Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mtb Extraordinaire
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to drive through Alabama tomorrow on my way to Jackson, MS. I'm going to stop at 1 of these places to ride ...... which does everyone prefer ???

I'm an expert level XC rider and am looking for techy singletrack and a few good hours on the bike. I've ridden Oak Mtn about 5 yrs ago in an XTerra race so although, I've ridden it, I haven't really seen it. From what I remember, it was a solid trail system but I also hear great things about Coldwater MTn.

Also, once my business is done in Jackson, I'm going to head up to Noxubee Hills in central MS. Looks like it should be a fun ride and another state MTB'd in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are both really good and you can’t go wrong with either. Oak Mt has a little more trail variety, but Coldwater has some really fun extended descents. I would ride whichever is more convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thing is both are very convenient, though I'd say Coldwater will be more convenient being right of I-20, I live right next to Oak Mtn, and it's great.

How many miles do you plan on riding. Neither park will let you down, and both have a good bit of raw terrain.

·
Mtb Extraordinaire
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thing is both are very convenient, though I'd say Coldwater will be more convenient being right of I-20, I live right next to Oak Mtn, and it's great.

How many miles do you plan on riding. Neither park will let you down, and both have a good bit of raw terrain.
Coldwater is a few minutes more convenient but not enough to sway my decision. I'll do the full loop at either place .... so 21+ miles for Oak and 28+ for Coldwater.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have no experience with Oak but Coldwater is my favorite road trip ride, it's 2 hours from me. It's got it all, gut busting climbs, smooth downhill with Hare, chunk downhill at Bomb Dog, a chunky jump line with Oval Office. Gazza is the most ridiculous rock garden I've ever seen, Trillium is an awesome flow trail that can be treated like a pump track or you can catch 10 feet of air if you want.

I will look into Oak mountain.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you haven't done Coldwater yet I'd suggest that. I know riding in race conditions on a race course isn't the best way to explore a trail system but I would still lean towards Coldwater between the two. Both are great.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I prefer Oak Mountain. It is more natural looking to me. Cold water is rough with hard dirt and river rock.

Is Oak Mountain back to normal after all the storm damage? I was hoping to go this fall.

·
Mtb Extraordinaire
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got home a few minutes ago. I ended up riding Coldwater on Tues, Noxubee Hills, MS on Wed, and Oak Mtn today.

Coldwater - was pretty cool. Although not somewhere I would go to more than once a year. I love all the work they've done but for a pure XC ride it is somewhat lacking. There's sections of great singletrack scattered about but it takes too much connector trail to link them together. Oddly enough, I found myself liking the climbing better than the descents (other than Bomb Dog. that was a great descent). I would imagine the trails would be much better if they were wet (rain all week, kind of rain) and it seems taylor made for an Ebike.

Noxubee Hills - was super fun. Definitely worth a 1-2hr detour if you're anywhere near there. Very different trail than Coldwater or Oak Mtn. Not very technical but enough to keep you on your toes and the trails used the terrain PERFECTLY !!!!! Whoever built the trails, squeezed every last bit out of the topography. Well done. I would definitely go back if I'm anywhere near there.

Oak Mtn - Was much better than the Xterra course from when I rode there 7 yrs ago. I'm from the Northeast, so the techy stuff up on top was really making me smile. LOVED every minute of it !!! It's crazy how varied the terrain is here. 30min of fast singletrack, 30min super techy slabs and constant 'almost rock gardens' up on top, then a 30min decent that is butter smooth, at top speed, followed by another 20min of fast singletrack. This was the hands down favorite.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have no experience with Oak but Coldwater is my favorite road trip ride, it's 2 hours from me. It's got it all, gut busting climbs, smooth downhill with Hare, chunk downhill at Bomb Dog, a chunky jump line with Oval Office. Gazza is the most ridiculous rock garden I've ever seen, Trillium is an awesome flow trail that can be treated like a pump track or you can catch 10 feet of air if you want.

