Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of hauling a few guys down to the Oakridge area from Seattle in late May to spend a few days riding. What are the conditions like that time of year? Is Oakridge getting hammered this winter with high winds/rain/snow like we are up in Seattle?

Have ridden in Bend with some of you (Nat, Shiggy, Tberg) and was wondering if I am better off thinking about Bend this time of year.

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Both good then

kmc said:
Thinking of hauling a few guys down to the Oakridge area from Seattle in late May to spend a few days riding. What are the conditions like that time of year? Is Oakridge getting hammered this winter with high winds/rain/snow like we are up in Seattle?

Have ridden in Bend with some of you (Nat, Shiggy, Tberg) and was wondering if I am better off thinking about Bend this time of year.

Any input is appreciated!
Oakridge area is good then. Things are starting to dry out then and we'll have gotten a bunch of trail work done by then. You can buy the locals beers for our efforts;)
When your time's getting near, just give a holler here or on the DOD listserv and you'll likely find some friendly folk to give you some guidance.

I would postulate that that's about the best time to ride the Bend side, before it gets too dusty. I'm sure the Bendites will correct me if I'm wrong on that. It's just a two hour drive from Oakridge. Do both.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Riding both is a great idea. The higher Cascade trails around Bend might still be under snow or needing cleanup, but lower stuff will be up and going and a lot of fun! You can check out what trails are open on cotamtb.org - it will be listed on the home page. And if the names are confusing, any bike shop or rider you are with can help.

·
Registered
19,093 Posts
Cog Wild said:
Riding both is a great idea. The higher Cascade trails around Bend might still be under snow or needing cleanup, but lower stuff will be up and going and a lot of fun! You can check out what trails are open on cotamtb.org - it will be listed on the home page. And if the names are confusing, any bike shop or rider you are with can help.
He's familiar with Bend trails. He was asking about going to Oakridge for a change.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks so far!

Thanks...this is really helpful.

I have ridden in Bend quite a bit, so know the trails pretty well. Have also ridden the MRT a few times. Looking for something new as well...Oakridge stuff looks pretty nice. Just don't know how wet it will be that time of year.

Is the North Umpqua around the Oakridge area? Sorry...my Oregon geography is pretty lame.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Just south of there

kmc said:
Thanks...this is really helpful.

I have ridden in Bend quite a bit, so know the trails pretty well. Have also ridden the MRT a few times. Looking for something new as well...Oakridge stuff looks pretty nice. Just don't know how wet it will be that time of year.

Is the North Umpqua around the Oakridge area? Sorry...my Oregon geography is pretty lame.
North Umpqua (NUT) is just a ridge away from the Oakridge area.
Depending on the snow levels, it could be an hour(+/-) away by forest roads, or a lot more: requiring a trip out to Interstate-5 (~1 hr) and south to Roseburg, then east along Hwy 138 (~2 hr).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.