Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I.S. lovers, I found a new [to me[ imperial stout. Some of you northwesterners have probably allready tried it; it's called The Abyss, from the Deschutes brewery. To quote the website:

"In 2005, Deschutes Brewery officially launched its Reserve Series with Mirror Mirror, a delicious oak-aged barley wine loosely based on a double batch of Mirror Pond Pale Ale. This year our brewers decided to experiment with an Imperial Stout, appropriately named The Abyss after its dark, deep and mysterious flavor experience.

The Abyss has immeasurable depth inviting you to explore and discover its rich, complex profile. Hints of molasses, licorice and other alluring flavors draw you in further and further with each sip. And at 11% alcohol by volume, you will want to slowly savor each and every ounce.

This December marks the release date of this rare and eclectic ale. Available in wax-dipped 22-ounce bottles and on draft at select establishments."

For those of you who are fond of the Czar from the avery brewery, and of Yeti imperial stout, this brew is asking you to try it, if you can find it. Outstanding flavor, not the bite that some of you my have experienced with the czar. Expect tp pay 9 bucks for a 22 ounce bomber. Check it out:

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/Brews/Reserve+Series/default.aspx

On a personal note, it is most fatefull and ironic that I stumble across an imperial stout with the name The Abyss this evening, for today I have stepped into my own abyss. Funny how life rolls out.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
that stuff is liquid heaven

They had it on tap last time I was in bend. I'd never heard of it till then but issdahshizzle. They told me it was an experiment. I guess it passed.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kidwoo, I am pleased that you enjoyed it. I tip my cup to you; cheers!

I might have to go get another bottle.:yesnod: :bluefrown: :eek:ut: :cryin: :( :nono: :ihih: :smilewinkgrin:

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I wasn't driving (on the way to hood river) but I drank like 3 of those things. If you ever get a chance stop in .........like I need to tell you that. They've got all kinds of stuff that you never see anywhere bottled.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
9 bucks! Whats up with that? I will stick with my cheap $6 a bottle Avery flavors :) Yeah right, I will have to try it.

So please explain the irony comment

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
$9? eek! I paid $5.50 a bomber for it at my local beer peddler. I still have a case of it sitting in a cool area...I hope it makes it to next winter. It's a fantastic stout and I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I like it better than the Avery, better than the DogFish Chickory and even better than the DogFish Worldwide Stout. I have a confession, I can only taste the bourbon on the first sip and only on a clean pallette.

I've been babbling about this beer for a long time now, but if you can find Oregon Trail Bourbon Barrel aged porter, pick it up. It's my #1 favorite of all time. So much so that I bought three cases of it and am going to take great efforts to age at least one of them into 09.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the high end boutique brews available in bomber size are about 6 bucks at my local stores; I don't know why this one was priced the way it was. The dogfish brews are nice, but they are soooooo pricey. Your proximity to the source of the deschutes probably affords you that good price. I'm envious!
I'll keep an eye out for that porter; I have not seen it around, and I usually keep my eyes open for new big brews. Thanks for the tip!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,862 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I'll be looking for it tonight at my local shop which carries a great selection.
Thanks for the 411

I hope your personal abyss issues work out.
Hey Squeak that shop wouldn't happen to be on the corner of 29th & Wilson would it?

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
inkpad said:
You can go with me to Deschutes Brewery tonight, havin' a couple with burgers:yesnod:

They also have their Hop Henge on draft, damn good, hoppy as hell, 10.5% IPA :thumbsup:
you sir are a tease!! BTW...get that guest room ready, I'm definitely taking a trip there this summer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Acadian said:
you sir are a tease!! BTW...get that guest room ready, I'm definitely taking a trip there this summer :thumbsup:
A guest room always ready & waiting! I actually did an hour singletrack loop for lunch today...ON DIRT! It's 57 degrees up here, go figure?

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
inkpad said:
A guest room always ready & waiting! I actually did an hour singletrack loop for lunch today...ON DIRT! It's 57 degrees up here, go figure?
let me know what's the best month/time to go...would love to do some nice epic all mountain rides! Then celebrate with one (or a few) of these fine Deschutes brews :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Acadian said:
let me know what's the best month/time to go...would love to do some nice epic all mountain rides! Then celebrate with one (or a few) of these fine Deschutes brews :thumbsup:
Yo!
May thru September would be the best time, you would need to be here at least 4 days to even skim the surface of the riding :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.