I will look into Oak mountain.
Avatar looks like Cochran Mill...based on your screen name I'm assuming you're local to the area?

To stay on topic, CW is worth the trip. The extended descents make it worth the trip for me, and the varied terrain vs my local. Still need to link up with the Bama boys over at Oak Mtn. @WhiteDLite

·
Registered
652 Posts
Same...sorta. I'm in west Newnan so I spend more time at Browns Mill due to proximity and available time to ride (or lack there of...kids/work).
I've been to Brown's Mill several times but when I realize Cochran is 5 minutes longer drive, I usually go there instead. I do like some of the little jumps they have set up at Browns.

Here in PTC we have Stinky Trails but it's dog crap compared to the other options. Tons of roots, not much elevation, not maintained really.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been to Brown's Mill several times but when I realize Cochran is 5 minutes longer drive, I usually go there instead. I do like some of the little jumps they have set up at Browns.

Here in PTC we have Stinky Trails but it's dog crap compared to the other options. Tons of roots, not much elevation, not maintained really.
Yea Browns isn’t worth going out your way for, but it being 5-10min from my house vs the 20-30min it takes me to get to Cochran, Browns usual gets the call for quick rides.

There’s a couple mile loops over in Carroll county on the river now too that are ok every once in a while, Moore’s Bridge.

My in-laws live in Fairburn so I still hit Cochran pretty frequently.

Man I haven’t ridden Stinky in probably 5+yrs. Once the developments started really mandating trail reroutes I kind of assumed it was dead or would be trespassing eventually.

·
Registered
821 Posts
What are the trails like at Cochran? Always looking for options to ride. Looks like it's about 90 minutes from me which is a little closer than Coldwater or Oak Mountain. My two closest are standing boy and chewachala. Standing boy is OK I'm not a fan of the artificial feel of the trails. Chewachala trail features feel more organic instead of "lets put a pile of rocks in the trail to make a feature" but isn't very challenging. My son is 12 going on 13 isn't a big fan of big steep pedaling trails but sometimes we get to do trails dad likes too :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
What are the trails like at Cochran? Always looking for options to ride. Looks like it's about 90 minutes from me which is a little closer than Coldwater or Oak Mountain. My two closest are standing boy and chewachala. Standing boy is OK I'm not a fan of the artificial feel of the trails. Chewachala trail features feel more organic instead of "lets put a pile of rocks in the trail to make a feature" but isn't very challenging. My son is 12 going on 13 isn't a big fan of big steep pedaling trails but sometimes we get to do trails dad likes too :D
Cochran is the poster child for old school single track. Not the greatest of flow, and I’m not meaning flow trail, just general trail flow…you follow? It has a decent mix of technical stuff, some tight areas, and a mix of ups and down. No real extended climbs or descents, almost what you’d expect from the elevation gains of the area.

It definitely suits intermediate riders most IMHO. I think it can be a bit much for full on beginners, and would be rather underwhelming for expert riders who went out of their way to ride there.

I’ve only ridden Chewachala once, but I’d compare Cochran to some of the trails on the southwest side of the lake there. Admittedly I didn’t have the time or energy to ride everything there so that may not be the most accurate comparison.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree with kneedropper here. There is one decent jump line at Cochran and a technical section that is nearly impossible to climb but fun going down. Otherwise it's uninspiring single track with climbs that aren't too tough. One thing I do like is there is a view to it, multiple waterfalls and a couple creeks you can ride along. Very often a ride can feel kinda boring.

Is it worth a road trip? I really think it could be, thought it's not in the class of coldwater by a long shot. If you ride everything at Cochran it think it totals about 20 miles. Specifically to Deore, while the trails at Cochran Mill are machine cut, it definitely feels old school. I think it would be perfect for a young teen rider, nothing there is too hard to climb and only a few sections might be too technical to ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.