Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I finished the build up and restoration of a 2002 O2 frame I picked up on Ebay. New decals, touch up paint on the cable wear spots, and a complete LX parts kit. This bike stays true to the original design, 3.1" rockers and an 80mm Mars Manitou fork. I feels REALLY different than the same frame built with the X rockers and 100mm Reba up front. The Cane Creek AD-12 is a huge air canister shock - it literally takes about 100 pumps to hit the recommended air pressure of 185lbs. It has a tendency to bob, not having a platform of any kind, so you need to crank the compression adjustment down pretty hard and tune in the rebound damping. Once set up properly though it has a very linear feel and a smooth stroke. Not as nice as the RP3 or Manitou, but OK for its limited travel. The whole thing came in at $1,100, not including the fork which I had sitting in the shop looking for a home. Weight is just under 28 lbs with pedals. The next upgrade would be a better wheel set which would shave a pound or more off the total, but for a beginning rider, this bike should be a nice introduction to full suspension. The one picture of the two bikes below shows the newly built O2 next to my personal O2 with the bigger travel.

Attachments

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Nice, I almost bid on that one too. I'm just having trouble deciding whether to go smaller or bigger than the Spot. Everytime I think I'd like something a little more XC, I see a Pack post and think maybe I should go a little more FR. I don't know...

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose the real extreme XC build on this frame could have been a 0 degree rise stem, flat bars, V-brakes, full XTR, a SID world cup fork, Swinger 3-way shock, and a superlight wheelset wiht 1.75 semi-slicks. Probably could have gotten under 25lbs. But who would ride it? Certainly not me, once you get spoiled by 4" or more of travel, disk brakes and nice set of riser bars there's no going back. Go for a Flux Chris ;)

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
decisions, decisions

cutthroat said:
I suppose the real extreme XC build on this frame could have been a 0 degree rise stem, flat bars, V-brakes, full XTR, a SID world cup fork, Swinger 3-way shock, and a superlight wheelset wiht 1.75 semi-slicks. Probably could have gotten under 25lbs. But who would ride it? Certainly not me, once you get spoiled by 4" or more of travel, disk brakes and nice set of riser bars there's no going back. Go for a Flux Chris ;)
Its a toss up between the Flux and the Pack, but I can run the Spot with lighter wheels, fork and tires and have a Flux-ish ride with a little more travel of I can go with burly wheels, fork and tires and have a Pack-ish ride with a little less travel, making the decision to get a new ride way too tough. So I just keep getting forks, shocks and tires for the Spot. Those purchases have kept me from pulling the trigger on the Flux/Pack. Though I saw an 04 closeout Yeti ASX with 7" F&R for $1600 the other day that looked really nice for the $$$. Made me say hmmm...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.