1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
141 Posts
Im planning to race, but I've never ridden there. What is the course usually like? How technical is it compared to the other courses? Last race I rode was canada cup at hardwood, and that was a little bit of an eye-opener for me concerning my current technical abilities.Not that it was that technical, but the weather, the speed, and the sudden tech sections, combined with the fact that i'd never ridden there before definately brought me out of my comfort zone (i ended up DNF'ing after messing up my knee in a crash)

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
beereppc said:
Im planning to race, but I've never ridden there. What is the course usually like? How technical is it compared to the other courses? Last race I rode was canada cup at hardwood, and that was a little bit of an eye-opener for me concerning my current technical abilities.Not that it was that technical, but the weather, the speed, and the sudden tech sections, combined with the fact that i'd never ridden there before definately brought me out of my comfort zone (i ended up DNF'ing after messing up my knee in a crash)
Boler is typical southern ontario trail imo. similar in difficulty to albion, mansfield, and other locations.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ccaddy said:
Looks like their going to start you boys straight up the tubing
hill this year :eek:
Better get a good warm up in .:thumbsup:
Excellent! - Boler is very compact so trails are very twisty. About time we started to get some serious climbing back into the O-cups - anyone remember Beaver Valley, Blue Mountain, Craigleith now that was serious climbing!

·
I Wanna Be Sedated
764 Posts
I've registered. I'm trying to figure out how to fit a Friday "morning" pre-ride into my schedule. The almost 2-hour drive makes it a bit of pain, but I've never visited the venue and I hate surprises...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hey if you guys want some local insight to Boler and the course ,
check in here at www.londonmtb.com
Ask in local rides and racing to see if you can hook up some of
us on the course and getting out for a pre ride on it .
*Trail fee at Boler is $6 .

-Craig

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wouldn't call Boler "serious climbing". The tubing hill is very steep, but not very long. The course itself isn't too technically challenging (unless it's wet/slick). But, you're either going up short steep climbs, or descending short steep hills, or weaving through very twisty singletrack. Not a lot of opportunities to recover. It'll probably end up being a shorter race than most O-cups for most people, but just as hard because there's no recovery and you're always spiking above lactate threshold on short steep hills.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only if you like running your singlespeed up the climbs. A couple of spots even the experts will be using the small ring. The top of the tubing hill is so steep, you're pretty much wheelie-ing up it because you can't keep your front wheel on the ground. It's pretty much all middle ring stuff, but I use the whole cassette, and occasionally the 22-32 granny comes in handy.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
800-lb-gorilla: Only if you like running your singlespeed up the climbs.

It all depends how good you are. I was there yesterday to get familiar with the course. I found it reasonable for singlespeed - with the exception of that steep hill at the start. My problem was with the wet, muddy course. Yesterday it was quite wet and in some places the mud was very bad. After the first lap I wanted to go home. :)

I did have to walk the second piece of that steep hill, but that is hardly surprising. However, after that I only had to walk one other small climb near the end of the loop, mostly because it comes after some sustained climbing across the ski hill.

I found the climbs well spaced out so that one can recuperate a bit. I also found that the steep climbs are placed where you have good momentum so with some effort (in some case a lot of effort :)) one can stay on the bike. Of course, with traffic and slow spinning geared riders it could get ugly.

Anyway, I found Boler quite challenging. There are many sharp turns, accelerations, quick downs, steep (but short) climbs. A fun course, but not well suited for a large number of riders. Passing will be tough, I think, and the steep climbs will be very hard without momentum to help.

I am still not sure I will do the race.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll be there riding blind!

I am not going to have a chance to pre-ride this year.......I am hoping not too many changes from last year!
Also - I am going to be going in to this with POOCHED Leggies....BIG LONG HILLY RIDE/RUN scheduled for Satruday......and my leggs are already caked from 4 day weekend.......
Should make for and interesting race.......

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I may skip this one. I'd rather drive for 90 minutes round trip and ride for several hours rather than having a several hour round trip for 90 minutes of riding... especially since I haven't heard any particularly good reviews of Boler.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.