Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so instead of going out and riding today, i watched the second half of the FIFA world cup final between italy and france. it's the first time i've ever watched more than five minutes of a "football" game in the "world" sense and to be frank, i'm just not all that impressed with soccer.

that said, i have an appreciation for the athletecism and endurance required for the sport but watching twenty two guys chase a ball around for ninety minutes doesn't float my boat. it seems like something that's a lot more fun to participate in, rather than watch.

the fact that i grew in ohio watching and playing basketball, baseball and american football plays a big factor in my attitude towards soccer as well

do any of you think that the "beautiful game" will ever become as popular in the US as it is in the rest of the world?

has cycling become more popular in the united states since lance won seven straight tours? will team america have to make it to the final four in the world cup before this game takes off in the US?

tell me what you think, especially those of you living between the coasts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
well, first off, where you went wrong was watching it instead of riding. Of course you were not going to be very impressed, the alternative held too high of standards. But secondly, I really don't think soccer will ever take off in the US. We have too many other sports that have a lot of history. Just think of it, even POKER became popularized before soccer. I would be ashamed if I was a soccer player. No disrespect to soccer players, they are amazing athletes, and when they have close ups of the soccer players dribbling, their handling skills are downright SICK. With that said though, most of the game takes place in the center of the field, with the ball being kicked out of bounds, high in the air, to the opposite team, etc. Just not exciting enough for Americans. As a die hard baseball fan, I am witnessing the decline of baseball for the same reason, it's "too slow," and "too boring."

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
mikeb said:
so instead of going out and riding today, i watched the second half of the FIFA world cup final between italy and france. it's the first time i've ever watched more than five minutes of a "football" game in the "world" sense and to be frank, i'm just not all that impressed with soccer.

that said, i have an appreciation for the athletecism and endurance required for the sport but watching twenty two guys chase a ball around for ninety minutes doesn't float my boat. it seems like something that's a lot more fun to participate in, rather than watch.

the fact that i grew in ohio watching and playing basketball, baseball and american football plays a big factor in my attitude towards soccer as well

do any of you think that the "beautiful game" will ever become as popular in the US as it is in the rest of the world?

has cycling become more popular in the united states since lance won seven straight tours? will team america have to make it to the final four in the world cup before this game takes off in the US?

tell me what you think, especially those of you living between the coasts.
Well, the game has taken off in the US. 28% of US children play organized soccer. How does that compare to baesball? 27% play baseball. US pro soccer league turned 10 this year, so it is still young but is growing.

You need to read this:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/socce...jul09,0,532496.story?coll=ny-soccer-headlines

That being said, soccer is still less popular in the United States as a television spectator sport even though the US has been in the last 4 World Cups. Television viewing was up this World Cup to the highest ratings ever, but still not a threat to other sports.

The real question is this: "Would you rather watch a FIFA match or a poker match on ESPN?":madman:

BB

P.S. I enjoy watching soccer and thought yesterday's match between Italy and France was pretty damn thrilling.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I don't see why so many people complain about not liking a certain sport. If you don't like it, don't watch it, or don't play it. Obviously OTHER people enjoy it. I went riding early and got back in time to watch the world cup :D

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
DP1112 said:
I would be ashamed if I was a soccer player. No disrespect to soccer players, they are amazing athletes, and when they have close ups of the soccer players dribbling, their handling skills are downright SICK. With that said though, most of the game takes place in the center of the field, with the ball being kicked out of bounds, high in the air, to the opposite team, etc. Just not exciting enough for Americans. As a die hard baseball fan, I am witnessing the decline of baseball for the same reason, it's "too slow," and "too boring."
I don't understand why a soccer player should be ashamed that they play soccer? I've never watched it until this World Cup but I watched a bunch of games and they're all pretty thrilling. Just the atmosphere alone is amazing, with the crowds chanting and all of that. The sport itself is more thrilling than I thought it would be. Those guys seem to know where each and every one of their teammates is on the field because they always seem to rapidly fire it off between each other without a hitch. Its MUCH more exciting than baseball, anyways :p

