Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's with NX Eagle taking over the world? Every bike I see in the 3-4K range has NX Eagle, including the 2019 Giant Trance Advanced 2 (my 2017 had GX 11 speed), Intense Anything Foundation builds etc.

I'm sorry, but If I spend over 3K on a bike, I want GX Eagle or even Shimano SLX/XT 11 speed. Sram is too expensive to upgrade out of the box. You can't even upgrade to the GX Eagle cassette without buying a XD Driver or getting a new wheel...Bikes are getting more expensive and downward spec'd. Maybe finding a good, affordable frame and building up is the way to go. Oh, and there is no inflation.

Just a rant.....don't like the choices in the range I'm willing to spend.

Gman

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
I'm sure that SRAM's marketing over the amount of RANGE! has something to do with that. A bunch of riders think they need it. Most will never use all of it, and they can optimize the ratios they actually use on a narrower range cassette with the right chainring selection.

Part of the issue is that a strong rider will want a bigger chainring than a weaker or a less intense rider. So it's harder for a bike manufacturer to equip a bike setup with one "kit" and make it work for a wider range of riders.

Like you, I've skipped Eagle entirely. Don't want it. I'm not going back to long cage derailleurs. When Shimano decided to make a medium cage option for the xtr m9100 with a 10-45 cassette, I knew that was for me. For a new bike, I see the writing on the wall that the microspline freehub body will eventually be on all of Shimano's cassettes from SLX to XTR, so I figured I'd get in now and reduce hassle later. I have an 11-46 on my other bike and that range works well for me. Just have to choose the right size chainring to pair with it.

My most recent "new" bike was built on a used frame.

One thing that's kinda funny is that the last bike my wife bought had a GX 11spd drivetrain. Santa Cruz/Juliana made a mid-year component change at most a month after her purchase to equip the bike with GX Eagle. I'm honestly glad that hers has the GX 11spd, though I'm not exactly excited by the prospect of chasing down 11spd cassettes for her for all time, so eventually something will have to change. Might have to go e13 or other aftermarket companies for 11spd cassettes for her. She's far less picky about what she rides, but I do the bulk of the actual maintenance and repair. So I'd still have to deal with Eagle issues if I put that on her bike. But because of the freehub issue, changing to something other than the SRAM universe would be a real pain.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Definitely agree with you on the higher price, lower spec comment. Lotta NX on bikes that it literally makes little sense.

What I did was bought a 2017 frame brand new and built it up.

I have roughly 3000 into my bike and got Niner Rip 9 frame, DVO shock n fork, RF Carbon cranks w/Atlas pedals, Deity bars, Oneup dropper, Wheels self built (wtb asym rims, Rotor hubs), and went X01 (11sp components converted to 12 via e.13 kit...tho did spring for the xx1 eagle gold chain).

I look at some of the specs being put out there and laugh at the idea of spending 3000+ and the dumping 600+ into Eagle (let alone the freehub cost which could push it to 1000+ depending on if yiu can get freehib body or need new hub and relace or new wheel).

Craziness

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
To whom? I'm pretty sure the manufacturer's marketing departments are pretty good at spec'ing bikes so as to maximize sales and profit over their product line. They know their market far better than anybody else.
Well, makes little sense to me. If it does to you, then good for you.
If im spending 3k+ on a bike, I have to say NX (which whole group is like $300) would not be my expectation. Would expect GX. But again, thats me...and apparently OP and 1st replying person as well.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I likely wouldn't buy a bike with NX unless I knew I was replacing the wheels right away.

I'm guessing it is a way for manufacturers to save money. Keep the bike prices similar to last year, but lower the quality. It works everywhere else.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
I'm guessing it is a way for manufacturers to save money. Keep the bike prices similar to last year, but lower the quality. It works everywhere else.
It happens OFTEN.

Consumers are demanding a whole lot more carbon full suspension bikes these days. Carbon frames are more expensive, so to make a carbon bike at a specific price point, they've gotta make up the difference somewhere. For the manufacturers that offer such a thing (fewer and fewer, it seems), the metal version of the frame with the same components costs notably less. But CARBON.

On the drivetrain side, though, SRAM's marketing of the range of Eagle has also been quite successful. You see what it's done to Shimano. Shimano resisted wide range 1x. But consumers were SOLD on it (even with SRAM's wildly expensive heavily machined cassettes). In order to make halfway affordable 1x for the masses, though, SRAM had to cut corners. Hence NX. Now Shimano is playing catch-up and you don't see quite as many models equipped with Shimano.

The bike I just built up is a steel hardtail. I dunno exactly how much I spent on everything, since the cost was spread out across about 8mo, but I figure 5k is vaguely close. Maybe more.

GG Pedalhead frame, MRP Ribbon fork, XTR M9100 drivetrain, I9 Hydra hubs on DT alu rims. It's a top notch build (with a high proportion of US manufactured stuff), but without carbon. I like that it's a top notch build without being overly flashy about it. I saved some money here and there, but also paid full retail for some other items. But the simple fact that the frame cost me $750 instead of $2k gave me some room to work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Giant Trance Advanced 29er Pro.......$4500 Msrp........NX Eagle. I would buy this bike to have a lightweight capable trail bike. What is lightweight about NX Eagle?

Jumping the shark in the bike industry

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
Giant Trance Advanced 29er Pro.......$4500 Msrp........NX Eagle. I would buy this bike to have a lightweight capable trail bike. What is lightweight about NX Eagle?

Jumping the shark in the bike industry
absolutely have to have a carbon frame and carbon rims! and a shitty drivetrain

reminds me why I build my own bikes

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree, mtb industry has jumped on NX Eagle and are passing it off as a high end drivetrain on expensive bikes. But it is a drivetrain you are stuck with if u get it.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
But it is a drivetrain you are stuck with if u get it.
Not completely. But the hassle of changing freehub bodies acts as a deterrent to a drivetrain upgrade, or brand switch. Especially if the OEM wheels can't swap freehub bodies. Most can, but some have poor parts availability.

