Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy a pair of oakley half jackets which came with black iridium lenses and I foud it a little too dark when the sun isn't at it's full brightness, so I planned to buy a pair of replacement lenses.
Which color can serve me to the most light conditions ?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have a set of half jackets but there doesn't seem to be much of a choice of lenses for them yet (at least when I bought them). I think there is a lighter gray lens for lower light condition on the VR28 I think it was called which is a light redish lens if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
VR28 is good all-conditions

I got the VR28 lenses in my prescription Oakleys I got last year. Search the forums, there are many posts where people talk about the Oakley lenses they have for what conditions.

The VR28's enhance contrast, so they're good for MTB'ing where you're spending a lot of the time in trees and out of direct sun. For long periods in direct sun I'd rather have a darker lens, but since the Rx glasses are expensive I compromised on the VR28s for all-around use.

The VR28's transmit 28% of visible light. The Fire's (18% transmission) are about halfway between VR28 and the Black Iridium (9%)

·
sh*t disturber
348 Posts
I really like the "G30"

mesmo said:
I buy a pair of oakley half jackets which came with black iridium lenses and I foud it a little too dark when the sun isn't at it's full brightness, so I planned to buy a pair of replacement lenses.
Which color can serve me to the most light conditions ?
It's a so called "golf" lens. Whatever. It's just a VR28 with an iridium coating, IMHO. You can use it in a wide variety of conditions. I rarely take mine out except in real bright sun, or late late darkness (when I switch to Persimmon or HI Yellow). I have both the G30 and VR28 and they're identical except for the coating. If you want to save $$$, go with the 28.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
G30s or VR28s seem to be the best IMHO

For christmas I bought my dad a set of G30 M Frames since he is a golfing enthusiast and asked him if I could give them a go on the trails after initially trying them just around the house.

The let through 30% of natural light and are a high contrast lens so I believe them to be well suited for MTB. I have warn mine in really bright conditions and also dull conditions and think they work really well. Actually I think the G30s work really nicely in dull conditions.

As already said G30s or VR28s if you don't want to spend the money! I bought the M Frames for myself with the Sweep lense and they have been the best!

Ciao
Trevor!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts