Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A two mile section of the Tioga segment of the North Umpqua Trail will be closed beginning July 1. This is the doubletrack portion from Bob Creek to Susan Creek. They will be removing a landslide, replacing culverts and building a new bridge. This is scheduled to be completed by Sept. 1. In related news, a new trailhead for the NUT could be appearing next year at Susan Creek with the construction of a foot bridge. As I understand, the funding has been approved.

http://www.blm.gov/or/rac/files/SusanCkRecImp.pdf

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Too bad to hear the trail wil be closed temporarily, but it's great to hear about the new improvements. Tioga is a long, hard section, especially at the end of the day, so breaking it up into 2 sections will be great, even if it means more hikers mid trail.

We rode the NUT last weekend, and I ended up skipping the Tioga on day 2. With 17 miles of tough singletrack under my belt (we started at marsters TH), and close to 30 miles the previous day, I wasn't willing to struggle thru 16 miles with no bail out options. The Susan creek trailhead would have been a great option.:D

It's amazing to see all the hard wok that is put into maintaining the NUT. it looks like they drove a small trail tractor thru the entire calf section, grading dozens of mini landslides away, and restoring the eroding bench. For such a rugged trail, so many sections are super smooth and well built! Thanks to all the trail work volunteers!!!.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since they're doing all the prep work, I guess we can safely assume that Douglas County has agreed to sell the property for the bridge to the BLM. :thumbsup: They need every penny. :D
Just from the safety aspect its a big improvement. I'm looking forward to seeing the return of the Fox segment.

On Saturday I did an out & backs from Calf Creek on Calf, Marsters, and part of Jessie Wright. Its amazing how much improved Calf looks from even last year and then to consider how bad of shape it was in after the fire its really impressive. The Motley Crew Trail volunteers do a great job.

Did you guys ride all of Dread & Terror? I assume its been cleared, but then there really wasn't much down. Not like the year they had 1100+ trees down.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
mwpeterson said:
Did you guys ride all of Dread & Terror? I assume its been cleared, but then there really wasn't much down. Not like the year they had 1100+ trees down.
The local Forest Service office told us that Dread n Terror was not passable due to a washout 2.5-3 miles from the lower end. We rode up trail from the top of Deer Leap with the intentions of turning around at the washout, but ended up being able to pass thru in knee deep water. We continued up trail to the junction with the access to rd. 710, and turned around there to head down to Eagle Rock campground via singletrack.

We talked to 2 riders who shuttled from the top of Dread n Terror and they confirmed that it was clear. I think they also rode Lemolo and said it was clear, but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that means its time for me to hit Maidu. ;)

Its too bad the West Cascades Scenic Byway extension got killed. That would've made access a little easier for you guys and Middle Fork easier for us. Although a trail from Timpanogas to Kelsay Valley would be nearly as good.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,675 Posts
mwpeterson said:
I guess that means its time for me to hit Maidu. ;)

Its too bad the West Cascades Scenic Byway extension got killed. That would've made access a little easier for you guys and Middle Fork easier for us. Although a trail from Timpanogas to Kelsay Valley would be nearly as good.
Oh man would that ever be sweet!

--Sparty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.