Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2007 Revelation Dual Air U_Turn, and recently purchased the Service Kits for Motion Control and Dual Air legs (paid 20 Euro for each):

11.4015.250.000 05-08 Reba/06-09 Recon/06-09 Revelation/05-10 Pike Motion Control Service Kit
11.4015.263.000 05-10 Reba/06-09 Revelation/05-10 Pike Air U-Turn Service Kit

I just measured the O-Rings in the kits and matched the measurements to a valid size in an O-Ring Catalog, and this is the listing of the O-Rings sizes:

Motion Control:
1 x 23.81 x 2.62
1 x 12.29 x 3.53
1 x 25.07 x 2.62
1 x 22 x 2.50

Air U-Turn:
1 x 10 x 3
1 x 25.07 x 2.62
4 x 19 x 3
1 x 6 x 2.50
1 x 12 x 2.50

First number is quantity, second number is inner diameter, and third number is thickness, both in mm.

I have to point out that I measured the brand new O-Rings in the kits, so these sizes are more precise than when somebody takes apart the fork and measures the already worn O-Rings and get wrong sizes.

I already purchased a new set of O-Rings and compared with the ones in the kits, and they match perfectly. You can get them all for less than 3 Euro and save a few bucks.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I don't know where you buy o rings in 23.81x2.62mm... but I can only find then in .5mm increments.
Here's the measurements I got out of my Recon solo air. Ignore solo air side. Motion control should be the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Maybe an engineer can chime in here but there are 2 different o'ring sizing standards, the one Nasa started and the euro one. They can seem similar but they don't really interchange that well, at least not in high pressure pnuematic valves.

However in this application I don't think super exact sizing is all that important and the originals are probably standard buna 70 nitrile.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
Would be great to have a thread on the various o-ring sizes for different forks. I ttried to get the o-rings for my Lyrik and Totem sized by an online o-ring supplier but they said they were odd sizes. They never did get back to me on what the sizes were though.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Ratt said:
Maybe an engineer can chime in here but there are 2 different o'ring sizing standards, the one Nasa started and the euro one. They can seem similar but they don't really interchange that well, at least not in high pressure pnuematic valves.

However in this application I don't think super exact sizing is all that important and the originals are probably standard buna 70 nitrile.
I have no idea about nasa vs euro or other US standard sizes.
But there are two British Standards for O-rings.

BS4518 is metric
BS1806 is imperial.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Which O-rings go at the bottom of the motion control damper? I'm looking to fix the leak causing the lockout to fail.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the picture yet.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I'm looking to change all my o-rings on my '08 Reba because I have a leaking pos.air. Are the o-rings on the Dual Air the same as the Solo Air pictured above? If not, can anybody point to the right sizes please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
dual air reba orings are #211 * 2 pcs+10*3 * 1 pcs

PissedOffCil said:
I'm looking to change all my o-rings on my '08 Reba because I have a leaking pos.air. Are the o-rings on the Dual Air the same as the Solo Air pictured above? If not, can anybody point to the right sizes please?

Thanks.
:thumbsup: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

·
Registered
79 Posts
PissedOffCil said:

Thanks.
I had the same problem but I fixed mine with 5 ml motor oil i used 5w20 should've use thicker oil but thats all i have laying around.

pretty easy... all you have to do is let all the air out.. open up the top chamber with 24mm socket.... it could be 23mm not sure.. dump about 5ml motor oil in it and it should seal it up... if you read the manual the trouble shooting will tell you put put 3-5ml suspension oil in the top chamber to seal leakage......

I used motor oil cause its sticker than suspension oil and it help seal the air better..... for sealing a leak i don't think it should be a probalem but on the oil side i recommend using fork oil because they do have some additives to stop foaming... if you wanna be safe go ahead and use fork oil on the chamber side... they say use 5w.. maybe go thicker on that side if you want to use fork oil.... you can also buy fork oil (suspension oil) at a motor cycle shop cheap.....

some may say don't use motor oil cause its bad for the o ring... I dont think it's bad because engine have gaskets and or o rings in them and they dont have any problem unless they are over 100k .. this place actually recommend motor oil to rebuild the reba forks...

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id48.html

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I can find Spectro Fork Oil 15w easily nearby. A tad thinker than the "official" RS oil.
I was planning on changing the o-rings since I'll also disconnect the spring for the remote lockout and install a manual lockout knob. At that point, it's a matter of extra seconds to change the o-rings while the fork is completely disassembled.

jaysix79 said:
I had the same problem but I fixed mine with 5 ml motor oil i used 5w20 should've use thicker oil but thats all i have laying around.

pretty easy... all you have to do is let all the air out.. open up the top chamber with 24mm socket.... it could be 23mm not sure.. dump about 5ml motor oil in it and it should seal it up... if you read the manual the trouble shooting will tell you put put 3-5ml suspension oil in the top chamber to seal leakage......

I used motor oil cause its sticker than suspension oil and it help seal the air better..... for sealing a leak i don't think it should be a probalem but on the oil side i recommend using fork oil because they do have some additives to stop foaming... if you wanna be safe go ahead and use fork oil on the chamber side... they say use 5w.. maybe go thicker on that side if you want to use fork oil.... you can also buy fork oil (suspension oil) at a motor cycle shop cheap.....

some may say don't use motor oil cause its bad for the o ring... I dont think it's bad because engine have gaskets and or o rings in them and they dont have any problem unless they are over 100k .. this place actually recommend motor oil to rebuild the reba forks...

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id48.html

·
Registered
10,743 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
cool I though you had no plan of opening the whole fork and doing a rebuild.. but in that case your better off doing the whole thing the proper way..... I'm just sharing my quick fix that still hold up till this day which saved me money and trip to LBS or delay form ordering parts.... good luck with your rebuild and ride safe....

PissedOffCil said:
I can find Spectro Fork Oil 15w easily nearby. A tad thinker than the "official" RS oil.
I was planning on changing the o-rings since I'll also disconnect the spring for the remote lockout and install a manual lockout knob. At that point, it's a matter of extra seconds to change the o-rings while the fork is completely disassembled.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
jaysix79 said:
cool I though you had no plan of opening the whole fork and doing a rebuild.. but in that case your better off doing the whole thing the proper way..... I'm just sharing my quick fix that still hold up till this day which saved me money and trip to LBS or delay form ordering parts.... good luck with your rebuild and ride safe....
I still have to order the o-rings so last evening I bought the oil and decided to have a quick look to the upper left leg. It was completely dry. I inserted a rag in and it came out dry. Yep it definitely needed oil so I put some in and it's holding up so I now have the time to order the o-rings and spares I need. It'll hold up until then! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
enjoy riding......

PissedOffCil said:
I still have to order the o-rings so last evening I bought the oil and decided to have a quick look to the upper left leg. It was completely dry. I inserted a rag in and it came out dry. Yep it definitely needed oil so I put some in and it's holding up so I now have the time to order the o-rings and spares I need. It'll hold up until then! :thumbsup:

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
While we're at it, what type (or material) o-rings should I get? Aren't they all black/rubber one ar are some silicone or another "funky" material?

Any improvement in getting a specific type?

1 - 20 of 157 Posts