Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Merendon Junkie
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got myself a selle smp extra based on recommendations of lots of people to relieve pressure on the taint. I am having mixed feelings with the seat. I went on a 40 km ride that has some short steep and technical climbs, the seat felt so good I didnt even feel it, totally forgot about it. It was definitely the most comfortable ride I have had. But there’s another ride I frequently do that is basically a long, continuous, non technical climb. You basically climb 800 meters in 8 kms (10% avg grade). The seat feels great at first but about 2/3 of the way up my junk starts getting numb. The weird part is that yesterday, some sections of my taint remained somewhat numb several hours after the ride was over. That had never happened to me with any other saddle, even those that were uncomfortable right from the start and numbed my junk faster.

Does anybody here have experience with this saddle that could give me some tips. Do you think I should give up on the saddle and try something else?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You and the saddle might not be compatible. Did you try the seat angle, that can make a big difference.

Very important is to stand up every 5 minutes or so during those long climbs, that helped me a lot with numbness.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I always stand periodically whether I need to or not just to keep the blood flowing.

Finding that perfect saddle can be a pain in the ass " pun intended " .
Took me a bunch of saddles to finally realize I like flat and firm better especially for longer rides.....go figure. :)

·
since 4/10/2009
31,519 Posts
other people's saddle recommendations for you are worth less than the TP you wipe your a$$ with. demo yourself some saddles and find one that works FOR YOU.

·
Merendon Junkie
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics or it didn't happen.
ehhh, uhhmmm.... Nah.

Thanks for your replys. Like nate said, I understand than saddle choice is a very personal thing, I have a wtb pure v that works really well and a rarely get a numbing issue, but I continue my search for the holy grail, maybe I should just settle for the wtb. I did angle it down upon instalation and some more after the first ride with numbness, it felt much better the second ride but it ultimatelly happened at the end.
With regads to standing up, I totally agree, the weird thing is that my stuff was doing great, I decided to stand up and some 10 minutos after sitting again, the numbness ocurred. Also, the problem always seems to creep up when I am pushing really hard and about to die on climbs. If I am just strolling up the climb and taking it easy, I have no issues.

Cheers

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
I agree with the standing comments.
I ride road to stay fit and ride trail to enjoy life but in the winter I have to use my rollers and my road bike. I can do multiple hour rides outside on my road bike and have no numbness in junk symptoms, (granted, I ride the MUT's and rarely find myself in long stretches where I don't move around a bit). Twenty minutes on the rollers where I am in one position with almost no variation and I dread getting off the bike due to the "tingles" of everything getting blood again. I started doing no more than ten minutes at a time and breaking to hit my bowflex just to avoid it. If there was a saddle that would solve the problem I would get it but that is a lot of expensive trial and error to find it.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The follow comments are on the assumption that the saddle fits you properly.....

I have an SMP on my road bike, and the smallest tilt adjustment can make all the difference in comfort. I was having serious issues before I got that saddle... took some fiddling with, but I love it.

Having said that, I'll find myself getting some numbness on long climbs because I've rotated my pelvis forward too much while climbing. I have to concentrate on sitting more upright in the pelvis, and bend more at the waist/low back... at least that's my perspective of what I'm doing... if that makes any sense. I find myself needing to do this on the mtb a lot too, but it does help.

Another thing that may help, is reducing your reach a little, to help you sit a bit more upright.

And has been stated, I'll stand up every so often, and even more if I'm having issues that day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts