Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nylon vs aluminum flats shock and vibration transfer

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Pebisnutt 
#1 ·
Is there really a noticeable difference? Been using aluminum pedals forever but my feet are starting to get pretty beat from riding. I ride a hard tail and I'm starting to feel rocky trail days pretty acutely through my soles. I wear Five Ten freeriders if it matters. Would nylon help alleviate some of the vibration?

#4 ·
I rode Egg Beaters for many years, but got tired of not being able to unclip at lower speeds. Went to the LBS and he loaned me some Kona Wah Wah 2 in both Alum and comp. Liked both, but there seemed to be a little less sting with the composite, maybe. I do however ride a full squish bike. The composite pedals also don't show scratches like the alum pedals do and have held up well for lots of miles and still look pretty good and were a little lighter to boot.

#5 ·
I’ve ridden both aluminum and composite pedals and cannot tell a difference with transfer of shock or vibrations. I also ride with 5/10 free rider pros. What you are experiencing is fatigue from repeated hits transferring directly to your feet. The best way to reduce that is full suspension, no pedal in the world can fix the transfer of energy you are experiencing.

#7 ·
The biggest advantage I feel with composites is that they tend to slide better when they hit rocks IMO. Not really going to make a difference in feeling like a hardtail.

#8 ·
I am going to say probably. I do feel a slight flex difference but can't say one is more comfortable. I find comfort starts at the shoe. Maybe you too heavy for freeriders and need a more supportive shoe. Move on to pros or impacts?

What pedals you using? what size shoe? I find big flat pedals to be more comfortable, secure, and transfer more pedal energy to the wheel when using flimsy (compared to Impacts) slipper comfortable Freeriders.

I do agree with above about plastic sliding off rocks much more gracefully than aluminum but ended up cracking them and moved on to the alloy version.

#9 ·
I used to wear impacts, but those things feel like clown shoes to me. Guess that's part of the 'no free lunch' thing. Even though I'm 6 ft tall, my shoe size is only an 8 US. No, the rumors aren't true, I swear, lol. Pedals are VP Vice. Cranks are X01 but there probably isn't anything in that. Frame is a very compliant Ti frame. I will say I have super-high 30 degree metatarsal arches, which definitely doesn't help. Wear of nylon vs aluminum isn't really an issue for me, as an Arizona rider pedals are consumables and generally get beat to crap anyway.

#14 ·
Maybe bigger platforms,...
I agree with dysfunction and others here...

I'd say try using a larger pedal with more area to spread the load out over more of your foot.

Maybe try standing on a different part of your foot or shift your weighting??

Also are your flats actually flat? Maybe try one of those concave type. Or vis a versa.

Are your 5.10s as stiff as they should be? Floppy soles=foot fatigue
What part of your foot hurts? Are you feeing the pins or axle through the sole?
New high quality insoles can feel amazing and can also cost 1/3 of a new shoe!

For a while I was sessioning a set of jumps, and other than scrubbing on my knee a lil, it was my feet that ended up being my weak link. (for the record, was riding 130mm/ht, with pre-addias 5.10 Impacts)
I also noticed I was leaking some youth and age was getting in.

#13 ·
Is it possible your feet are getting sore from the soft and flexible soles on the shoes you are running? I use OneUp Composites with 5/10 Freeriders and on long rides, my feet will also get sore. I have wondered if maybe the Freerider Pro's stiffer soles would help with this.

#15 ·
I feel like your money would be more effectively spent on other parts of your bike unless your current pedals are in really bad shape and you're overcompensating for a lack of foot grip.

Tire inserts can have a pretty noticeable effect on vibration dampening and shock dissapation. Or if you have the room in your frame, wider tires will also smooth the trail. Both of those can reduce discomfort at your points of contact, and will cost similarly to a quality set of pedals.

I'd also echo comments above about checking out your shoes and insoles. Just feel like these ideas all get at the core of your problem more noticeably for a similar amount of money, unless you specifically need new pedals right now.

Or if you really want to throw money at the problem, certain $2000+ carbon wheelsets or berd spokes are said to greatly increase compliance and acceleration but I feel like if you had that money you wouldn't be asking for advice on the mtbr forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.