Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody in MTBRland have experience with these? Gonna build an all mountain wheelset using mavic 819s with the NPs or Hope Pro 2. Liking what I see with the NPs but not much info online from actual users of them so not sure I want to get them over the Hopes.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
stick with the hopes. they're bulletproof and reasonably priced. parts are widely available. with hubs it's nice to stick with brands that have a long term reputation. not saying the nuke proofs aren't good, but the lack of info and reviews are enough to keep me away.

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
Nukeproof make some great stuff and I have yet to hear a bad word about the hubs, they have a bit higher engagement than hopes and are a bit cheaper. On the other hand, hope hubs are tried and true, easily convertible and serviceable, and come in a larger assortment of colors (if that sort of thing matters to you...).

·
Registered
319 Posts
have been riding a rear hub for a year now with no issues. Got a Hope up front but did Nuke Proof back cos I hate the sound of Hope freehub. It's personal, so that's the answer in case you want a solid rear hub with same weight, less money but without the sound of Hope. There was a review http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Nukeproof-Generator-AM-wheel-review-2009.html scroll down to read about the hubs. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I have a bad review of the NP. I have had it for about 1/2 year and have had many problems with the freehub. When you start to apply preassure to the crank, it often makes a loud click and feels like it skipped a few teeth in the freehub. I have changed my freehub body and the pawls, but after a few months of riding, I have the same problem again. But I cant seem to find out what the problem might be, I have opened the freehub and it looks perfectly fine. Any ideas on how to fix it? Anyone?

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
lol, I'd be pissed if I bought one of those and found out I couldn't plug my light into it!
:lol: I tuned into the thread thinking I'd find someone's take on another way to power your night rides...

·
Underskilled
4,495 Posts
AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE, WORK PIECES OF CRAP I HAVE EVER USED!!!

Hope pro 2 one of the best, never used hubs as bad as nukeproof.

I blew 3 hubs in a few weeks.

The disty in the UK is a cock as well.

Hope are amazing, I have never used something as crap as a Nukeproof hub.
All marketing, no skill is product design or manufacturing.

PM me if you want more details, or just make the choice and go Hope.

Summing up:
3 DH rated hub blown in weeks riding regular XC.
rude disty, wants to charge for warranty parts.
Disty lies
disty blames customer for breaking product
overpriced crap sold by bastards.

think that covers it =-)

·
Underskilled
4,495 Posts
I forgot to add, after month of arguing with the importer I finally got a refund (partial) as long as I commited to never buy another one of their products.

Easiest thing to agree to ever!

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
And this is to encourage everyone about another UK company just how? :D

FWIW I just got a new Hope front hub, so as to make 20mm/9mm switches easily enough for a front wheel for the fleet, and must say the quality of this thing is much less than expected after all the fanboi reviews here. It'll work, but it's not on the level of a King or DT hub.

·
Underskilled
4,495 Posts
juan pablo said:
^^^^^^So you recommend their hubs then?
depends on whether i like the person or not

·
Underskilled
4,495 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
And this is to encourage everyone about another UK company just how? :D

FWIW I just got a new Hope front hub, so as to make 20mm/9mm switches easily enough for a front wheel for the fleet, and must say the quality of this thing is much less than expected after all the fanboi reviews here. It'll work, but it's not on the level of a King or DT hub.
It's a hub, it is light, it rolls fast, it is waterproof, backed up with great customer service, what else are you looking for?
I have a chris king rear, hope front, i prefer the design of the hope (apart from their 150mm mm which has weird flange spacing, hence the CK).

Nuke are not an English company like Hope or Halo.
They are an importer of Chinese crap under a new name. Like superstar components but without the quality or the cheap prices.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
CaveGiant said:
It's a hub, it is light, it rolls fast, it is waterproof, backed up with great customer service, what else are you looking for?
I have a chris king rear, hope front, i prefer the design of the hope (apart from their 150mm mm which has weird flange spacing, hence the CK).

Nuke are not an English company like Hope or Halo.
They are an importer of Chinese crap under a new name. Like superstar components but without the quality or the cheap prices.
Didn't mean that Nukeproof was UK company, sorry.

I just expected better quality from the comments I'd read before. No service instructions in the box nor on their website wasn't a good first impression. Not crazy about the loose fitting 20mm end caps and spring clips to hold them in, and what's up with the floating sleeve thing that sits between the bearings?

This thing is waterproof? Don't see how that can be...

·
Underskilled
4,495 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Didn't mean that Nukeproof was UK company, sorry.

I just expected better quality from the comments I'd read before. No service instructions in the box nor on their website wasn't a good first impression. Not crazy about the loose fitting 20mm end caps and spring clips to hold them in, and what's up with the floating sleeve thing that sits between the bearings?

This thing is waterproof? Don't see how that can be...
From feedback from my friends that use them (alot) they never fail even in caustic english weather.

·
Underskilled
4,495 Posts
p.s. You may have notcied I am a bit of a Hope fanboy.

Apart from their floating rotors, they suck for how i ride =-(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts