Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is, from the "paddle boat" entrance to the north trailhead?

I tried to look it up on the BUMP site, but I can never seem to connect to their site for more than three clicks.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
distance from south to north trailhead

I ride that trail just about every weekend. The distance betwwen the trail heads is about 7-7.25 miles. The entire loop is 17 miles. When you get to the north trailhead take a right and start climbing if you want to complete the loop

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eddie! I usually ride that stretch up and back, starting at NTH, STH, or the BMX track. I only ride the full loop when I'm in the mood for some abuse!

·
Registered
198 Posts
3rd Saturday Ride

Hey Hanshann....BUMP sponsors a third Saturday ride out at Oak Mountain...the 3rd Saturday of every month...imagine that. Anyway the 3rd Saturday ride is this Saturday (the 15th). Meets at the south trail head (near the BUMP shed - at the parking lot 1/2 mile past the beach) and is for all abilities. Maybe you can show up out there and ride some time.
Good chance to meet and ride with a group of all skill level riders.

·
Registered
87 Posts
justaguy said:
Hey Hanshann....BUMP sponsors a third Saturday ride out at Oak Mountain...the 3rd Saturday of every month...imagine that. Anyway the 3rd Saturday ride is this Saturday (the 15th). Meets at the south trail head (near the BUMP shed - at the parking lot 1/2 mile past the beach) and is for all abilities. Maybe you can show up out there and ride some time.
Good chance to meet and ride with a group of all skill level riders.
Justaguy, Do you know when BUMP plans on posting the Trails section of their website? That's the most important information for newcomers and it's still not available.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Soon

I know the guys are working hard. Actually just got the new site up a couple of months ago. Have been working on getting the race results posted, and I know they are working on the rest of the features (including the trail section). Might want to drop them an email letting them know that the interest is there.

I would remind you that BUMP is a volunteer organization, and while we would all like to see the site fully functional, race results and pics posted sooner, new features and so forth,,,,,,the people that maintain the site have regular jobs, help maintain the trails at Oak Mountain and at Trussville, attend board and club meetings, are planning for the Dead Dog race in October, and also like to ride every now and then. Just try to be patient and appreciate the work that IS done. I will forward your comments as well, and maybe they can focus on getting th trail section opened.

Also, if there is something I can send you as far as trail maps or directions, PM me and I will see what I have. As far as reviews, the trail section here is as good as it gets. Most of the information is pretty good and is accurate for the most part.

Ride On!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Id just like to say thanks to BUMP for maintaining the Oak Mtn trail. I rode it this past weekend and saw where several sections had been improved where erosion had taken its tole. Thanks for all of your hard work guys.

Back to the question - like the other post said - its about 7 miles from the paddle boat section to the north trailhead.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:confused: :???: Thanks for the info, justaguy! I've been to one BUMP mtg and was really impressed by BUMP's organization. I keep meaning to make a donation, but I keep forgetting. Should I send it to this address?:

BUMP
P.O. Box 590061
Birmingham, Alabama
35259-0061

I want to make a donation, though I won't be joining for 2 reasons. First, I'm moving out of the state in a couple months. Second, I feel a bit at odds with the direction BUMP is taking with trail maintenance, in that the trail seems to be getting smoother and smoother at the expense of not developing intermmediate and technical trail. If I were staying in the area, I'd definitely be putting my time into promoting and hopefully building extra loops or something that provide a bit more of a technical challenge (and opportunity for growth) for XC riders. In any case, I definitely appreciate the efforts of all the members who sweat and toil on the trail and in PR/advocacy! :thumbsup:

btw- I don't know if BUMP is aware of continued problems with access to their website? I can usually get on the site, but within 2-4 clicks I can no longer access any of the pages. This happens with IE, Netscape, and Firefox from home and at work. In fact, right now is one of those times.:confused: :???:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi my name is Ryan and I just joined the forum.I was just browsing and "Oak Mountain" caught my eye. Nice to finally see some B'ham riders.

Im going to be coming to the BUMP meeting on saturday, and hopefully joining. I know I need to bring the registration fee but do I need to get parental consent since I am under 18? (I'm 17 btw)

Hope to see you guys saturday. Will only be my second time taking my new bike to Oak Mountain. My 2007 hardrock sport :D .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Smoother? sometimes

Hanshann, Appreciate the comments. The intent is not to make the trails smoother. Sometimes it seems that way, but the real idea is to keep the trail in it's boundary. The trail is in the state park, and all the work we have done lately is to bring the boundaries back in. The last big work was the Garretts Gulch reroute. That did take a rutted, washed out trail and move it up on the ridge to get out of the water drain. If you notice, the new section is pretty narrow, and has a couple of whoops in it. Seems a little smoother, but no faster and much more environmentally friendly.

