Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up, just bought a medium nomad pretty bad ass, it has the 1.5 inch steer tube for a larger fork. Does anyone know if a seven inch travel fork will work on that baby? Will it effect my climbing? Also Riding Mavic 823 tubeless, but have kenda nevagals tube tires as of right now. Keep getting pinch flats, every ride. I air those suckers up to about 40 psi, which then makes the rear end slippery in the crud, got any recommendations?

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
the nevegals are a good tire, slightly on the heavy side, but good. I've also had good luck with the Maxxis High Roller.

congrats on the Nomad1.5. I think the 7" fork will work, and yes it will probably affect the climbing, but then again, you've also got additional weight to deal with, not just the affected geometry.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Had the same problem:

Got a medium nomad with 823's and had nevegals that pinched.

Moved to specialized ESKAR control 2.3 2bliss tires. They have the UST bead, but no extra lining, so they are light at about 680 grams. Fill them with stans and you will lose weight, no flats, no pinches, and lower air pressure = better traction. All the benefits of ghetto tubeless but without the weight of UST tires.

Rubber is also tacky (low durometer) and tread looks similar to nevegals and handles just as good. Swore by nevegals, but theit UST's suck at 2.1 and no stick-ee rubber, and are heavy. The ESKAR's are what finally made me use my 823's to their full UST potential. I was tired of getting screwed by heavy UST tires and then not using my UST rims which I paid good money, for since Kenda wouldn't make a good UST 2.3 Nevegal stick-ee.

BYE-BYE Kenda.....thanks for never listening:madman: . Hello ESKAR. :thumbsup:

They totally changed my traction and roll fast. Cheap too....retail is $35 at lbs.

I am never going back.:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey on my nomad i have shimano grip shifters. Anybody recommed better grip shifters? I have an xtr shimano rear derailer, the cage is too big for my nomad. I am running straight through axle bolt on rear hub so everytime i get a flat it is a biatch to get the tire on due to the size of the rear derailer. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Bomber
982 Posts
x0 twist shift and x0 rear derailleur. Don't like the cost? O well, you want the best, there is the best.

·
Bomber
982 Posts
About 225$ for a set of shifters. About 250 for the rear dérailleur. Sorry for the attitude, I'm a little tired of people going around lookin fer best deals (long day at the shop).

·
Registered
255 Posts
must say re the Nevegals, they were a puncture magnet for me. I am sticking with Maxxis, never had a problem. If your planning on giving that 170 fork and those 823 what they can take i would agree, go stans, also go big 2.35- 2.5+ and also try and use the Dual Ply tyres ( oh and the Non ust babies fit just fine with Stans in on 823's ) Try Minions or High Rollers.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.