Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in the racing forum, but was told I would be better off posting it here.
I am doing my first adventure race in May. It is an 8-12 hour race. What should I take for food? Should I just use gels, powerbars, or what? Give me some tips as far as nutrition for the race and hydration. Thanks for the help. Anything else that I should plan on to keep going this long?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Find out the race support logisitics. I am doing my first also ... the high Cascades 100. They have support stations every 20~25 miles or so. The race is sponsored by Hammer Nutrition, and the Hammer site has a lot of good information about how to fuel. Basically, in training I intend to try out their Perpetuem drink (carb and protein) and figure out what my hourly requirements are. I have also read that some people don't take liquid diets very well, so I will be figuring out if I do or not. If not ... then its the ol' standbys of gels, PBJ, bannanas, gatoraid, and water :)

·
Tá mé ar meisce.
682 Posts
Most of the adventure races I do, have no support stations. The transition areas might have some water but that is it.

I usually carry cliff type bars, uncrustables and swedish fish in my pack for the shorter races (under 12 hrs). I find the carbo gels don't really help me all that much. Usually you have some kind of support for the longer races, so things are a little different.

·
Your Best Friend
5,653 Posts
I've done a 12 hour adventure race for 3 years now and I've found that typical endurance foods work. Cliff/Power bars, gels, light snacks and good drinks. You won't need anything else. Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
For an adventure race that short pack a couple of things you like to eat for the trek/run and paddle. Salty snack are usually good maybe a crustless PBJ roll, cliff blocks, etc.

I would get most of my nutrition from gels. I really like EFS gel. At 400 cal per flask it should be easy to moniter your intake. You get your electrolytes and cal from one easy to carry and easy to ingest package. being more of a liguid than a gel it goes down easy and is delicious. You might need a gel flaks holder for your pack and/or bi;ke and you should be good to go.

I have discovered that I really like coconut water. I freeze a couple and drop them in the pack at the last minute then when I get a second at a CP I gulp it down and for some reason just really taste good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.