Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm turning thirty this year and I have finally come to terms with the fact that I can no longer eat what I want and stay slim. I've been trying to read up on nutrition on the internet and am having troubles distinguishing good nutritional rules for me. I know my goals, I want to be a better XC mountain biker and I want to lose weight. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. I've been using fitday.com to watch my calorific intake and the breakdown of fats/carbs/proteins (34%/28%/39% based on cals). In this program they say that I burn 3271 cals per day (for me to sustain life plus my lifestyle). I have been counting my calories with this program and I eat about 2000 cals each day. The 3271 doesn't take into account the calories that I burn when I am on the trainer. Say I burn an additional 1000 cals to make it 4271 cals a day from the trainer am I going to hurt my overall goals of becoming a better biker and lose weight? I've heard people mention that your body is not stupid and will decrease your BMR if you try to live on too few calories.

My second question. For people like me who want to become a better athlete and lose weight is there a basic formula for daily intake ie. %carbs/%protein/%fats, that I should stick to?

Thank you,

Zeroman

·
Registered
936 Posts
You should check out Dr. Dan Benardot's book titled Advanced Sports Nutrition. His focus is on improving your body composition without sacrificing performance. The key is to maintain a within-day-energy balance. I also use www.sportsnutritionclinic.com and I prefer it over FitDay...it has several more features..though it is not free.

·
Registered
12,026 Posts
Overall, I would suggest a large calorie deficet is not so good or 1 lb a week weight loss is pretty high.

I struggle with the carb/protein /fat ratio as well, if a lack carbs I can get a real gnowing hunger.

So balance is key for me. I find that if I can stay with a steadier diet, my body feels and trains better.

Over the 15 months I have steadily lost 15 lbs at a 1 a month, an had no real issues to deal with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.