Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to pulling the trigger on a 09 DW 5-Spot, already have wife's OK (which is not trivial), local distributor has a frame waiting, I've even caught DT for pre-build verifications, and the logic of moving from my 08 RFX to the new 5Spot definitely makes very logical sense - I can keep the Talas36, continue to have great descending, get better climbing, better keep up with faster friends, lower BB, no need for propedal, all in a time when the next gen RFX seems a little too much bike, and I can still sell my RFX at a good cost (with the 2010 RFX still far away).

The only tiny little point is that I really Really REALLY like my 08 TNT RFX. So much better than my previous 5Spot.
Now this is rather strange to me. I have never had second thoughts on moving forward, and enthusiastically jumped from the 05 5Spot to the RFX since I wanted something a more confidence inspiring and capable on technical terrain that I could still enjoy as a trailbike.
But my RFX is just downright enjoyable. Built light, it is a fantastic ride as my one-bike that enables me to enjoy anything from aerobic rides to technical descents. Not perfect in any means, but head and shoulders above anything I've tried so far as a fit to my needs.

So the closer I come to making the switch, the closer I am to calling it quits.
Am I nuts? Anyone else there been in a similar state? Anyone move from a light RFX to a DW Spot - glad you switched?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Why "move forward" if you are so happy?. Turner will be there at 2010 and later.
I've already made my mind to get a DW Turner as my next ride but my 575 is still treating me well so I'm not in a hurry. Meanwhile technology evolves and DT have time to resolve all the creaking issues that were just raised by DW owners.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
The new Turners are seductive. If you want to go for it, jump. You probably are nuts, but so far I see no law against being nuts. :D

Otherwise, save for that new rfx in 2010, a ride that should send the peeps into orbit as they try to swing getting one. Or do something whacky and add a 29er to the stable or a single speed so you too can always be in the wrong gear or upgrade the roadie or give unicycing a chance. The bike geek way has many options. :thumbsup:

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
tald said:
I am close to pulling the trigger on a 09 DW 5-Spot, already have wife's OK (which is not trivial), local distributor has a frame waiting, I've even caught DT for pre-build verifications, and the logic of moving from my 08 RFX to the new 5Spot definitely makes very logical sense - I can keep the Talas36, continue to have great descending, get better climbing, better keep up with faster friends, lower BB, no need for propedal, all in a time when the next gen RFX seems a little too much bike, and I can still sell my RFX at a good cost (with the 2010 RFX still far away).

The only tiny little point is that I really Really REALLY like my 08 TNT RFX. So much better than my previous 5Spot.
Now this is rather strange to me. I have never had second thoughts on moving forward, and enthusiastically jumped from the 05 5Spot to the RFX since I wanted something a more confidence inspiring and capable on technical terrain that I could still enjoy as a trailbike.
But my RFX is just downright enjoyable. Built light, it is a fantastic ride as my one-bike that enables me to enjoy anything from aerobic rides to technical descents. Not perfect in any means, but head and shoulders above anything I've tried so far as a fit to my needs.

So the closer I come to making the switch, the closer I am to calling it quits.
Am I nuts? Anyone else there been in a similar state? Anyone move from a light RFX to a DW Spot - glad you switched?
I was in the exact same place with my 08 RFX. I loved it, built it light at 30# and it was my go to trail bike for everything I pedaled.
Because the DW RFX was almost a year out (I bought my DW Spot in November 08) I decided to give the new Spot a try.
Wow. All I can say is I have never looked back.
The 08 RFX was a great bike, but the Spot blows it away.
I took my build off the RFX (trailbike build w/ 36 Talas) ended up with a bike that weighed the same, but performed better in every situation.
The Spot pedals, corners and descends better IMO. The frame is super stiff and works really well with a stout fork like the 36.
The quality of travel is superb, and I can't say I have noticed that the Spot has less of it than the RFX when out on the trail.
I couldn't be happier with the switch and highly recommend you go for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
interesting comments 1sr - my riding and ability to clear technical terrain improved significantly when I went from 06 Spot to 08 RFX but when I demoed the 09 Spot I cleaned stuff I couldn't on the 06. I was also carrying more speed. I am now wondering if I improved as a rider and if it's me and my increased confidence or the bike. I didn't once find myself wanting the 08 RFX whilst on the 09 Spot but the question for me is the 08 RFX versus the 09 Spot a wash for the trails I ride and so not worth the extra coin.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
yehudanachum said:
Given what we ride around here, the Spot is a real do all trail bike for Israel.
Israel is small but the variety of trails is huge.
I am sure that the spot is great but I find that for some of the trails I ride,my bike is to small and the RFX may be a better weapon

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thanks for all the opinions.
Anyway, I called it off for the moment & staying with my RFX.
I'll hold my breath and wait to see the DW RFX.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Crazy, not nuts

This topic has me thinking, what bike do you need. "want" is an emotion!

