area?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.