Last weekend we were working on a couple of areas. One is the turn off the group camp road to the Garretts Gulch. Right after you start up the hill the trail had become 20 feet wide. There were half a dozen lines there. Everyone seems to love singletrack, but keep expanding the lines to get around this root or that rock and next thing you know the trail is 30 feet across. We brought the trail back to one line and put a 4 foot log jump between the two trees if you are coming downhill. We also closed off the smooth entrance to that section. Now you either go over the log pile or jump up on the 18 inch log and ride it length wise. Just a couple of new ostacles. We also took out a small bridge (was Bridge 4 on the seven bridges trail) and replaced with a rock fjord so that water contines to flow after a rain, and the bridge will not act as a dam. Nice little whoop if you are ready for it.

Sometimes it seems we are making the trail smoother, but in fact we are armoring the roots where the trail is eroding. When the root is completely exposed (sitting an inch or two abobe the ground) and gets as much traffic as Oak Mountain, you will eventually kill it. Again it is a state park and part of the charter is to protect the nature. We are always trying to maintain the trails without making them smooth.

If you check the BUMP site, someone has been working on sections of the trail on their own....removing rocks from the rock gardens, cutting trees where they are too close to their line, etc. BUMP does not want that. I am sure it is a well intentioned person, but it is not BUMP.

Sorry for the long response, but if no one says anything, most people never know. BUMP wants the trails to be suitable for riders of all abilities. We want fast singletrack, areas where families can ride, and technical sections. The intent is not and has never been to smooth the trails out, only to protect and maintain them. We have many members who want more of the technical sections that you prefer.

Thanks for riding Oak Mountain. Thanks for the positive comments, and thanks in advance for any donations (I think the web site can accept them now).....and come out to another meeting sometime...better yet come out for a workday, and see what we are trying to do.

Ride On.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome Ryan

Hope to see you out there Saturday. As far as I know you do not need parental permission to join, but I do not know for a fact. Try the BUMP website

www.bump.org

Maybe you will have better luck. Hanshann....not sure what the problem with the site is. I had a little trouble last weekend :madman: but it seems to be fine today. I logged on from work and again from home tonight with no problems. I will pass the word on to the webmasters that some people are having trouble.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Guy -

No need to apologize - I for one certainly appreciate the the detailed response! I am looking forward to seeing the changes, especially this 4-foot drop you mentioned. Although I still liked the old gulch better, I understand the need to work with the park service's wishes. Maybe I still will come out to the next work day- I do owe something back to this area for the great rides!

Concerning the BUMP website, I'm glad others aren't having a problem. How weird...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the opportunity to ride Oak Mountain today while enroute from Dallas to Atlanta. While I only rode about 10 miles out and back because of time contraints, I'd just like to say kudos to the BUMP guys and girls for an amazing trail! I had an absolute blast!

The trail was wonderfully maintained. One of the BUMP volunteers showed me the new rerouted section around the old wagon road. Banking up the reroute must have taken hours. It was spectacular! Again, great job! I'm just sorry I rarely get to Alabama.

I hope to catch it again on my way back through next weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oregon said:
I had the opportunity to ride Oak Mountain today while enroute from Dallas to Atlanta. While I only rode about 10 miles out and back because of time contraints, I'd just like to say kudos to the BUMP guys and girls for an amazing trail! I had an absolute blast!

The trail was wonderfully maintained. One of the BUMP volunteers showed me the new rerouted section around the old wagon road. Banking up the reroute must have taken hours. It was spectacular! Again, great job! I'm just sorry I rarely get to Alabama.

I hope to catch it again on my way back through next weekend.
Well if you do, maybe you could plan a ride with us.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not that I know of

The only organized ride I know of at Oak Mountain on Saturdays is the third Saturday ride (last Saturday). There is a ride at 5:30 each Wednesday from the South trailhead, and a ride every Thursday at 6:30 at the Trussville Sports Complex.

There is a ride planned for this Saturday at Lake Lurleen State park in Tuscaloosa. From the BUMP email news it should be for all skill levels. Some will do the loop (15 miles) and some will do the out and back.....

If you PM me, I can send the BUMP newsletter, or you can get the info from the site....where and when to meet, etc.

wwww.bump.org

If you go to the site, you can sign up to recieve monthly newsletters with details of BUMP activities in the area. You do not have to be a member to get the newsletters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.