So, if you are riding a 'light' RFX now, maybe you don't need an RFX. With roughly 70% of each ride being uphill, a similar bike that climbs better will be more fun km in and km up.
The new RFX will be effectively lower and slacker HA than your current RFX. This is because the bikes in this class are changing, NOT because I want to replace the Highline, but that does not mean YOUR riding style or the terrain you are riding is changing. A 36 on the front of a 5 Spot is an awesome combo. I have ridden a Lyric UTurn on the Spot a few times and will now space a Float 36 to the A-C length that I found worked best for climbs and descents. I want a 30lb 5 Spot and right now the bike is under weight at 29 so this is a good way to get more mass and steering precision in Laguna ruts.

An example: A rider I have known a very long time wanted a new bike this past winter. He was on an old Turner XC with 2.1 tires, V brakes, narrow bars well under the seat height and bone rattling 3" suspension. Well, being the great guy I am I suggested a 5 Spot with 140mm of plush travel front and rear and nice wide 26" bars that were level with the seat. A regular 21st century trail bike! After all, he had not put a race # on in a decade. He hated it. The brakes were so 'strong' (XTR!) that the suspension moved too much when he applied the brakes. The BB was so tall that he had trouble re mounting after a stall in the rough and it felt dangerous on single track if he had to dab, the slack head angle wandered on the steep climbs etc etc etc The only thing positive was that the dw-link did climb better than his 3" horst link bike. So, as I write his parts are being swapped to a Flux, his fork is being spaced down to a 120mm and his bars will be nipped off a bit to get him closer, not identical, but closer to what he is used to. Too often the collective we think that a new bike must either be lighter and lighter or more and more travel with subsequent upgrades, but the reality is that most of us are NOT going bigger year in and year out and a new bike of similar parameters but newer features would be the best choice.

DT

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
turnerbikes said:
This topic has me thinking, what bike do you need. "want" is an emotion!

So, if you are riding a 'light' RFX now, maybe you don't need an RFX. With roughly 70% of each ride being uphill, a similar bike that climbs better will be more fun km in and km up.
The new RFX will be effectively lower and slacker HA than your current RFX. This is because the bikes in this class are changing, NOT because I want to replace the Highline, but that does not mean YOUR riding style or the terrain you are riding is changing. A 36 on the front of a 5 Spot is an awesome combo. I have ridden a Lyric UTurn on the Spot a few times and will now space a Float 36 to the A-C length that I found worked best for climbs and descents. I want a 30lb 5 Spot and right now the bike is under weight at 29 so this is a good way to get more mass and steering precision in Laguna ruts.

An example: A rider I have known a very long time wanted a new bike this past winter. He was on an old Turner XC with 2.1 tires, V brakes, narrow bars well under the seat height and bone rattling 3" suspension. Well, being the great guy I am I suggested a 5 Spot with 140mm of plush travel front and rear and nice wide 26" bars that were level with the seat. A regular 21st century trail bike! After all, he had not put a race # on in a decade. He hated it. The brakes were so 'strong' (XTR!) that the suspension moved too much when he applied the brakes. The BB was so tall that he had trouble re mounting after a stall in the rough and it felt dangerous on single track if he had to dab, the slack head angle wandered on the steep climbs etc etc etc The only thing positive was that the dw-link did climb better than his 3" horst link bike. So, as I write his parts are being swapped to a Flux, his fork is being spaced down to a 120mm and his bars will be nipped off a bit to get him closer, not identical, but closer to what he is used to. Too often the collective we think that a new bike must either be lighter and lighter or more and more travel with subsequent upgrades, but the reality is that most of us are NOT going bigger year in and year out and a new bike of similar parameters but newer features would be the best choice.

DT
This is crazy reasonable feedback. Instead of telling us what we want, you are helping us adaptively figure out what we need? My brain hurts ... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
When I bought my '07 RFX, fork was the deciding factor. I knew I wanted to run an adjustable travel 160mm through-axle fork, and at that time the 'spot was not approved for that, so the RFX was a no-brainer.

Now that the spot is certified to be ridden hard with such a fork, I'd lean that way. I'd actually rather have the lower BB than the extra travel. Additionally, the mini-link bikes I've ridden actually feel like they have more travel in back, since they ride higher.

The '10 RFX will come out before I'm shopping again. I kind of expect to want a spot for my next bike though. Plus that would give me more reasons to keep my highline!

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
FM said:
I'm plenty happy with my fun bolts :)
Yeah, and I also like my DT Swiss thru-thingy. I just wish we didn't have to use antiquated road bike dropouts on mountain bikes anymore.

Whatever bike I choose to replace the SuMo with will likely have a thru-axle rear...I'm just hoping the Spot can make the list (public plea to Mr. Turner) :thumbsup: .

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
If the Large DWspot had the TT of the XL, I'd be all over it. :(

_MK

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Changes

Geo, if the 5 Spot reqd a thru axle we would hear cries around the world. So, I hear ya, I have a Swiss thing in the mean time and there will be no structural changes for 2010 on the 5 Spot, no geometry, no tubing, no head tube length seems to be working perfectly for most people.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.