Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a rider weight/fork PSI table for the 'kid tuned' Markhor on the Cub Scout 26 Race? My 10 year old is around 70lbs and even with the fork set to 50PSI he's not using all the travel and I don't think I can go any lower before the fork struggles to extend all the way.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Does anyone have a rider weight/fork PSI table for the 'kid tuned' Markhor on the Cub Scout 26 Race? My 10 year old is around 70lbs and even with the fork set to 50PSI he's not using all the travel and I don't think I can go any lower before the fork struggles to extend all the way.
No experience with that fork, but do you know if that tune is using the lightest negative spring available for the Markhor? If not, that would seem to be the solution.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No experience with that fork, but do you know if that tune is using the lightest negative spring available for the Markhor? If not, that would seem to be the solution.
The details of Nukeproof's "kids specific tune" don't appear to be readily available. I'll contact Manitou as someone else suggested, they were very helpful when I stripped a Markhor 26" to service it and the damper came out in pieces. I sent them a pic of all the bits and they sent it back having labelled each piece in the order it needed to be reassembled!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Try and get one of their nicer airsprings like the Expert if they support it. They have dual chamber air springs and will work better. I just spent a bunch of time with that TS Airspring on a rental bike and its not great, tho it should be better than what you are experiencing.

Dougal at Shockcraft is a guy on here and is an expert in Manitou stuff. nice guy, super helpful

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got this from a tech at Manitou:

"There was a youth-specific setup sticker after this fork was specd. I've attached that in line here..

A couple of things to note that I've observed personally due to my involvement with NICA. Many of the middle school student athletes I see are on bikes a little big. I'm also a parent of two teens and have been in this spot myself! These "bigger" bikes throw the weight distro off toward the rear of the bike - this impacts front suspension performance negatively. High head tubes/bars and low seat heights are the culprit here.

So everything you are experiencing is something I've had to deal with. It's frustrating for sure but the good news is - it's temporary.."

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
How much sag are you getting on the fork at 50 psi? I've always been told to not worry so much about using all of the travel (that kind of depends on how hard a kid rides). You do want the fork to sit in the sweet-spot, and not be constantly dipping deep into the harsher part of the travel on less than big hits. Getting 20% sag usually gets you close enough to that. I'm guessing little to no rebound damping or compression clicks either.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How much sag are you getting on the fork at 50 psi? I've always been told to not worry so much about using all of the travel (that kind of depends on how hard a kid rides). You do want the fork to sit in the sweet-spot, and not be constantly dipping deep into the harsher part of the travel on less than big hits. Getting 20% sag usually gets you close enough to that. I'm guessing little to no rebound damping or compression clicks either.
Seconding this, and I've heard 30% sag for a more DH/FR oriented situation.

PS. Unrelated: @svinyard check message inbox!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.