Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good web sites to read up on nutrition. More specifically what to eat before a ride or a race and what to eat after.

Thanks,

Gripshift

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
this one's better post-ride

Gripshift said:
What are some good web sites to read up on nutrition. More specifically what to eat before a ride or a race and what to eat after.

Thanks,

Gripshift
www.newbelgium.com
got all the important food groups: malty, bitter, fruity, and analgesic. Liquid bread to the monks. Happy happy joy joy to you. All good, I'd especially recommend the trippel and the "1554."

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personaly from experience with nutrition, I would suggest this:

1. Hydrate!!

2. Before a ride if it is going to be a long ride eat something with lots of complexe carbs. not the sugary carbs because they don't last long. the bread and oat (Grains) carbs will help you get through the longhaul. although it won't kick in for a while.

3. Simple carbs are carbs that give you the quick energy. THey are mainly the sugary carbs from candy bars and all that. anything with some sugar rally.

4. Protien will also help in the longrun yet not as effective as the complex carbs.

One of the best tasting and probably best for you since its natural type of energy bar would be the clif bar. Personally I love this bar. Other than that just find the foods around your house and eat them. like some cereal preferable no-sweetened with milk would give you the complex carbs and the protien (from the milk). Mabye find some cerealy that has atrade of with the complex and simpl carbs.

Well im no profession for nutrition but this is just some knowledge from my collective mind. Hope i helped

Bstguitarist
:D

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Quite a good site for reading is http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/

Basically, you need a meal consisting of complex carbohydrate and protein pre ride 1-3 hrs before hand. The shorter and faster the ride the further away from the start you should eat.

I'll normally have something like 4 weetabix with milk and a protein shake which is easily digested.

Post ride you need fluid and complex carbohydrate immediately after the ride. A 500ml bottle of energy drink is good or I use Maximuscle recovermax http://store.maximuscle.co.uk/epage...10f70021ed98273fac1001b10642+EN/products/END1 (Look at the bottom of the page for the nutriline.org link telling you what's in it)

The first two hours after a ride are the best time for your body to recover. I find it difficult to eat solid food after the end of a hard ride so I tend to concentrate on eating several bowls of cereal, plus some meal replacement drinks and a protein shake or two.

The aim is plenty of complex carbohydrate and protein to provide your body with all the nutrients you need. I also have a multivitamin plus antioxidants to hopefully speed recovery further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.