Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ouch! I just did first 20 min TT of the year to determine starting FTP and looks like I am down 10% form last years first test. The good news is that I am coming into base training 8 lbs lighter than last year at this time.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
!

santa_cruzer said:
Ouch! I just did first 20 min TT of the year to determine starting FTP and looks like I am down 10% form last years first test. The good news is that I am coming into base training 8 lbs lighter than last year at this time.
Don't feel bad my friend. I'm down 17% and I'm 7 lbs heavier! I'd say you are doing pretty good!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Man, nothing seems to hurt worst than those 20 minute tests this time of the year! About 10 minutes in I want to give up!! (especially when you’re not averaging your perceived target).

From this time last year, my 20 min is up 18%.

My 5 min is up nearly 10%.

My weight is up 2 pounds from this time last year. I’m starting base 2 this week. I’m about 4% down from last season’s personal best, which is not a bad place to start.

Aiming for that Cat 3 road upgrade this year. Them guys are fast.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Numbers Lie often.

There are so many factors that can skew a time in a test like that. The biggest one for me is temperature. I often do 20 min TT early in the sping on a 70 degree day and struggle to replicate that performace all summer. I feel like a slight improvement in time when it is 95 out is actually a signifigant improvement becuase I would have gone much faster if it was 70 with nice moist spring air. Maybe you are using a trainer and this is not a problem the way you are doing it, but for my outdoor TT's conditions are everything.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Join the club

Odd that your FTP was down that much with the weight loss. Mine is down a bit - but likely due to weight gain and SOME degradation in raw output - but not too bad for this time of year.

On a related topic, I found my vo2max is WHACK right now!

I can do those 20 min. TT's no problem.
I can do 8-15 min. intervals no problem.

Then, I can do wicked 1 and 2 minute sprint type efforts no problem. It's those pesky 3-4 minute efforts that are killing me sometimes! Weird. Last time I did a sort of 'descending interval' workout (suggested by a good bud) it killed me.

It's like this:
(warm up)

Then, 4 of these sets:

5 minutes - 3w / kg
1 minute rest
4 minutes - 3.5w / kg
1 minute rest
3 minutes - 4w / kg
1 minute rest
2 minutes - 4.5w / kg
1 minute rest
1 minute - 5w / kg

Last time I tried it I wasn't in great shape to be attempting it, and cracked 1/2 way through the 3rd set. I gravely underestimated how much work this workout would demand. Granted, I had a heavy day at the gym the day before, and the day before THAT I spent a morning skinning up / boarding down ou local ski basin (10k - 12k feet). Plus 2 hard days of the previous 3 had me suitably tenderized after a debaucherus holidays at sea level....

Whine, whine, whine!

Anyhow - it's a good workout I intend to try next week when I'm a little fresher. Then in a few weeks, all those watts per kg #'s go UP.

The long and the short is that we're all gettin' older Rob - but smarter. You know what to do, and how to train & race, so with some focus and work, you'll come out swingin'. I am jealous of your weight loss. How the heck did you do that - especially this time of year?

:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just did my first 20 minute of the season. Up about 8% from last year at this time and down about 10% from peak last year. Need to to a little bit of work there.
1 minute interval is up 20% from this time last year, and 10% from peak last year. Very happy to start the season here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.