Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Interesting differential ratchet mechanism, the patent shows 4 sets to get the 2.44:1 ratio (each set gets a maximum of ~1.25:1).

If you roll backwards, the gearing reverses, and the pedals will turn faster (ie at top gear the pedals will turn 4.35 time faster than the wheel rolling backwards). It would be very neat to try out, but I'm not sure about the #1K price tag....

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
545 Posts
No advantage over a Rohloff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
datako said:
No advantage over a Rohloff.
Greater number of gear ratios: As much as you want.

Besides, I personally think that this system can evolve much more than a Rohloff, perhaps in future it will be lighter. But I agree with you that nowadays the rohloff is better.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
..ooohhh, that looks very interesting.

Imagine something like that incorporated into the frame instead of the rear hub.

Could be the next big thing.. :)

R.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Rainman said:
..ooohhh, that looks very interesting.

Imagine something like that incorporated into the frame instead of the rear hub.

Could be the next big thing.. :).
Indeed, the g-box standard is designed to allow exactly such internals to be adopted. Theoretically any rear transmission hub can have its internals mounted in a G-box, unless they are simply to large.

I do see one advantage over the Rhollof. The Rhollof is least effcient in its lowest gears, and most effcient in the mid-high gears. The Nupace hub is most effcient in its lowest gear, and proggessively less effcient in highr ones. To me, that suggests the Nupace is more suited to trail riding, and the Rholoff more suited for road riding / downhill racing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Narrow range, though -- approximately 300%. That's about equivalent to a single ring setup using an 11-34 cassette.
A "mountain drive" or "speed drive" front crank would fix that, albiet at a pretty high cost, and would probably add yet more weight. Still, it would be pretty sweet...

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
It would be good to see some new innovation in drivetrains and systems.

I wish Rholoff had a better distro setup and were more widely available. Maybe that would spur quicker development in this type of geared drive systems.

I really dislike deraileurs, i'm always banging mine against rocks.

R.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Rainman said:
It would be good to see some new innovation in drivetrains and systems.

I wish Rholoff had a better distro setup and were more widely available. Maybe that would spur quicker development in this type of geared drive systems.

I really dislike deraileurs, i'm always banging mine against rocks.
Rholoff is avaialble through QPB, which makes them ubiquitously available. They have to be special ordered, but almost any bike shop could get them.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Rainman said:
It seems your wish in the in process of being granted.

They sold their first Speedhub in 1997 or early '98. From there, it took them until 2003 to produce 20,000 units (according to the history on their website). That's an average of 4,000 units per year.

I don't recall when they reached the 30,000 mark, but they've since moved into a new facility (previously they were assemling these in a small shop in Mr. Rohloff's backyard) hit 40,000 this past winter and, if I understood their local rep correctly, are already nearing 50,000.

Unfortunately, exchange rates are crap and prices aren't going to drop, but nevertheless their guy in Berkeley can't keep any inventory on his shelves, so there is definitely no lack of demand just yet.

·
Registered
536 Posts
New Trans

Parker Hanifin (SP?) ,that is holding an engineering contest to college students to see who can build a trans for a bicycle using hydraulics. Now this seems to be an interesting proposition, if they can get the correct ratio reduction. Most hydraulic systems use a high fluid velocity, and a high pressure head, lets see what the kids come up with.

http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5041

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Fungazi said:
Indeed, the g-box standard is designed to allow exactly such internals to be adopted. Theoretically any rear transmission hub can have its internals mounted in a G-box, unless they are simply to large.
I spoke of this hub to Nicolai when i discovered it, and he told me he gonna try one, but no news back.

·
Just Ride!
1,283 Posts
Rainman said:
The hub body does appear to have about the same O.D. as a typical EBB shell. I think they would be onto something if they were to be able to incorporate a BB spindle and bearings into a shell housing that size. Just make all of the internals as a cartridge fit, so the shell could be welded in a jig just as an EBB shell, then slide the cartridge in from the right side and secure with left handed lock ring. Too cool........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.