Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I combat this? Is it a bike-fit issue? Nothing about the bike seems like it isn't ergonomic other than I get numb when I don't stand up for a few minutes.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,825 Posts
How do I combat this? Is it a bike-fit issue? Nothing about the bike seems like it isn't ergonomic other than I get numb when I don't stand up for a few minutes.
Post a pic of your current setup.

It could be a positioning thing, but most likely you would benefit from finding a better saddle for your anatomy.

I've had good luck with SQ Labs. I've turned a few friends on to them as well. Great saddles. Check out the 611. https://sqlab-usa.com/collections/saddles/saddles-mtb

I also like the SDG Bel-air.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah, that's definitely not good, need to get this sorted ASAP. Fro previous threads, I remember you're a big/heavier guy, so you're going to definitely want to find a saddle that fits you well, as in is wide enough to properly support your sit bones and has the right shape.

For me that saddle is the WTB Pure (used to be PureV), have been using them now on all my bikes for the last about 10 years and anyone I've loaned a bike to or let test one of my bikes has always liked them, a good place to start IMHO. If you're going to give them a try, get the lower end version without any stitching/pattern on the top, the lower end ones have a softer foam which most prefer - I have a high end version a friend swapped me because he hopped on my bike with the lower end Comp version and liked better.

WTB actually have a demo program that stores can sign up for where you can try out various models before you buy, would check in your area and see if maybe any shops have this. I've found when setting up WTB saddles that it's very important to make sure the sit bone area of the saddle is level, which in a lot of cases leaves the nose looking like it's pointing up some, don't worry about that. Also if you're on an FS, don't forget that the rear usually sags more than the front, so may need to set the saddle slightly nose down when you're off so it goes level when you sit and weight it.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
There are a lot of great saddles out there now with pressure relief cutouts.
I have had good luck with WTB and SQ Lab saddles.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Once you get it adjusted for proper leg positioning, and it's not tilted too far one way or the other... that only leaves a new saddle that fits better.

I'm 220lbs, and I can wear out a saddle shell in a year of regular riding, so that it becomes too flexy and sags too much creating pressure. SQ Lab is my new favorite saddle.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,129 Posts
My advice-get to your local reputable Specialized dealer and ask to be fitted for a saddle. If the dealer has gone through the Specialized fit program, they'll measure your sit bones. From there its all about finding the saddle that suits you via trial and error. The fit will at least confirm if you have the recommended saddle width.

·
High Plains Luddite
182 Posts
My advice-get to your local reputable Specialized dealer and ask to be fitted for a saddle. If the dealer has gone through the Specialized fit program, they'll measure your sit bones.
That worked for me. Took 30 seconds to take the test at the Specialized dealer and now I know my size (143, I think - I have it written down at home).

Funny/annoying story - I bought a black Specialized Riva saddle from them, brand new, for about thirty bucks. I liked it (still do!) but when I went back to get another for my other bike, they told me they were discontinued.

The nearest comparable saddle is now priced well over $100! I refuse to pay that much for a saddle, but at least I know my size now so I can shop elsewhere when necessary.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
Hey Numb Nuts! (sorry, I just had to)

As others have said, if you have not had the bike fitted to you, do so now. Seat height and tilt angle could very well be the cause of your issue. Once that's done, if you don't feel an improvement, it's probably time to start looking at new seats. Opposite of what you might think a heavily padded seat is probably NOT your best option.

Good luck getting it sorted out, so guys like me don't make disparaging comments to respond.

Reactions: 779334

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Good points about adjustment.

I get discomfort, but no numbness, if the nose is tilted too high. Too low and of course we feel like we'll slide off.
I've only had 1 seat in 4 bikes that haven't worked for me. The bad one was one with no relief channel.

As mentioned above, small changes go a long way. Make a few small changes and see how it goes.

Keep in mind, padded seats can make the issue worse -you can sink down and the padded material is pushed up against the body causing pressure.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My mountain bikes have total asshatchets but I spend so much time in shred mode, I don't even notice. So I advise going downhill more.

On a more specific note, if your actual groin is numb, you probably have a medical issue and not a fit problem. Your groin should not be touching the saddle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.