Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fat On A Bike
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

On December 9th I am to ride my first MTB 100 mile race (2,200 meters of total climb).

On previous long distance rides I have discovered that something I off with my nutrition. Usually I would take food in (Gel, fruit, etc.) when my GPS would estimate I have lost ~300 calories (yes, I know, idiotic). After hour 3 on the bike I would start to feel as I did not eat enough. And from there it would be a non-stop fight against completely bonking.

Since then I have tried to ride long distances with either Electrolyte tablets in my water or even an isotonic drink and to eat every 30 minutes regardless of what the GPS reads.

You need to understand that I am afraid of over eating. In the past 2 years I have lost more then 70kg (from 157 to 86 kg in a year and a month) dieting and riding. So you can understand where the ‘scratch in the head’ comes from.

I am 38 years old. 86kg.

I would be interested learning what strategies other people are taking with their nutrition and with which products (Gels, fluids, etc.), supplements (BCAA pills?), or just real food.

Many thanks!
Ofir

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would suggest getting a solid breakfast about 2.5-3 hrs before start. Probably around 350 cals. consisting of about 80% carbs, 15% fat, 5% protein. If you can't eat that early find a good 'energy' bar or stinger waffles, etc. and consume about 20 oz water with electrolyte added for breakfast no later than an hour before start. I would then warmup a little before race start and top yourself off with a gel and a few sips of fluid. Then I would look at consuming 50-60g of carbs per hour on the bike. I would not eat foods with protein or fat in with them. It takes extra energy to digest these and your body can use the intramuscular fat thats already there. I have used drinks with protein in the past and myself find no benefit with protein, however it does sort of make me fill really 'full' so I no longer use supplements with protein on the bike, only before and after. I would definitely not switch products this close to a race if you've been using them for a while. Also try and shoot for maybe 150-250 mg sodium per hour, depending on your sweat level. Highly trained people on average lose about 800-900 mg Sodium per hour but most have big reserves anyway from their day to day diet.

These statements are my experience and what works for me. Remember that all people will be slightly different. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

·
Fat On A Bike
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest getting a solid breakfast about 2.5-3 hrs before start. Probably around 350 cals. consisting of about 80% carbs, 15% fat, 5% protein. If you can't eat that early find a good 'energy' bar or stinger waffles, etc. and consume about 20 oz water with electrolyte added for breakfast no later than an hour before start. I would then warmup a little before race start and top yourself off with a gel and a few sips of fluid. Then I would look at consuming 50-60g of carbs per hour on the bike. I would not eat foods with protein or fat in with them. It takes extra energy to digest these and your body can use the intramuscular fat thats already there. I have used drinks with protein in the past and myself find no benefit with protein, however it does sort of make me fill really 'full' so I no longer use supplements with protein on the bike, only before and after. I would definitely not switch products this close to a race if you've been using them for a while. Also try and shoot for maybe 150-250 mg sodium per hour, depending on your sweat level. Highly trained people on average lose about 800-900 mg Sodium per hour but most have big reserves anyway from their day to day diet.

These statements are my experience and what works for me. Remember that all people will be slightly different. Maybe this will give you some ideas.
fastassduc,

Thank you for your reply.

I also thought that I am missing a bit of carbs per hour. 2 gels (or other stuff with similar food value) would give me about 40 - 42 g of carbs where I though I may need to have anohter gel to get to around 60g per hour of carbs.

With regards to Sodium the electrolyte tablets should take care of it. Depending on the supplement (GU Electrolyte Brew, Hammer Fizz, etc.) I would get 200mg/320mg/or even 420mg per 0.5 litter of water. I would dring about 0.75 litter per hour so I believe I am covered there as well.

The opinion with regards to protein and fat is familier to me. I am trying to work with it as well.

Quick question - do you use gels or regular food to fuel?

Ofir

·
Registered
40 Posts
During races I only use gel and drinks to get my nutrition. Some people are different but it works for me. I try to find the most tolerable flavor, typically a mix of vanilla and or plain, however I will throw in a flavored pack once in a while.Training rides are similar with some stinger waffles or bonk breakers if its a really long training ride, greater than 5 hours. Fast paced 'racing' I just try to get the most simple foods that are easy to get down and digest.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I highly recomend infinit nutrition mix. They can put all this into one mix and all you have to worry about is drinking the mix.

Anytime you feel hungry on the bike, this is your first clue you are approaching the bonk and you need to eat soon. I carry a cliff bar just in case I get behind and this will usually fix it in a short time.

I consume around 300 calaries an hour. I set a timer on my watch that beeps every 30 minutes telling me to drink my mix.

·
Fat On A Bike
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I highly recomend infinit nutrition mix. They can put all this into one mix and all you have to worry about is drinking the mix.

Anytime you feel hungry on the bike, this is your first clue you are approaching the bonk and you need to eat soon. I carry a cliff bar just in case I get behind and this will usually fix it in a short time.

I consume around 300 calaries an hour. I set a timer on my watch that beeps every 30 minutes telling me to drink my mix.
crimecrusher,

How do you carry your mix?
Also, do you put protein inside?

Ofir

·
Registered
467 Posts
crimecrusher,

How do you carry your mix?
Also, do you put protein inside?

Ofir
I carry my mix already mixed in a water bottle. I usually ride lap events and will carry enough mixed in a bottle for 1.5 hours concentrated. I'll drink 1/3 a bottle then drink about 5-10 oz of water.

Protein comes already mixed inside. I switch to a "light" mix after 4-5 hours that has less protein inside and has caffiene added.

·
Fat On A Bike
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I carry my mix already mixed in a water bottle. I usually ride lap events and will carry enough mixed in a bottle for 1.5 hours concentrated. I'll drink 1/3 a bottle then drink about 5-10 oz of water.

Protein comes already mixed inside. I switch to a "light" mix after 4-5 hours that has less protein inside and has caffiene added.
On the race there is a single point in which I can re-supply. At the 85KM marker.
half way. So would you recommend adding the stuff to my water, or using it separately?

Ofir

·
Registered
467 Posts
On the race there is a single point in which I can re-supply. At the 85KM marker.
half way. So would you recommend adding the stuff to my water, or using it separately?

Ofir
I've never done an event like what you are talking about. Mine have all been laps in the 8-12 mile range.

You need to carry seperate water in addition to an infinit mix. You can consentrate your infinit mix to carry as many doses as you think you will need before re-supply. For example: You may have 4 doses in a bottle and drink 1/4 the bottle and then drink enough water to make up the differance.

I need to drink at least 20-30 oz of water each hour in addition to my infinit mix depending on weather...on hotter days over 90+ my water intake goes up to over 30 oz an hour.

If you only drank your mix and not supplement with water...you'll have problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.