Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer my wife and myself were given one Nube Tubeless insert to test. At the time my wife was coming off injury and we were doing a lot of road riding, and it took us a month or two to get around to testing it.

My wife tested it for a week or so and decided to race with it at the Epic ride in Arkansa. She ran a set of Aspen's with the insert in the rear to second place in the elite women's field. She was one of the few riders to not flat.

After this I ordered a set for myself to try. I put the Nube 45s on a set of DT swiss 1200s 25mm internal width with a 2.25 Recon Race in the Rear and a 2.2 Ikon in the front. The inserts weight 70 grams each, I off-set this weight by running less Stans.

Performance:

I am absolutely blown by them.

Since I have put them in I have been doing XC bike PRs on all my local descents. This is significant because right now my XC bike doesn't have a dropper, yet with these in I am descending with high post quick then I do with a dropper.

What is the difference?
First they offer massive bottom out resistance. I am absolutely smashing through rock gardens. I am riding though rock gardens like I have DH casing on. No rim strikes.

2nd the insert gives the tire a lot of support. Usually at XC bike pressures I have to be careful in G-outs and berms to not fold the tire over. The insert stops the tire from folding

3rd Grip: With the insert I can be really aggressive with my air-pressures. For my 140lb weight I am running 16psi in the front and 18psi in the rear. The grip I am getting from the tires is staggering. Even the fast rolling Recon Race is working really well.

I think these are the best up-grade you could do your bike right now.

https://www.corebicycle.com/en/blog...n-of-punctures-for-mtb-mountain-bikes-cycling

https://endubikes.com/nube-tubeless/

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anybody knows the difference between "mtb inserts" vs the $1 dollar pool noodles?

Do they work the same? Look the same to me.
Foam density? One absorbs sealant the other doesn't.

Honestly haven't tried a $1 pool noodle. Don't know anybody who actually has.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You are running it front and rear?

I was thinking about trying something similar, the vittoria air liner, for Moab rocks next year, but just in the rear as front flats are so uncommon.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are running it front and rear?

I was thinking about trying something similar, the vittoria air liner, but just in the rear as front flats are so uncommon.
I am running it front and rear.

I actually think the front makes a bigger difference in ride quality. The ability to ride low pressure with support is significant in my opinion.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would have thought this stuff would be all over tubulars already since the tires and rim have been pretty much standardized for years. I think if I was doing inserts I would target a product line like bontrager since the rims and tires are pretty standard with each cycle of tires. R/C cars use a foam for all of the support. All of the rims are the same size and the tire comes with the insert. You can get them in different softenesses as well. The r/c car rims actually have holes to breath and let the foam do all of the work.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
One of the big benefits of tubeless also less friction. Tubes rubbing with the tire create friction, increasing RR. I assume having sealant with the insert reduces the friction between the insert and tire.

I have the same rims - the DT swiss 1200s, I burp all tires on those rims under 25psi at 150lbs. Wonder if the insert would help reduce the burping? I'd probably be game if they even helped with that. I really prefer NoTubes rims for better low pressure performance.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the big benefits of tubeless also less friction. Tubes rubbing with the tire create friction, increasing RR. I assume having sealant with the insert reduces the friction between the insert and tire.
I haven't done any formal testing of RR. But the bike feels like it is rolling just as quickly as normal. Some formal testing does need to be done though.

·
aka Taprider
1,034 Posts
I find that sealant glues a tube to the tire.
so likely sealant will glue the noodle to the tire too.
therefore no friction from noodle to tire rub
but there is still friction within the tire's threads, rubber and other materials from flexing and likely friction within the noodle otherwise it would bounce around like a super ball

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Similar results

I've been mucking about with the Pepi's and Vittoria noodles for the last three months and would agree completely with what LMN is saying. It's like being able to run tubulars on bomb tracks without worrying about flats.

With Schwalbe, Conti's and Vittoria tires - I've been able to run pressures down @ 15 - 17 psi up front before the tire begins to wallow in hard cornering. 18 -20 in the rear. No burping.

Schwalbe Speedgrip up front [Red], Snakeskin [Blue] in the rear is working well.

Benefits are more pronounced in the front.

The more supple the casing, the more pronounced the improvement.

Easy to mount and dismount - use a clamp to wood clamp to break bead and slip a tire lever in when dismounting.

Speculatively - I think hardtails suddenly have a broader range of application. Full suspension can run different settings

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey LMN
do you still need an armoured or snakeskin sidewall?
can you go a size ? (2.35" with no noodle should be close to same weight as a 2.2" with noodle)
Ultimately, a tougher tire is a tougher tire. But, I think the range where light weight tires work is expanded substantially with a noodle.

As for your 2nd question, my 2.2 Ikon with a noodle is far superior to a 2.35 Ikon without. The guy who first showed us the Nube Inserts, Tommi Misser, was actually running a 2.0Ikon and he was absolutely fly on the downhills.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are they difficult to install? They look very easy but people talk about how hard it is to install cush core so I figure I should ask.
They are super easy to install and remove. The only difference is you need a tire leaver to push the bead on and pull it off.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Very interested in this product. I was at Bentonville as well during that race and saw your wife on the starting line. I suffered 1 rear puncture on Saturday that made me stop 4 times to fix.

Anxious to know what the difference in rolling resistance would be.

I know on dirtbikes, I went from a tubeless setup to a mousse in the rear mid season and had a substantial increase in traction!

1 - 20 of 238 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.