Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since there's no eyewear forum, I may as well ask it hear...

I got the hookup on Oakley eyewear. I've always been a Smith guy, but free is a very good price, so I'm making the switch...

I'm looking at the Radar glasses, probably the Range model since it has the most coverage. Anyone here wearing these glasses? If so, what lens are you running? Majority of my riding is in the NW forests, so relatively dark with intermittent blasts of sunlight throught the tree tops or clearcut crossings.

Anyone have a suggestion for lens tints? Or maybe another model of Oakley's for riding?

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Regardless of make

Oakley or whatever, in the PNW forest use clear lenses. Even in summer, with a sunny day, it can be dark in dense forests. Hope I made myself clear.

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I had the latest Radar's, good glasses for sure, but then I got the Jawbones, they leave the Radars for DEAD....

Go with the Photocromatic lenses, they are awesome...

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
I collect Oakleys and I bought a pair of the Jawbones. with photochromatic lenses. I made the mistake of getting the vented ones. I assume these are for slow people or runners. My favorite riding pair is the Monster Dogs with Transitions lenses. the cover my eyes entirely and adapt really well to changes in light and shadows.

·
I'm a bottom feeder...
156 Posts
that was pretty scary above!!! i've been using the Radar's with a persimmon (sp)? lenses. Been using them since the radars came out. they stick to my big ass head good, even good and sweaty. The persimmon lenses are not dark and cut glare great coming in and out of cover.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Another vote for Jawbones, awesome glasses. Mine have the vented lenses which at first is a bit weird as you can feel the wind coming through but once used to it they are great, no fogging up and great optics! The only thing is the colour, I got 'Retina Burn', which I knew were going to be bright, but damn! You need sunglasses to look at the sunglasses! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
The radars are good glasses for sure. They have superior coverage and are far enough off your face so they don't fog up.

If you're riding in dark conditions like what you mentioned, go with the clear lens. I ride in Santa Cruz and the grey lenses the glasses came with make everything seem very dark, even during the middle of the day

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got the Mframe, radar, and jawbone. IMHO It's hard to find one lens that fit all riding conditions all year round. So I just bought clear and a few other shades 40 - 90% and swap out the lenses to fit the riding conditions. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick the ice iridium because of looks and ability to adapt in and out of shades. Persimmon is also good but I just don't like the look.

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
Oakley is a solid product and are the industrie leaders for polarized lenses and other techs. I have cabon fibre flakjackets with polarized lense. I love them. But the best idea rather than ask people what glasses look sick and work get out there and try some on. Sometimes the frame just doesn't mix with certain faces and everybody has different eyes, so you may feel you can ride in a darker lense than other. Another sick thing is going into a certified dealer and building your glasses up custom(as I did). Plus you can see what different lense do for you... it has alot to do with you riding conditions and regular life... I need the polarized for beach-lifeguarding... helps on the rides and winter skiing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I like my flakjackets with persimmon lenses too. Tried on the radar at the shop and didn't fit well. There is quite a variation in Oakley glasses and how they fit different faces, so worth trying on before buying. Make sure they aren't going to fog up on you, which they will do if too close to your skin. Lens-wise I would say orange (persimmon) or clear as mentioned earlier for deep forest riding. I've heard that the transition lenses have a bit of lag time on changing, not ideal if you are speeding through singletrack, nothing quite like hitting a dark section with dark glasses. Whatever Oakleys you end up getting make sure they have the grippy rubber arms, they never slip off.

www.mountainkiwi.co.nz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.