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
It's popular with the little kids

because at that level it doesn't require much skill, everyone gets to play, and the parents are entertained. As the kids get older fewer kids play and there are fewer teams and fewer kids get to play. In High School Soccer the athleticism is awesome an the team work has developed. As these kids get older ther are even fewer teams and fewer players. For any and all of these athletes it is a great game.
Here in California we have a large Latino population and they bring a huge amount of enthusiasm and talent to Soccer.
Having said all of that, there are no crowds watching the games. For my part I didn't watch a single World Cup Game. I just happened to turn it on when overtime started and Italy and France were tied. Italy looked tired but didn't break, France looked clever but didn't score. Some hystrionics. Shootout. Puh-leez. It makes the previous regulation play and overtime dryhumping.
So. No, in spite of the kids leagues and the insinuation of the sport into our culture I don't think it will catch on. It is just too much flailing.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. It's no wonder that people who spend a few minutes watching soccer tell us they "just don't get it". Of course they just don't get it. It takes time to understand a sport and appreciate it. How much time did they spend watching or playing the sports they enjoy before they got it? I don't care if they "get it" or not. To each his own. I enjoy the sport and that's all that counts for me. I watched most of the game but my non-soccer buds came over just at the end of the second overtime period to ride. I took off before the shoot out and missed the end. I knew I'd see some replays and doing is better than watching just about any sport.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To be honest, I never gave soccer a chance. I always just pushed it off as a horribly boring sport when my favorite sport is almost the same game (hockey). One of my friends from work who is from Scottland and was heavily involved in soccer (ref, coach, player) was very excited about the world cup so i decided to give it a chance. I really think it's an exciting game to watch and had plenty of holy **** moments watching the world cup. My team won and that's always a plus. Did anyone see that headbutt the France team captain hit that Italian with? One of the craziest things i've seen in sports.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, there are 14.1 million soccer participants in the US and only 9.2 million mountain biking participants. By that measure I don't think mountain biking will ever catch on.

Curious what your definition of "catch on" is? Does the sport need a national TV network contract to have "caught on"?

SOURCE: National Sporting Goods Association
http://www.nsga.org/public/pages/index.cfm?pageid=150

·
I play hard to want
360 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Well, the game has taken off in the US. 28% of US children play organized soccer. How does that compare to baesball? 27% play baseball.
I think this has a lot to do with the fact that soccer takes a lot less coordination for children than baseball. That's not to say that the pro soccer players don't have skill--they are all very good at what they do, but it's a lot easier for a kid to kick a soccer ball than hit a baseball.

BruceBrown said:
The real question is this: "Would you rather watch a FIFA match or a poker match on ESPN?":madman:
It's a horse apiece--either one will put me to sleep. I think soccer would become more popular with hockey-style fights.

It's still more exciting than NASCAR though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I didn't mean I would be ashamed because I was a soccer player. I meant that I'd be ashamed that I live in a country that values poker over soccer. As far as the numbers for soccer participants in the US go, I think it's pretty obvious that a large percentage of those people aren't die hard soccer players or fans, just recreational participants.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Huge Fan: I Played GK In College

I think soccer is pretty much like any other sport. If you play it or know people that do it is easier to follow and/or enjoy watching.

As others have mentioned soccer has caught on here and is a very popular kids sport. I'd venture to say that there are easly 500 times as many young soccer hopefulls in my area as opposed to youth cyclists. Cycling (organized amateur and pro) is hanging by a thread in a lot of the US. Lance may have helped more recreational riders get on a bike but I dont think he altered the competitive scene much....maybe in another 5 yrs or so but not yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
*I don't see why so many people complain about not liking a certain sport. If you don't like it, don't watch it, or don't play it. Obviously OTHER people enjoy it. I went riding early and got back in time to watch the world cup *

i'm not "complaining", jim. just stating my opinion.

