Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cog Wild posted this "HEADS UP Alpine has a fire so we will not be running the alpine shuttle…. so we are adding extra shuttles to still get you out on other trails" on there FB and IG pages. The actual fire(s), started by lightning, have been named the Middle Fork Complex.

Does anybody know if Alpine itself is actually burning....or any info on specific trails for the matter. We have a trip planned for late September so I'm just curious at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Long-time lurker here. I've been meaning to get up to Oakridge this summer but it's looking like I waited too long! A couple of quotes from the Eugene Register-Guard re the Middle Fork Complex fires:

"The areas most impacted by smoke, rising to the "unhealthy" level of air quality, are around Oakridge and Westfir, according to Travis Knudsen, a public affairs manager for the Lane Regional Air Protection Agency."

Yuk. But there's hope (more or less):

"A storm predicted for Wednesday could bring some rain and relief to impacted areas, but it could also lead to lightning, Knudsen added, which could start more fires."

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,559 Posts
For an idea of trails impacted.

The closure affects everything on Alpine Trail north (uphill) of Windy Pass, including the Jedi Section, Sourgrass Meadow, Kates Cut-In, and Chrome Toilet. The fire is still a fair distance north of the trails, but the forest service is keeping a nice sized margin so if things get out of hand they don't have to fight a fire and evacuate people.

The biggest fire is the "Gales Creek" fire. It is still a good distance north of north Alpine trail. Elephant Rock fire is a little closer but it's a smaller fire. Those two fires plus a third 27 acre fire which is even further north are the cause of the closure.

The Kwis fire is just east of town above Salmon creek. I'm not quite sure, but it might be burning North Salmon Creek trail. That's not a hugely popular trail, but it is just on the other side of the ridge from Auberry Mountain and Heckletooth which are both very popular. It sounds like the Kwis fire is mostly under control, but the slopes are so steep chunks of burning embers are rolling past the control lines.

There is a 78 acre fire just east of Middle Fork trail as well, but it is 60% contained. There are a bunch of other fires, but they are mostly contained at this point.

Hopefully cooler weather and humidity move in.

More details.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/7745/62628/ said:
Fire information: Twelve individual fires make up the Middle Fork Complex, with six fires at 100% containment. Five fires make up the northwest section of the Middle Fork complex. The Gales Creek Fire is located south of the Forest Road 18 near the 1835 road. The fire is 400-acres with 0% containment.

Firefighters continue a strategic evaluation for opportunities to contain the fire. Heavy equipment will be used to remove vegetation along the 1824 road. Firefighters are implementing checking actions to keep fire south of the 220 Road and move resources to the six-acre Elephant Rock Fire, which is approximately two miles to the southeast. On the 27-acre Ninemile Fire, engines worked along the 1834 Road and will be constructing lines to keep the fire as small as possible. Crews will monitor and patrol the Journey and Symbol Rock Fires, each at 0.1 acre and both at 100% containment.

The 78-acre Kwis Fire is the closest fire to Oakridge and is located south of Forest Road 24 near Salmon Creek. The challenge containing the Kwis fire has been burning material rolling past control lines. To resolve that, lines are being constructed perpendicular to the slope all the way to Salmon Creek which creates a more secure control line. Burnout will occur in the next few days to remove fuel between the fire and the control line over the next few days, then mop-up and containment. The one-acre Warble Fire is 100% contained and crews will patrol and secure line as needed.

South of Forest Road 19, the two-acre Devils Canyon Fire is 100% contained. Firefighters will continue mop-up and patrol in that area. Southwest of the Hill Creek Reservoir, firefighters on the three-acre Packard Fire continue snag removal and mop-up. The 78-acre Windfall Fire is now at 60% containment. Crews will continue mop-up efforts. Near the Hills Creek Reservoir, firefighters will patrol and monitor the Way and Larison Cove Fires, also at 100% containment.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Wildfires are the new normal folks—and they're going to get worse every year. That's climate change (whether you believe in it or not). I'm often amazed at how people just ignore it—and go camping or riding or hiking anyway—choking through smoke (it's GREAT!) falling through holes in the trail from burnt root systems (no problem here!) and having their tent blown down repeatedly from high winds (we're good! we're good!), worshipping firefighters (they'll kick Mama Nature's a$$!!!) LOL Definitely a case of "boiling frog" syndrome...

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
100 years of full suppression fire attacks is what got us here.
That along with clear-cuts and replanting crowded mono-forests and spraying to kill other organisms. Let it burn and send Weyerhaeuser the bill. The fact that we let weyerhaeuser do this to some 24 million acres and then spend tax money to clean up the mess is a normal I can't get behind.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
That along with clear-cuts and replanting crowded mono-forests and spraying to kill other organisms. Let it burn and send Weyerhaeuser the bill. The fact that we let weyerhaeuser do this to some 24 million acres and then spend tax money to clean up the mess is a normal I can't get behind.

That is what my buddy Big Vin says too

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,559 Posts
So much of Oregon is less "Forest" like and and more like flammable crops.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Looking forward to the rain but 105° next week and hot all week. This is the hottest PNW summer I've lived through. Can't help but wonder if this is the future or if ocean currents will ever deliver us any more classic pleasant summers...

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,559 Posts
Looking forward to the rain but 105° next week and hot all week. This is the hottest PNW summer I've lived through. Can't help but wonder if this is the future or if ocean currents will ever deliver us any more classic pleasant summers...
Let's hope for more pleasant summers.

I'm pretty pessimistic though. Moved from California… just in time to avoid the yearly fire storms there. I'd hate to see it here. Maybe start looking closer to the coast.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I'm afraid that this will be the new future… I don't imagine that the powers that be will turn off the space lasers any time soon

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,559 Posts
Weather has been decent there was some more fire growth but not too bad. Elephant Rock and Gales are pretty much merged. Kwis isn’t growing much at all and sounds like they have pretty good lines around it.

Hopefully this weather holds long enough for them to contain this. More rain and possible lightning Sunday which is scary since next week we have 2 hundred plus days.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.