·
Hi There!
1,666 Posts
Not completely. But the hassle of changing freehub bodies acts as a deterrent to a drivetrain upgrade, or brand switch. Especially if the OEM wheels can't swap freehub bodies. Most can, but some have poor parts availability.
Don't know much about SRAM so I'm confused. I heard that the NX Eagle uses a Shimano type hub, so IF that is true, wouldn't it be easier to change the different drivetrain parts?

I have one bike with XT and one with NX Eagle, both have been good so far but I would like to eventually go XT or better on the bike with NX Eagle.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't know much about SRAM so I'm confused. I heard that the NX Eagle uses a Shimano type hub, so IF that is true, wouldn't it be easier to change the different drivetrain parts?

I have one bike with XT and one with NX Eagle, both have been good so far but I would like to eventually go XT or better on the bike with NX Eagle.

Thanks for any help.
Yes, NX does use same freehub.

However, if your bike uses SRAM brakes n you want matchmaker compatibility, you need to stay in their product line. Everything above NX (GX, X01, XX1) all require the XD driver freehub for the cassette compatibility. This is also true if you want to use e.13 snd some other cassette manufacturers as well. Changing out freehub bodies CAN be done on some wheels, but not all (in which case, youre talking a new rear wheel as part of any upgrade budget for SRAM stuff).

Really all depends on what you want to use. I've had both Shimano and SRAM on my bikes in the past, and my current X01 is by far the best shifting and most reliable I've had.

In the end, it's really a matter of preference.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What's with NX Eagle taking over the world?
Because 50T big cogs and 1x drivetrains are a must these days. Customers are either clueless and/or disregard obvious flaws of 1x. Moreover - bike designers went full-slacker and bikes now can't even have a front mech.

Moreover - SRAM managed to drill into people's heads that $500 for a wear part ( cassette ) is OK. So now the same SRAM is now charging $100 for a dumb stack of pressed cogs that chinese manufacturers churn out for $20.

So - add 45 and 65 togather, add the extra cost of adding the abject failure known as XD driver ( which requires a whole slew of better quality hubs for all those bikes ) and speccing a bike with a higher group that still has the 50T cog will raise the end price of the bike by a couple hundread dollars.

Shimano is still completely infertile in this market, thus SRAM is charging whatever it wants and a whole microcosm of smaller manufacturers ( Microshift, Box, Suntour ) are popping all over the place.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
First time in 25 years and countless bike purchases that I bought a frame only and am building it. The whole “**** magnet strapped to today’s bikes and ridden through a SRAM factory” thing was largely responsible for that. And it’s not just NX. The Level brakes are horrible too. I had them on a bike I recently purchased for less than 24 hours. Gone.

I agree 100% with the OP.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Because 50T big cogs and 1x drivetrains are a must these days. Customers are either clueless and/or disregard obvious flaws of 1x. Moreover - bike designers went full-slacker and bikes now can't even have a front mech.

Moreover - SRAM managed to drill into people's heads that $500 for a wear part ( cassette ) is OK. So now the same SRAM is now charging $100 for a dumb stack of pressed cogs that chinese manufacturers churn out for $20.

So - add 45 and 65 togather, add the extra cost of adding the abject failure known as XD driver ( which requires a whole slew of better quality hubs for all those bikes ) and speccing a bike with a higher group that still has the 50T cog will raise the end price of the bike by a couple hundread dollars.

Shimano is still completely infertile in this market, thus SRAM is charging whatever it wants and a whole microcosm of smaller manufacturers ( Microshift, Box, Suntour ) are popping all over the place.
First time in 25 years and countless bike purchases that I bought a frame only and am building it. The whole "**** magnet strapped to today's bikes and ridden through a SRAM factory" thing was largely responsible for that. And it's not just NX. The Level brakes are horrible too. I had them on a bike I recently purchased for less than 24 hours. Gone.

I agree 100% with the OP.
Agree on all counts. NX Eagle belongs on Walmart bikes, not $3-4k trail bikes. It's a joke.

None of my bikes have a single Sram product on them and never will. I'd much rather have Shimano XT 10 or 11 speed than Eagle anything. Zero interest in owning that drivetrain, and don't even get me started on the brakes, or forcing new standards into the market.

I'm sticking with Shimano and Fox thank you very much.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
Agree on all counts. NX Eagle belongs on Walmart bikes, not $3-4k trail bikes. It's a joke.

None of my bikes have a single Sram product on them and never will. I'd much rather have Shimano XT 10 or 11 speed than Eagle anything. Zero interest in owning that drivetrain, and don't even get me started on the brakes, or forcing new standards into the market.

I'm sticking with Shimano and Fox thank you very much.
This is precisely where I have landed as well.
Shimano XT cassettes are going to be on the micro spline freehub body in probably a couple years, I'd bet. Might be worth keeping in mind. It was a consideration of mine when I was building up my Pedalhead this spring.

My Bucksaw has a Shimano HG freehub body and will be keeping Sunrace 11-46 cassettes for the foreseeable future. Those work well, IMO, even though they're a little on the heavy side. Maybe after xt or slx goes to microspline, I'll consider a new freehub body for that bike, but that assumes that Hope will one day make one compatible with the Pro II EVO hubs.

I kinda dread dealing with my wife's bike because it has SRAM GX 11spd right now. It works great as it is, but I refuse to put Eagle on it. It also has SRAM Guide brakes on it, and a Reverb post. So far those work fine, but they're on notice that if they start acting up and if maintenance becomes too much of a pita, they're gone, too.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.