Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right then. i am gonna maybe bring a couple bikes to an upcoming 24 event, in case one breaks or i need a switch or whathaveyou. one is not currently set up as a SS but i am gonna convert that rascal and thus have not one but TWO pink steel bikes to choose from on the day. :) the thing is, it does have nice long horiz dropouts. can i just use a really strong ass QR on the rear wheel i am running in there clamped wicked ass tight? or, should i use a nutted axle wheel ( happen to have one from the tandem . . . . . . . ). truth be told i do not even really know what those tugnut jobbies are, but i see dudes use them. as i think about the issue from a layman's perspective i guess i am wondering - if the QR is sufficient for a road bike how come it may not be for my converted SS ?? thanx !!

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
mon t said:
right then. i am gonna maybe bring a couple bikes to an upcoming 24 event, in case one breaks or i need a switch or whathaveyou. one is not currently set up as a SS but i am gonna convert that rascal and thus have not one but TWO pink steel bikes to choose from on the day. :) the thing is, it does have nice long horiz dropouts. can i just use a really strong ass QR on the rear wheel i am running in there clamped wicked ass tight? or, should i use a nutted axle wheel ( happen to have one from the tandem . . . . . . . ). truth be told i do not even really know what those tugnut jobbies are, but i see dudes use them. as i think about the issue from a layman's perspective i guess i am wondering - if the QR is sufficient for a road bike how come it may not be for my converted SS ?? thanx !!
Im not sure the spacing will be the same from the tandem wheel, if so, use the nutted axle for sure. The QR can work but I've never been able to see that magic happen without a chain tug. I use Atomlab tugs on both sides with a standard QR and have no slippage issues at all.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
thank you

if the QR is sufficient for a road bike how come it may not be for my converted SS ?? thanx !![/QUOTE]

I've been hammering that exact point here for years. Good thinking if you realized that on your own; astute careful reading if you vaguely remembered somebody (me probably) making that point.

Back when all road bikes had horizontal dropouts, all quick release skewers had steel end pieces, and all hubs used serrated steel locknuts.

Then the boutique parts craze hit, and today most every q/r skewer you can find has wimpy aluminum end pieces, and a lot of fancy lightweight hubs save a few grams by using aluminum locknut faces.

Aluminum slips. Steel holds.

I have,let's see, 4 fixed gear bikes here and 3 SS bikes. They all are using either old threaded road hubs originally intended for freewheels; or old scavanged shitmano freehubs, also with steel locknut faces. On the threaded hubs. I moved the R side spacers to the L side and dished the rim accordingly. On the freehubs, I'm using old Uniglide twist tooth cogs and spacers to perfect the chain lines.

All those old hub have serrated steel locknuts.
All of the aforementioned bikes are using quick release skewers, nice strong old ones: Old Campy, old SunTour, old Shimano XT, etc etc.

I have literally never pulled a wheel cockeyed on any of those bikes, and some of them see some serious thick-legged uphill stomping, and I'm a big boy with legs so big people comment on them when I ride.

There ya go.

·
Registered
478 Posts
bulC said:
I have literally never pulled a wheel cockeyed on any of those bikes, and some of them see some serious thick-legged uphill stomping, and I'm a big boy with legs so big people comment on them when I ride.
Give them to me, I'll pull them cockeyed! (Of course, I can do it to the bolts/nutted ones too)

But the silly thing is, no one mentions my legs when I ride. ;)

dsd..''

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanx. that does indeed make some manner of sense. as it happens, i am old. old and married, so that means all my bike parts are also old - as in, i have had them since BEFORE i was married a long time ago, if you catch my drift. but, bonus for me! i will check these old parts for the serrated and knulred steel bits which you describe. i am going to wager they are on there- campy QR's (nuovo) i know i have several of, and the hubs themselves date well back in time also.

speaking of old, i am also fat and out of shape. so - one might deduce that even if the steel campy QR clamped wicked ass tight to a serrated steel hub washer gripping the long steel dropout of my pink rivendell WAS able to be pulled askew, it will likely not be by me. a test could be in order !! watch for the old bald fat guy pushing a heavy pink bike up a hill at the next WORS race and say " dumbass, you shoulda used the nutted axle", as you speed by. :) thanx agin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts