Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to Home Depot looking for plastic bolts to replace the steel unused cage bolts i had on my frame.
here is what i came up with:
look in the fasteners aisle in those pull-out drawers, 45cents for a package of 2.
my 4 steel bolts weighed 18g, 4 of these barely weigh 2g

2 nylon bolts didnt even register 1g

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Doubt they will last if you actually use the cage.

Nylon fasteners are fairly brittle. Assuming you actually use the cage, a full water bottle can probably flex the fasteners enough that they won't last long, especially over rough terrain. I've used them in other applications where they were isolated from movement/vibration & they were OK. At least if they do break, it should be easy to drill them out to remove them although you may be left with a piece of plastic rattling around in your frame!

·
Registered
450 Posts
B R H said:
Nylon fasteners are fairly brittle. Assuming you actually use the cage, a full water bottle can probably flex the fasteners enough that they won't last long, especially over rough terrain. I've used them in other applications where they were isolated from movement/vibration & they were OK. At least if they do break, it should be easy to drill them out to remove them although you may be left with a piece of plastic rattling around in your frame!
I use nylon bolts to hold the wings on to some of my R/C planes...not for saving weight, but because they tend to break in the event of a crash, which can spare some of the damage that might occur if the wing stayed attached to the fuselage.

Anyway, getting the broken ones out fairly easy....no need to drillout the entire bolt. Just drill a small hole in the top of the broken piece, then jam a a sharp screwdriver or exacto blade into the hole and then back the bolt out. On a water bottle cage though, I think it's most likely that the head will break off rather then the bolt breaking right at the frame. So, there's likely to be some exposed portion of the bolt that you can simply twist out with a pliers.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jersey said:
i went to Home Depot looking for plastic bolts to replace the steel unused cage bolts i had on my frame.
here is what i came up with:
look in the fasteners aisle in those pull-out drawers, 45cents for a package of 2.
Note, you can get these a lot cheaper online. Here's a pack of 50 10-24's for $3.25, for example....

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/NYLNBB.cfm

They have a few sizes of metric nylon bolts as well...

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/NYLNBP.cfm

The whole selection....

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/NYL.cfm

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
these are just used to plug holes and look decent ... no bottle or cage on my frame
and yes, i saw a couple places online, but i couldnt see putting a $6 charge on my card and pay more in shipping than i would pay for the product. anyway, 90cents aint terrible. i paid for them using ashtray change :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Biekparts.com has Woodman aluminum screws which only weigh 1 gram each and eliminate the constant paranoia of your cage falling off that is associated with nylon screws. Still drops twelve grams off stated steel screw weight of 16g.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.