*Curious what your definition of "catch on" is? Does the sport need a national TV network contract to have "caught on"?*

meloh, to answer your question, in a sense, "yes", the sport needs national exposure to "catch on" in the US. that means having regular season MLS games broadcast on network TV or ESPN with decent ratings.

let me clarify something, folks, in case you didn't read the entirety of the my original post. i told you that i have a great appreciation for the athleticism and endurance required of the men and women who play this game. i mean no disrespect for the game or the people who play it. given the fact that it is generally such a low scoring sport, however, i don't think soccer will catch the attention of the mainstream american sports fan.

don't tell me that baseball is low scoring--the indians beat the yankees on july 5th by a score of 19-1. when is the last time any of you have seen a professional level soccer game with such a score? many baseball games end up with scores of 7-5 and 4-2. most soccer games i've seen feature zero zero ties or 1-0 in overtime. it's my personal opinion that the typical sedentary beer swilling US sports fan in minneapolis would rather watch re runs of NFL highlights than a live regular season MLS game between the galaxy and the chicago fire.

*Did anyone see that headbutt the France team captain hit that Italian with? One of the craziest things i've seen in sports.*

musichead, i don't know what zidane was thinking. i'm also a little clueless as to why soccer keeps only one ref on the field, especially during such an important contest.

*I think this has a lot to do with the fact that soccer takes a lot less coordination for children than baseball. That's not to say that the pro soccer players don't have skill--they are all very good at what they do, but it's a lot easier for a kid to kick a soccer ball than hit a baseball*

offrampmotel, have you seen pro soccer players dribble the ball with their feet? like i said, i have a great appreciation for the skills soccer players exhibit, but too much of the action seems to take place in the middle of the field with no net result.

if i had a choice between game seven of the world series on TV or the FIFA world cup final, i'd take baseball every time.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
musichead, i don't know what zidane was thinking. i'm also a little clueless as to why soccer keeps only one ref on the field, especially during such an important contest.[/QUOTE]

Clueless indeed because you don't understand the sport. The whole concept of the game is predicated on flow and continuous play, not fitful stops and starts. As it was there was a lot of complaining about the referees inserting themselves into the World Cup games too much. BTW, there are three officials actively working the game, a referee and two assistant referees, and a fourth official handling substitutions. The assistant referees often call for fouls and most of the time their signals are honored by the referee. They are also primarily responsible for off side calls, balls out of play and goals. I even saw an improper throw in called by an assistant referee. Improper throw ins don't often happen at the pro level but this one happened because of sweaty hands.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
My wife and son are TOTALLY into soccer. They both play and follow MLS and of course, the World Cup. Personally I enjoy watching the game but I wouldn't miss a ride to watch even the World Cup final;) .

I Played on a mens league for one session some years ago but I gave it up cuz it was cutting into my ride time:prft:

·
Registered
84 Posts
As a soccer player and biker I can understand why some people dont really enjoy the game... Most will say it takes "no skill, theres no contact, and its boring to watch/play." But that is speaking from a person who has never played the sport, so of course your not going to just like it or follow it.

There was a show on espn at the beginning of the world cup called "Why America hates soccer" and it made some interesting points.

Personally, I am not a big fan of baseball, unless I am at the game or its something like the World Series. I occasionally play it with friends, but never competitively.

Its common sense, if your not emmerced in the sport, you most likely won't enjoy it the first time, and that goes for every sport.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I'm a fan

It was the only sport I played in college so far back people had a hard time understanding what we were playing. I rode a couple hours before the match, watched it, enjoyed it, than had a family picnic. You can have it all...............

What I found interesting was my 14 year old nephew and his friend came in for the end and understood everything about the goal kicks, etc although he never played organized soccer.

Frankly, I have a hard time getting interested in football but love to watch baseball. Plenty of choices for all of us.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
mikeb said:

I played soccer regularly for 15 years and have given it up because it's a bit hard on my 48 year old knees. A soccer game is probably best viewed as a series of individual confrontations and as a moving chess match. I doubt that anyone was actually chasing a ball for more than about one minute of the game -- most of the time at that level of play the ball was passed exactly where it was intended.

If you think that you saw twenty two guys chasing a ball around for ninety minutes (actually two hours) you are completely missing the point of the game and should probably go watch some American Football -- but all I ever see watching American football is about two hours of watching freakishly large men huddled up in little conferences and lining up and another two hourse of inane television commercials.

Anyways, participating is always better than playing. I hardly ever watch professional sports but will take in a baseball spring training game once in a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.