Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back when I serviced my fork, I put an o-ring on the stanchion to measure sag. But I didn't notice that the other stanchion also had an o-ring on it - it had been slid all the way up to the crown.

Anyway, I now have an o-ring on both stanchions. I think this looks kind of dorky. But I can't come up with any justification to tear one off. And I can even see some value in it -- ride a feature, reset one o-ring, adjust fork, ride again and see how much less travel was used. Admittedly, this is a very thin sliver of "value".

What do you think? My car has two trip odometers, why not my fork? Should I conform with the aesthetic standard of a single o-ring? In other news, I used to run my front QR skewer backwards, because I thought that must be logical for a left-hander.

(If you think this is one of the dumbest threads you have ever read, you may be right. But what did you expect from the thread title?)

·
Registered
203 Posts
It probably does look dorky if you have both in use so just keep one slid all the way up when you don't need it. It's not hurting anything and you can use it in the comparison scenario you talked about. I've had the o-ring break off before and resorted to a zip tie until the next service. At least now you have a spare in case that happens. I say keep it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Dorky, but with a story that anybody who services their own stuff will understand and empathize. I don't think it would hurt to leave it on. You just get to shrug and establish your DGAF credentials to the judgemental try-hards.

(Not passing judgements on try-hards. Just the judgmental ones. Yes, yes... kettle meet pot. I can hate the haters.)

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,992 Posts
A single O-ring only works in the northern hemisphere. This way, you can bike New Zealand without worrying about whether your O-ring will work.
... or if you just want to use one o-ring, you could dismantle your fork and move the o-ring to the other stanchion before taking the bike to NZ.
Obviously a lot of work but worth the effort, of course.
=sParty

·
I get knocked down...
293 Posts
Having 2 orings will tell you if your landing sideways. Look for the orings to come at rest at different heights. If so, you need a Zeb or fox 49

·
furker
915 Posts
I say add 2 more, so you have 2 on both sides. Spice it up with some red or blue ones. Post pics and tell people it is for protecting the seal when the fork bottoms out. Wait and see how long it takes for people to start copying it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.