Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there -
I need a framebuilder to do a very simple repair job on a steel frame that I have.

I'm having trouble finding local frame shops.

Would someone suggest some builders?

thanks!
-rob in Brooklyn

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Hey Rob,

Don't know of any specific frame builders in the city but two weeks ago a guy took out a space a few doors down from the corner of grand and broadway. I stuck my head in on the day he was moving in.
He had fabricated a bunch of bike frames, mainly crazy choppers with serious seven foot wheel base and then some.
I will be walking past on Thursday and can get info for you if you like. He was a super friendly guy and the bikes were just a hobby from what ever it is he does. Furniture I think.
Otherwise it's IRO. Don't think NYCbikes actually makes stuff on sight.
Simon aka gumby

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
rpet said:
Hi there -
I need a framebuilder to do a very simple repair job on a steel frame that I have.

thanks!
-rob in Brooklyn
Try Chelsea bikes on "156 West 26th St between 6th and 7th Ave" 212-727-7278. Just pulled that from a spreadsheet I happened to have out. Are we talking lugs or dinged TIG welding? Maybe contact the builder too? The owner, I forget his name, said he had the works in the backroom.

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips Simon and Tame Ape...

Actually it's not a welding tasking; I need a seat tube reamed out.

Any others? I can't believe there are so few framebuilders here. :(

-r

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the Chelsea bikes place listed above apparently does in-house painting, according to their site. I haven't phoned them yet.
http://www.chelseabicycles.net/

I'm not sure if you're interested in a full paint job... if you just want to touch it up, I suggest sanding the surface rust off with steel wool and then using clear nail polish or some black auto touch-up paint. I did the nail polish thing on my Bakka for some cable rub. Then again... that frame has really thick tubing, so some surface rust isn't going to kill the frame anytime in the next decade.

The rear-end of the Bakka is that weird eggplant-ish color, right? You will probably have a hard time matching that exactly on the cheap.

-r

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
rpet said:
blahdy-blah

-r
I've seen an attachment that would go on a drill or a dremel that looks like a rotorary scrub brush with some sort of coating. A hone? Something like that. You might be oversetimating the level of involvement needed. Most frames come without all the facing/reaming done and the LBS usually has to take care of it. Err, try the guys at NYC VELO(212) 253-7771 on 2nd ave betwn 4th and 3rd streets in the E.Village.

·
Slowpoke
234 Posts
Vicious Cycles is a framebuilder upstate in New Paltz, I know it's not NYC but they do repairs.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
rpet said:
Thanks for the tips Simon and Tame Ape...

Actually it's not a welding tasking; I need a seat tube reamed out.

Any others? I can't believe there are so few framebuilders here. :(

-r
All you need is a bike shop with a Flex-Hone, any good shop should have one and know how to use it. You're in Brooklyn, have you called Sheepshead Cycles? In Manhattan try Sids or Bicycle Habitat.

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need the seatpost to go from 26.2 to 26.8 - I thought that was more than a hone could do (hence the reamer).

I'll be making more phone calls on Monday to some of the options suggested above. I got bogged down with work last week... oh well, I'm off to sping through the LI mud now.

thx
-r

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
rpet said:
I need the seatpost to go from 26.2 to 26.8 - I thought that was more than a hone could do (hence the reamer).

I'll be making more phone calls on Monday to some of the options suggested above. I got bogged down with work last week... oh well, I'm off to sping through the LI mud now.

thx
-r
That's a pretty good sized jump, didn't realize you were looking for something like that. Not an expert but I don't know if that can be done.

On Long Island, there's one framebuilder I know of(and I'm not sure he builds anymore) Frank Peckham, you can reach him through the CLIMB website, he's the contact for Bethpage State Park. He may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

·
from the east
280 Posts
Hey there

rpet said:
Hi there -

thanks!
-rob in Brooklyn
Hey Rob, I think I may have your answer... Try Brooklyn Machine Works. (www.brooklynmachineworks.com)

They are right in Willyburg and have a very serious shop.

They also make the absolute sickest bikes there ever were.

eric.

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Eric - I actually already emailed BMW! They got back to me quickly (overnight), but said they didn't have the size reamer tool necessary. Yeah, I'd much rather have been emailing them about custom frame order, but alas I don't have a spare $6K.

So, I called Chelsea Bicycles and will be bringing my ride to them on Saturday to see what they say...

Isn't sitting inside thinking about bikes much more fun than riding? :(

-r

·
from the east
280 Posts
oi vey

Can't trust anybody these days to have the right reamer....

Chealsea bikes is probably not a bad way to go - I don't know anything about their frame repairs except for the big sign on their awning that says "We do all frame repairs" or something like that - but I've been there and talked to one of the guys, and he was very down-to-earth and competent (as opposed to so many city bike shop guys.)

good luck.

Eric.

·
Humanoid Lobster
672 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking to have a couple of rack braze-ons tacked onto a steel frame. Does anyone know of anyone local who does this? (Brooklyn best, Manhattan OK)

This is on my street bike (Jamis single speed - Reynolds tubing), I'm just after nice clean brazing from someone who knows what they're up to with a torch and does not have a 3 month waiting list. Doesn't have to be Richard Sachs. (Richard if you're passing through town and have brazing gear with you feel free to PM me. I'll buy you a beer for some torch time.)

Might also be up for a custom stem if the price and quality are good.

Anyone had anything like this stuff done? (Info above looks stale ...?) I can Google as well as the next potato, I'd like to hear from anyone with personal experience with a local builder to share. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts