Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a dilemma. Doing a 24 hr race in a few weeks. Been doing this race for years now. I'm looking for a really good drink that I could put in my Camelbak that not only keeps me hydrated but just keeps me going. Normally after 1 lap (13-15 miles) I'm ready to crap out. Feel pretty banged up. Usually I'd put a couple of scoops of Gatorade powermix in my pack & mix w/water but after doing some research it appears there are some great "remedies" out there that really work. If anyone has any "race proven" drinks that you think can help me from bonking out I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, I don't race, but I've tried drinking Accelerade on extended rides. I feel like it made the difference between bonking and not bonking. On really long rides, I always bring something to eat, though.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nutrition drink

Thanks for the feedback. I've been using Endurox after my rides/workouts and have noticed a difference in recovery. I've seen the Accelorade, never thought much about it. So you mix it in while you ride eh? I'll give it a shot, whats the worse that could happen right? Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah I take accelerade also. It's got protein, which is good, but I like to take electrolyte powder too, just to replace everything i sweat out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
skibum1 said:
Thanks for the feedback. I've been using Endurox after my rides/workouts and have noticed a difference in recovery. I've seen the Accelorade, never thought much about it. So you mix it in while you ride eh? I'll give it a shot, whats the worse that could happen right? Thanks.
I only mix it at 1/2 to 3/4 of the recommended strength. I've found that mixed full strength upsets my stomach a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I go with water and powerbar powergel. Its not "food" and it is super easy to carry, it tastes great (some flavors anyways) has electolytes and carbs, what more do you want? Also pretty cheap too, anywhere from 99 cents to 1.25 a pouch

If you are looking from only liquids, the Accelorade is pretty good but sometimes gives me heart burn

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
the combo that works for me is 2 gels/lap (assuming a 10-15 mi lap) + diluted gatorade (1/4 gatorade - 3/4 water) in the hydration pack + a bottle of diluted endurox (1 scoop/12 oz bottle) every 3rd lap + any additional food i can get into me (pb&j sandwich, turkey sandwich, banana, clif bar...whatever looks appealing and i can get down).

this recipe has worked for me in numerous 6 hr races and several 8-9 hr endurance events.

rt

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
No racer but I've been drinking H2O and a Gatoraide type drink all day on the days I know I'll ride. Half hour prior to riding I drink Cytomax and I've begun to use power type gels both prior or during rides, along with various comfort/trail foods (I like fried chicken, jerky, beer + a Powerbar if needed). After ride I have another Cytomax prior to slamming beers. The only reason I reply is that my feeling is you find something that works for you and stick with it. Like the jerky, fried chicken I've also brought cheese (not good on hot days), fried catfish, PB&J's, J's, PBR's etc. All this because on loong rides I like REAL food to go along with the regular "power" foods that most cyclists like. Many of my friends thought I was crazy the first few times showing up with this stuff but after getting a taste mid-ride many of them carry their own now. Obviously not for everyone. Again, figure out what works for you and stay with it.

·
ss poser
406 Posts
i did the coup (44 miles) on gel, a banana & cytomax & felt great. i have a hard time getting down real food, so this worked for me. no bonking. oh, i did have a red bull around mile 25 or so.

good luck finding something that works for you.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
a gatorade mix, plus choc milk, or those cheesy yogurt breakfast drink things work well for me on long rides. i far prefer the "endurance formula" gatorade stuff if buying by the bottle. if doing powder, i like to mix it about 2/3 strength, but add a little more salt. say an extra 2 tsp. per 100 oz. bladder.

disclaimer: i just like that stuff for long rides. not a racer by any means.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I'll say thanks for the advice too....

I'm going out for my first 50+ mile ride this week (likely end up being a metric century or 100 km ride) and I've never really had to look at things like that. My 20-30 mile rides have told me that for bigger stuff, plain water won't do, so I've geared up to do things right.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd suggest investing in a hammer flask and hammer gel in the bigger jugs... it's pretty cost effective that way. For electrolytes, I use elete (eletewater.com, I think) in my 70oz camelbak, and then for carbs, about 2 servings of gel /hr. I'm pretty little, though (120#, 5'4") but that amt. of gel and water have me set for awhile unless it's really hot or I'm really hammering.

For the meal portion, have something light- a sandwich with spinach for the lettuce (if you can stand it, it's got a good amt of iron and calcium in it) light meat, whole wheat bread for complex carbs, etc... banana for potassium.

During recovery, I'd go with chocolate milk for the carb/protein ratio, but be careful, as milk anything in heat might make you hurl.

Good luck, man!
:thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,821 Posts
skibum1 said:
Got a dilemma. Doing a 24 hr race in a few weeks. Been doing this race for years now. I'm looking for a really good drink that I could put in my Camelbak that not only keeps me hydrated but just keeps me going. Normally after 1 lap (13-15 miles) I'm ready to crap out. Feel pretty banged up. Usually I'd put a couple of scoops of Gatorade powermix in my pack & mix w/water but after doing some research it appears there are some great "remedies" out there that really work. If anyone has any "race proven" drinks that you think can help me from bonking out I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.
Gatorade to help replenish electrolytes (but downing a few banannas for extra potassium will also help), and food to replace glucose. If you aren't downing enough solid carbs, your body is going to eventually give up on liquid sugar, which is what you are trying to go with. Eat every 45 minutes to an hour, if you don't, your glucose levels will plummet.

An enegy/nutrition drink is a good idea, but it shouldn't be your only source of nutrition, and the benefits of eating should not be underestimated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.