Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Just got a pair of crazyarsed green.

I got my first pair of oakley balistics a couple of weeks ago... I'm now an official baggy convert. These are WAY more comfortable than a baggy shell over lycra cycling shorts. Thumbs up.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
cactuscorn said:
just grabed 2 pair at $51 per. the search is over.
Good deal CC! I was in a meeting when they showed up, but I saw your post here before I checked my mail and saw they had showed up. I was about to buy the green ones, but I already have 5 pairs I rotate through, so I am good on shorts (all bought through SAC or CL.)

Weird things when I got my last 2 pairs a few weeks ago, they were $38 each. I wonder why they were $51 this time. Maybe this stock of them cost them more?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Bikezilla said:
The last pair I bought was ~38 bucks too. Today's special has pockets and such. Guess they're a more expensive model?
I am not sure. Those are exactly like the ones I got last time for $38, but I got a black pair and a red pair. Same pockets, vents, etc.

they are a big long, I wish they were a hair shorter, maybe and inch or so. But for the money and quality, totally worth it IMHO.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I just looked at my order history, my last pair were Oakley Descent Bike Shorts. They don't have exterior pockets. (one key pocket inside)
They came with a pretty decent tire lever though. Price $44 bucks.

Guess you have to catch them on the right day. Is it my imagination or were the deals in SAC more aggressively priced than CL?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Bikezilla said:
I just looked at my order history, my last pair were Oakley Descent Bike Shorts. They don't have exterior pockets. (one key pocket inside)
They came with a pretty decent tire lever though. Price $44 bucks.

Guess you have to catch them on the right day. Is it my imagination or were the deals in SAC more aggressively priced than CL?
I think you are right, I've gotten quite a bit of SAC seemingly cheaper than CL. Some Dakine Cross X gloves for $10, about 3 or 4 each of LS and SS oakley jerseys for about $16 each, Dakine Nomad pack for $35, etc etc.

The CL items do seem priced a bit higher, from what I have noticed

At least SAC/CL has helped me stock up on riding gear super cheaply. My wife just shakes her head when a package arrives from them now. The response is usually "What'd you get dirt cheap now?" :D :D

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think the descents were a shell only. i have seen the balistics in the sub $40 range before. my 1st pair were about 35 bones but for somethin this comfy and well made, ill gladly pay 50. lookin fwd to checkin out the 2 pc design you guys all rave about. my older balistics were a 1 pc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Zilla, do the Descents have a chamy liner, just not removable? I was thinking they were shell only also.

CC, the 2 piece Ballistics are night and day better than the 1 piece I find. I used to have a pair of the older ones like you have on in your pic.

EDIT: forgot go add, the best thing about the 2 piece one is that if the chamy liner every wears out, you can just buy some spandex chamy of your choice, and still wear the shorts over top.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Thanks for the heads up - 2 pr are on the way - I assume these are sized like the other pairs I have - way bigger than normal - I usually wear a medium, but in Oakleys I have to get small to avoid swimming in them. That green is sick 'Zilla, not for me, but I think you could pull it off with your Adidas sneakers on the skinnies:p

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool. i thought they were shells so i passed em by.

still plenty left in the "green line" color and a few smalls in "new khaki". remember, the mediums fit big, more like a large.

Attachments

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,551 Posts
Bikezilla said:
They came with a pretty decent tire lever though.
The Oakley levers bend like hot fudge when trying to mount DH tires. After I bent all of mine trying to get a 2.5 Nev mounted I had to go to the LBS to get it done.

The Ballistic's seem to run slightly big, I picked up some of the Ballistic 3.6's last year (with one pair in the bright yellow/green) from SAC for $37.50, I prefer the MTB 3.6's which cost $26 from SAC and are similar.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
yup, the do run bigger than usual. I still have to wear a large though, and just cinch up the buttons on the inside.

I must be in between sizes, b/c there is no way in hell i could fit in a medium chamy liner, the large one is almost tight. Ideally i think i'd be better with large liners and medium shells.

6th, I have a pair of the MTB 3.6's as well, I like them also. I also have two pairs of the 3.6 Ballistics, and one thing I notice with all three is they have that mesh liner on the inside, where as the 3.7 Ballistics don't have a liner, thus making them a tad cooler I found.

I also noticed that the only real difference b/w the 3.6 and 3.7 ballistics besides the liner is the material. The 3.6 have a ripstop type material all over, and a canvas type on the pockets. The 3.7's are the other way around, ripstop pockets and canvas everywhere else.

There's way more than anyone wanted to know about them. :D

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I 5th the Oakleys run big. The good thing about the Ballistics being a 2-piece'er is the chamois is quality and you could use it in other non-lined shorts.

Anyone know if the Oakley jerseys run similarly big or are they more normal?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Roy said:
Anyone know if the Oakley jerseys run similarly big or are they more normal?
The jersey's are more normal. I always wear a large in anything, and they fit well. Tad roomier for comfort on the trail, but I def wouldn't want them in mediums.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.